Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
21,725 Posts
Wondering about getting a set of Mavic wheels? Then I hope this thread, below, cures you. They should be shish-kebabed on one of their own (too expensive and too hard to obtain) spokes
Aw come on. Give them a break. They're just trying to make a buck!

P.S. You left out the part about how they are over priced, not aero, not laterally stiff, and have a REALLY crappy freehub bearing design. Other than that, it's ALL good!

·
A wheelist
11,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Aw come on. Give them a break. They're just trying to make a buck!
They work the old adage "There's one born every minute" to the max. It's an inexhaustible customer base at their disposal.

You left out the part about how they are over priced, not aero, not laterally stiff, and have a REALLY crappy freehub bearing design.
If there are people that don't know those facts already then they haven't been paying attention (or are new and don't use "search") and I have no sympathy for them. They deserve those wheels.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I was a Mavic fetishist for the longest time 20 years ago, I had two of their groupsets, built wheels with their freewheel and cassette hubs, and was a first-year adopter of the original Cosmic (Cosmic Pro) wheels. I was quite sold-into their design philosophy at the time--heh, I'll be re-building this rear derailleur in 2035! (not)--and that stuff was solidly built.

The cosmic pro wheels were Mavic's answer to the Campy Shamals of course, but that may be where they jumped the shark IMO. I had to get the dustcaps replaced (no biggie) and although they gave me many years of service, there are three spoke hole cracks on the rear d/s flange, and it's on the heap of possible rebuild candidates if I can find an intact rear hub (either freehub). I think it's said that was an example of Mavic marketing customer-product testing as part of their design development early on.

I've been riding a pair of Mavic Ellipse fix gear wheels for a few years as well. Not great wheels, but pretty good for a hack bike.

Mind you, what I've seen of Mavic's current wheels really seems like a step down in finish quality, the hubs look like Lego made them, and I was never really all that impressed with Maxtal (not as durable as their earlier rims). I still like building the odd set of wheels, but most of my mileage is now on factory-built Campy wheels, much better in design, materials, serviceability. But I'm rambling.

I do note that the Lezyne 11-speed chain tool they made for Campy chains, also doubles up as a spoke wrench, including two splined nipple designs specific to Mavic. So there's a tool which addresses two common design complaints at once!

·
Registered
317 Posts
I have had three sets of Ksyrium and one still going, this set has just under 10,000k on them and have never been trued until last week at the bike shop. Of course the spokes were seized but the shop knows the tricks with these wheels and got them loose and re-tensioned.

They are great wheels depending on what model you want and what you will use it for.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.