Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
668 Posts
jpaine said:
Wife and I just did a great cycling trip to Italy. If you like climbing you will love Italy!
Passo Rolle looks nice and is one of passes/climbes in Itally that I still need to climb, and I have climbed a few :)

·
A Canadian in Sweden
6,136 Posts
Very nice ride report. Inspirational. And pretty neat story about the founder of Pinarello himself.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Thanks for the great report and all the ideas about places to ride in the Veneto foothills. I'd thought about Bassano d Grappa as a promising area for single-day rides -- now your report makes it real specific with routes. Thanks for posting the GPS points to mapping sites -- very helpful for understanding the routes -- so I can ride them on a future trip.

Veneto is my favorite region of Italy for road riding (and other things) -- and not just for hills, it also has plains, e.g. the "Brenta riviera" -- and coastal islands). The closest I've gotten to Borso del Grappa was a loop ride roughly ENE from Valdobbiedene (which is roughly 15km east from Monte Grappa) [ photos ]

btw - seeing your taxi ride from Milano to Borso del Grappa makes me think:
What Sharon and I normally do is rent a station wagon and bring our own car rear rack (and padding) to put bikes on the back. We also arrange our own lodging, and make up our own routes from web trip reports, or from the Touring Club Italiano 1:200000 maps or the Michelin maps - (or many regions of Germany and Switzerland have good bicycling-specific maps).

Gives us a lot of freedom to do non-bicycling things on some days (e.g. Veneto also has awesome climbing and just walking around cities) -- allows us to have two different 4-day bases in a week-long trip -- and saves money compared with lots of organized bike tours (though perhaps not yours).

Ken

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.