Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Get off my lawn
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Surely this has been addressed and answered before but doing a search with the proper hint words has left me to seek the answers from those knowlegable & experienced enough to do so. If theres any links to said subject please post them.

My curiosity has gotten the best of me sooooooooooo here it is. When climbing gradients of say 6% or more is there a measurable difference if any in ones HR when using a lower gear W high cadence OR higher gear W lower cadence??

·
Registered
21,542 Posts
Systme loading

orangeclymer said:
When climbing gradients of say 6% or more is there a measurable difference if any in ones HR when using a lower gear W high cadence OR higher gear W lower cadence??
Higher cadence shifts he load from the muscles to the cardiovascular system, resulting in hgiher heart rates at a given level of power output. How much higher will depend very much on the individual and the specifics of the situation.

Higher or lower HR for any given level of exertion is only part of the question, so don't hang your hat on that alone.

·
Get off my lawn
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Kerry Irons said:
Higher cadence shifts he load from the muscles to the cardiovascular system, resulting in higher heart rates at a given level of power output. How much higher will depend very much on the individual and the specifics of the situation.

Higher or lower HR for any given level of exertion is only part of the question, so don't hang your hat on that alone.
thank you.

I'm curious due to some of my experiences as of late where I geared down with my HR very high (for a 53yo) and i've also had times where i was geared higher with a lower HR with relatively the same speed.

·
Impulse Athletic Coaching
5,576 Posts
orangeclymer said:
thank you.

I'm curious due to some of my experiences as of late where I geared down with my HR very high (for a 53yo) and i've also had times where i was geared higher with a lower HR with relatively the same speed.
In general, especially at your age, maintaining a cadence above 85rpm is recommended for keeping your knees out of trouble.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts