Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Loves to Suffer
998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Found it on craigslist. 31lb flywheel. The computer works. It seems like it's built to last and fine for sprinting/climbing. I'll be changing the saddle and pedals. Now I don't have to put the bike on the trainer every day when I can't get outside. Anyone want a good deal on a Mag Plus trainer?

·
Game on, b*tches!
13,467 Posts
I can top that. $15. For a genuine "Johhny G" spinner. I win.:p
Nice catch, btw.

·
Loves to Suffer
998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. Yes, I was a happy camper, er, biker. Any tips on an easy way to switch saddles quickly between my Wife and I? A second post perhaps? She likes the big cushy saddle, but I don't.

·
Loves to Suffer
998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ZoSoSwiM said:
That gold paint and pink decals sure look fast.. sure you can handle it?
I'm gonna give it my best shot. But I didn't buy it for the pretty colors, smart alek.:p

Sould I paint it black with flames or maybe a Zipp logo on the flywheel?

·
I ride in circles..
4,645 Posts
It'll be even faster! Just remember the more logos you have the faster you are.. Everyone will recognize that!

·
Registered
896 Posts
i've been doing 95% of my training year round for 4 years on a Schwinn spinner. its a newer version but it gets the job done, and gets me race ready. do take the time to setup your new spinner as close as possible to your road bike. and never be confused that riding a fixie spinner is the same as a road bike. you will feel like superman on the spinner out of the saddle.

·
Game on, b*tches!
13,467 Posts
My wife (rarely) and my 2 girls (mostly) use it as well. I told them "you'll get used to it" and after a while they haven't complained. Doesn't hurt that there's a TV right in front of it.

·
Loves to Suffer
998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
bauerb said:
it gets the job done, and gets me race ready. do take the time to setup your new spinner as close as possible to your road bike. .
That's the plan. I just have to figure out how to make it an easy switch over for the wife. I am thinking extra seat post.

·
Loves to Suffer
998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, my wife ain't buying the 'you'll get used to it' line. I'll figure something out.

·
corning my own beef
5,713 Posts
Zipp0 said:
Thanks. Yes, I was a happy camper, er, biker. Any tips on an easy way to switch saddles quickly between my Wife and I? A second post perhaps? She likes the big cushy saddle, but I don't.
I rebuilt one of those a few years ago when my daughter was rehabbing a knee. Cowhorn bars, different pedals and saddle, etc...

That seat clamp is a PITA to swap saddles frequently, your best bet is probably a second seat post, as you suggested. One post w/ her comfort saddle, another with yours.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Great deal!

I was going to buy my wife a trainer, but when I took her to the store to see them she decided after to forget about it. She originally wanted an ordinary exercise bike, but I talked her into the trainer. Since she isn't interested in the trainer because of the bother of taking the bike on and off, she now is leaning towards a spin bike. So I say great! I should have stayed with her plan on an exercise bike. It would have been far less expensive. It's costly enough for a decent trainer now a spin bike $$$$$ :eek: . Now if I could find one like what you have that would be awesome. :thumbsup:

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
Kram said:
I can top that. $15. For a genuine "Johhny G" spinner. I win.:p
Nice catch, btw.
Damn...I paid $200 for my JG Pro Spin bike and thought I got a good deal.

·
OUTLAW BIKER
463 Posts
Nice schwinn, I have an airdyne that I bought brand new 20 years ago still like new. The paint on those things is really thick.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Local school had a Johnny G that the kids had trashed, so they were getting rid of it. It cost me around $90 in parts but it works great now.

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
Bocephus Jones II said:
Damn...I paid $200 for my JG Pro Spin bike and thought I got a good deal.
You did.

You just didn't get a "steal".

The Johnny G Spinners are nice in that the fit can be adjusted to match your road bike. At least I did that when I had one several years ago.

·
road bike resurrector
302 Posts
One of my friends took the crank out of one of those, 62t, and put it on his chopper.

·
Loves to Suffer
998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Buddy the beagle is probably scared of it. He's scared of anything new in the house. Just look at the way he is eyeing it up.

Oh, and I had to get 1/2" to 9/16" adapters to use clipless pedals - which is a consideration with these bikes that I didn't know about. The one piece cranks are not cut for standard road pedals. So add about $50 to the cost for the adapers from Harris Cyclery. Still worth it, though, I think.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Zipp0 said:
Oh, and I had to get 1/2" to 9/16" adapters to use clipless pedals - which is a consideration with these bikes that I didn't know about. The one piece cranks are not cut for standard road pedals. So add about $50 to the cost for the adapers from Harris Cyclery. Still worth it, though, I think.
I got that exact spin bike (except mine's gray) at a thrift store for $15. I was going to mention the pedal difference. I solved the problem by installing my old (very old) BMX three piece cranks that have the same bottom bracket size, but use the 9/16 pedals. You can also get a bottom bracket adapter. Your pedal adapters probably cost less, though. I don't know how much they effect the Q factor- you probably shouldn't have problems, though.

I've managed to set mine up to be pretty close to my road bike, but there's not much adjustability in the thing- especially the reach. I think I'm going to take mine to my dad's this summer and we'll chop up the stem and weld it back to get a closer fit.

For an extra seat-post, you'll have to either make one yourself out of a pipe and drill a hole in it, or maybe you can find one on eBay or something. The only way to adjust the seat height less that about 1" at a time is to slide the seat clamp up and down the seatpost, but it doesn't stay very well. If you come up with a better way to adjust it, please post.

The computer on mine also works except for the cadence, so I just use the speedometer. I counted out the cadence and noted the "speed" reading. The timer comes in really handy for interval sessions. I also made a card with marks on it that I taped under/around the tension knob so I have a reference and can get back to the same tension for intervals.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts