Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My girlfriend is just getting into road biking and we're looking for a road bike for her (she currently rides a modified mountain bike). She is always uncomfortable on the bike she's on and the previous bike she rode (back and neck hurt a lot). I'm sure that the bikes haven't fit her that well, but I'd like to get her onto a bike that will be as comfortable as possible so that she stays in the sport while still allowing her to develop as a middle distance (40-60 mile) road rider. I've been looking at the compact frames. I'd like to stay in the $1000 to $1200 range. Does anyone have any recommendations?

·
Registered
291 Posts
Trek WSD

Find a shop that has good inventories of the Trek WSD models. They have models that are reasonable priced and they are designed to fit women better.

·
Banned
476 Posts
need more comfort in small framed bike

no way to improve her comfort on lower priced small frame bike is better than buying a high grade steel bike

steel frames are smoother in general than Ti or Carbon
and in my experience ALWAYS smoother than aluminum

·
Registered
356 Posts
scott contessa speedster...

just got my wife a scott contessa speedster. 105 gruppo. wsd makes the ride "fit" her better. she's very happy. paid $1100.

·
Banned
41 Posts
My suggestions

mtnnicoll said:
My girlfriend is just getting into road biking and we're looking for a road bike for her (she currently rides a modified mountain bike). She is always uncomfortable on the bike she's on and the previous bike she rode (back and neck hurt a lot). I'm sure that the bikes haven't fit her that well, but I'd like to get her onto a bike that will be as comfortable as possible so that she stays in the sport while still allowing her to develop as a middle distance (40-60 mile) road rider. I've been looking at the compact frames. I'd like to stay in the $1000 to $1200 range. Does anyone have any recommendations?
I don't think this is the true solution -

Look closer and communicate

Exactly what has she said about her previous assuming it was a road bike?

If her back and neck hurt- my riding buddy (racer type) says that means your handlebars are too low and to get a stem riser and a shorter stem

I don't think you really need to purchase a new bike but if you have money to burn - spend away

ps - steel is nice but other factors contribute to rider comfort according to my friend you can get the same comfort level but Higher performance simply by using carbon bars/gel tape and carbon seatpost/gel seat with a lighter aluminum and or carbon setup
This means you have the best of all worlds - comfort/performance/speed

1 - 6 of 6 Posts