Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10,160 Posts
not me...

Read my comments to your other post. I've got a short torso and don't need a "women's specfic" bike to fit properly. Some of these bikes, like Trek's may have a shorter TT than the mens models, but no shorter than other brands or mens bikes, since Trek TT are longer than any other brand to start with.

Just changing the reach of your handelbars can make as much difference as buying a "women's specific" frame.

·
Registered
10,160 Posts
huh??

If you're not using your hands when riding, how would the stem length have any effect?

The idea that a shorter stem length makes the steering "twitchier" during normal riding (using your hands to steer) is not unfounded, but it is greatly exaggerated. Changing the stem length from 120 to 80mm only reduces the length of the steering arm by about 15%. However the bikes steers, you'll get used to it within one ride. Problems occur when you own mutiple bikes that don't handle similarly.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
saddle tramp said:
Is my impression that shorter stems make steering twitchy no handed?
Most mountain bikes have steering "tiller" lengths (stem length plus handlebar reach) about half of what road bikes have, and yet road bikes have twitchier steering than mountain bikes. Twitchiness is about far more than stem length, and generally more related to steering trail (which is a combination of head angle, fork offset, and wheel diameter)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts