Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, long time lurker, first time poster.

I have a bike outfitted with 105s

I am having trouble shifting. It shifts all along the larger 8 cogs but when the derailer gets to the 3rd smallest, the shift lever just does nothing. I can't figure out what the problem is. The limits seem to be alright and I don't think its a simple cable tension thing.

Any ideas on what it could be? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
shift all the way down to the smallest. Loosen the cable, pull any slack and re tighten. Now use the tension adjustment screw where the cable enters the derailleur to fine tune the shifting. If after loosening the cable, the derailleur still wouldn't shift into the smallest cogs, then it is a limit screw adjustment problem. If it is the limit screw, make sure you back out the one marked "H" for high gear, not the "L" for low gear.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
In case this comes up for anyone else.

Had it looked at by a professional. As I suspected, it is NOT a cable tension or limit issue. It appears that the shifter itself is malfunctioning. The tipoff is that it doesn't even try to shift to the last two cogs. The shifter only shifts 7 times allowing access to 8 cogs.

The shifter is under warranty and is on its way to Shimano right now.

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
I have the same problem.
I even went so far as to replace the cables.
nada. shifter is crap.
too bad mine is only 6 years old and a nine speed.
looks like time for a upgrade. Maybe I can get some good deals when the new 09 stuff comes out.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.