Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Warning: X-post from Colnago Forum so don't read again if you already have! :^)

I just ordered a 2005 Colnago Mix in Black w/ red Flags and Veloce 10 from Sierra Trading Post!!! Added on Look PP396 pedals and I got it all, including shipping for $2K!!!

I was comtemplating purchasing this bike from them for a while when a few weeks ago, STP sent me a 1 day only 20% off coupon. I had placed the bike and pedals in my shopping cart but held off because I wanted to make sure that it had 172.5 cranks as it would be the most expensive to replace if it were say 175 or 170. I also wanted to know the stem length, and h-bar width. Other than that, I was set to pull the trigger. I placed a call for technical assistance on these questions and they could not get back to me before the coupon expired so I lost out on the smoking deal, or so I thought! Well, on a wild hair, I called STP today and inquired about the technical questions because if I were to ever get another 20% coupon I would be truly ready to pull the trigger without a moments hesitation. After "inquiring" if were possible to still get the bike (since I learned that it was last 55cm in Black w/ Red) with the 20% discount applied, they said they would research it. I guess they checked to see, if in fact I had placed the item in the shopping cart and whether I had asked the questions. They called me back and said they would honor the discount and ...boom goes the dynamite!! If some of the parts are the wrong size, I guess I could always sell them on ebay!! Besides, the frame is what I really wanted. Anyhow, I want to give major props to STP!! They are best!!

OBTW, I will only need another 15 bikes, all of which will need to be higher end for me to catch up to Terry B or Akaraisho!! LOL. If you 2 read this, a question for ya: How many miles do you get on each of your bikes?? Do you ride one a lot more than others? Some get totally neglected?? I know there are a few others that are in TB and Akas class of bikes but I forget your names- sorry. But for those of you in the same situation, please feel free to answer. Thanks and Ride ON!!!

Stable: '99 Psycle Werks Wild Hare MTB, '00 Klein Quantum Race, '02 Titus Racer X MTB, '02 Fondriest Carb Level, and soon to be '05 Colnago Mix in the mix!!! Can't wait to join the Colnago members club!!

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
Signs of cycling addiction

Striving to amass a collection that rivals compulsive buyers/builders/tinkerers is a baaad sign. Better sell the Klein and Fondriest soon before it's too late.

·
eminence grease
18,538 Posts
We need some pictures!

To your question - each of my road bikes received about 450 miles last year. Some a hundred or so more (I tend to ride the newest ones a little more frequently.) MTBs got about 100 each, I just don't ride the dirt like I used to.

We have the same year Psycle Werks by the way. I'm in the process of switching its parts over to a Yeti ARC that I picked up on eBay - going to try hardtail again for a while.

BTW - 2006 is a year of retrenchment for me. I have 2 in the works but I'm retiring 2 also. This is your opportunity to shoot right past.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've been thinking about selling the Klein but...

SantaCruz said:
Striving to amass a collection that rivals compulsive buyers/builders/tinkerers is a baaad sign. Better sell the Klein and Fondriest soon before it's too late.
It is such a stiff racing rocket! And it is one of the last made in Chehalis, WA before Trek moved all Klein production to WI. Still may consider selling it though. I only want another 2 or 3 roadbikes and maybe one more MTB before I say "unlce".

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Dang!! 450 miles per bike??

terry b said:
We need some pictures!

To your question - each of my road bikes received about 450 miles last year. Some a hundred or so more (I tend to ride the newest ones a little more frequently.) MTBs got about 100 each, I just don't ride the dirt like I used to.

We have the same year Psycle Werks by the way. I'm in the process of switching its parts over to a Yeti ARC that I picked up on eBay - going to try hardtail again for a while.

BTW - 2006 is a year of retrenchment for me. I have 2 in the works but I'm retiring 2 also. This is your opportunity to shoot right past.
So what does that make,about 9000 miles a year of riding?!?!? That is a lot of miles!!! I know what you mean about MTBs not getting the miles- I used to live in Oak Park/Agoura Hills where some of the best MTB trails in Southern Cal are located. I used to ride 3 to 5 X a week on the trails and never get bored of it!! Now that I am at the beach, it is just so much harder to ride the MTB. Still love mountain biking though!!! Carving singletrack is the best thing on 2 wheels!!! Anyhow, I will get some good pics in the near future and post them. I was orginally thinking about getting a Master X-light but the Mix was too good a deal to pass up. I am one of those guys that can't pass up smoking deals. I love Aluminum bikes but eventually I will want a nice lugged steel ride and a high-end CF ride. Take care TB and Ride ON!!!

·
Banned
2,767 Posts
Ride-Fly said:
OBTW, I will only need another 15 bikes, all of which will need to be higher end for me to catch up to Terry B or Akaraisho!! LOL. If you 2 read this, a question for ya: How many miles do you get on each of your bikes?? Do you ride one a lot more than others? Some get totally neglected?? I know there are a few others that are in TB and Akas class of bikes but I forget your names- sorry. But for those of you in the same situation, please feel free to answer. Thanks and Ride ON!!!

Stable: '99 Psycle Werks Wild Hare MTB, '00 Klein Quantum Race, '02 Titus Racer X MTB, '02 Fondriest Carb Level, and soon to be '05 Colnago Mix in the mix!!! Can't wait to join the Colnago members club!!
Ah, you've underestimated TerryB and completely overlooked the Phat man, PSV, who's ramped up bike purchases something like 1200% In fact, PSV just sold his wife into indentured servitude so that he could pick up a Richard Sachs, a Ti exogrid from Bill Holland, and 4 Kish ti frames, each with different colored decals.

·
Cross Bike Collector.....
1,144 Posts
Incorrect information

alienator said:
Ah, you've underestimated TerryB and completely overlooked the Phat man, PSV, who's ramped up bike purchases something like 1200% In fact, PSV just sold his wife into indentured servitude so that he could pick up a Richard Sachs, a Ti exogrid from Bill Holland, and 4 Kish ti frames, each with different colored decals.
I actually passed on the Richard Sachs, Need for Instant gratification is too great. Getting a Vanilla instead. ;) Also only one Kish, trading the other 3 for a Ti Strong, Ti Desalvo and lastly a Colnago Cristallo. :D
Alien have you SEEN that Cristallo, ooohhhh those concave seatstays, I've got to have one of those..........Mom will understand, She'll just have to work harder.

·
Banned
2,767 Posts
Phat&SlowVelo said:
I actually passed on the Richard Sachs, Need for Instant gratification is too great. Getting a Vanilla instead. ;) Also only one Kish, trading the other 3 for a Ti Strong, Ti Desalvo and lastly a Colnago Cristallo. :D
Alien have you SEEN that Cristallo, ooohhhh those concave seatstays, I've got to have one of those..........Mom will understand, She'll just have to work harder.
Yeah, the Cristallo is a looker, but I'd be more likely to throw money down on an Extreme-C. A couple of weeks ago I took a look-see at a DeRosa Prototype 1d, and man was it a looker. Loved the look of the frame w/out the decorative CF matte on top.......just loads and loads of flat black lusciousness. Of course, both of those would have to wait until after I bought either a custom Parlee or Spin or both. And I refuse to buy another frame (for myself, anyway. I might by one for wifey.......I'm thinkin Compact SL or Litespeed Ghisallo for her.....she's real tiny) until after I get a set of Lightweights.....so a new frame for moi will not be happenin' for a while.

WARNING: IMPENDING THREAD DETOUR!!!!

The good news, for moi, is that a bike accident case looks like it will settle in 2ish weeks, so then I'll throw money at the new wheels (Crostini R3.1, White H1 hubs, DT Aerolites), pay off the Claviculas, buy the KMC X10SL chain, order 3 or 4 pairs of Assos bibs and a couple of their cool cowprint jerseys. THEN I'll be ready to post a pic of the Mootsie's near final incarnation.

·
1,144 Posts
Cant wait to see it!

alienator said:
Yeah, the Cristallo is a looker, but I'd be more likely to throw money down on an Extreme-C. A couple of weeks ago I took a look-see at a DeRosa Prototype 1d, and man was it a looker. Loved the look of the frame w/out the decorative CF matte on top.......just loads and loads of flat black lusciousness. Of course, both of those would have to wait until after I bought either a custom Parlee or Spin or both. And I refuse to buy another frame (for myself, anyway. I might by one for wifey.......I'm thinkin Compact SL or Litespeed Ghisallo for her.....she's real tiny) until after I get a set of Lightweights.....so a new frame for moi will not be happenin' for a while.

WARNING: IMPENDING THREAD DETOUR!!!!

The good news, for moi, is that a bike accident case looks like it will settle in 2ish weeks, so then I'll throw money at the new wheels (Crostini R3.1, White H1 hubs, DT Aerolites), pay off the Claviculas, buy the KMC X10SL chain, order 3 or 4 pairs of Assos bibs and a couple of their cool cowprint jerseys. THEN I'll be ready to post a pic of the Mootsie's near final incarnation.
that will be Moot de jour :)

·
Banned
2,767 Posts
Phat&SlowVelo said:
that will be Moot de jour :)
Yup. And mine was definitely a Moot point.

Troy (ligero) emailed me today. The final build spec is the White Ind. hubs, der Crostini R3.1s, and Sapim CX-Rays 24F 2x, 28R 3x. He says he just likes buildin' with them better, and I sorely want the guy buildin' my wheels to be happy 'bout his work. He'll start on 'em in about 2 weeks when I show him the green flag.

·
1,144 Posts
Damn,

alienator said:
Yup. And mine was definitely a Moot point.

Troy (ligero) emailed me today. The final build spec is the White Ind. hubs, der Crostini R3.1s, and Sapim CX-Rays 24F 2x, 28R 3x. He says he just likes buildin' with them better, and I sorely want the guy buildin' my wheels to be happy 'bout his work. He'll start on 'em in about 2 weeks when I show him the green flag.
that wheelset and the Claviculas? (like I know how to spell it) I think your in first place for the Moot De Jour Title! PS. Zippi's got to much money.

G

·
Phat&SlowVelo said:
When you get the Ti Strong lets see some piccies.

I still want a Ti Bike, have wanted one for a long time and never seem to have got my hands on one. I am thinking that this may be the year and if so I will likely go for a custom Ti Strong.

If doing a Ti, may as well go custom right?!

My bike purchases this year have been dealt a major blow by two recent purchases - a new sewing machine for Mom ($7400!!!!!!) and a new car for Mom ( see a trend here?).

If I can get everyone to settle down for a while I may be able to swing a Ti later in the year.

·
Banned
2,767 Posts
toomanybikes said:

I still want a Ti Bike, have wanted one for a long time and never seem to have got my hands on one. I am thinking that this may be the year and if so I will likely go for a custom Ti Strong.

My bike purchases this year have been dealt a major blow by two recent purchases - a new sewing machine for Mom ($7400!!!!!!) and a new car for Mom ( see a trend here?).

If I can get everyone to settle down for a while I may be able to swing a Ti later in the year.
I feel your pain, a bit. We have not one, not two, not three, but four....count 'em, four....industrial sewing machines, here, in addition to three home sewing machines. Last summer, I was able to convince Her to sell off 4 antique sewing machines. And it is Her that drives the car.....I drive it like 4 or so times a month....that is getting the expensive tranny rebuild right now. Geez. Women.

·
Banned
2,767 Posts
toomanybikes said:
My wife Quilts - so the sewing machine gets a lot of work and this will probably be the last machine she ever buys, but holy crap the fabric!? It's everywhere and it's expensive. When we travel she has a book for all of North America by Province and State, all the quilting stores in each and every town along the road.

The car, although expensive I hope will be a good thing. Since the VW diesels are discontinued in North America there are deals to be had and we got a 2005 Passat Wagon with the diesel, brand spanking new, with a $5000 discount cause it was the last one and they wanted to move it.

At least the diesel will be cheaper than the Passat she was driving - super premium, gold-lined ultra expensive fuel.

I'm still driving my old car!
Mine quilts and makes/alters clothes. She usta have her own business when we lived back in the Midwest....was open for like 12 years....but closed it before the move to Tucson. She's thinkin' 'bout starting it up again.

Fabric. Tell me about it. We have about 15-20 of those giant Rubbermaid-ish storage bins filled w/ fabric. Then there are all the boxes filled w/ zippers, buttons. We literally have a wall full of thread....small spools....giant spools. I'm not even going to into all of the issues and numbers surrounding pins and needles.

Our car tranny issue is the first real problem the Subaru (Legacy Outback) has had in 160,000 miles.....so I guess we can't complain too much. The engine still runs great, and the gas mileage is just as good as when it was new (27 mpg avg. highway). The car's gotta last through grad school, so I'm figgerin' that by the time they give me that big degree, the car will have 250,000 or more miles on it.

I can't complain too much, though. I generally can buy whatever I want for der bike without too much resistance from her. She did though voice a few choice expletives the first time I mentioned the Lightweight Obermayers and their cost. That purchase is going to take a little more work to soften her up a bit.

G

·
alienator said:
I feel your pain, a bit. We have not one, not two, not three, but four....count 'em, four....industrial sewing machines, here, in addition to three home sewing machines. Last summer, I was able to convince Her to sell off 4 antique sewing machines. And it is Her that drives the car.....I drive it like 4 or so times a month....that is getting the expensive tranny rebuild right now. Geez. Women.

My wife Quilts - so the sewing machine gets a lot of work and this will probably be the last machine she ever buys, but holy crap the fabric!? It's everywhere and it's expensive. When we travel she has a book for all of North America by Province and State, all the quilting stores in each and every town along the road.

The car, although expensive I hope will be a good thing. Since the VW diesels are discontinued in North America there are deals to be had and we got a 2005 Passat Wagon with the diesel, brand spanking new, with a $5000 discount cause it was the last one and they wanted to move it.

At least the diesel will be cheaper than the Passat she was driving - super premium, gold-lined ultra expensive fuel.

I'm still driving my old car!

·
1,144 Posts
I'm not TerryB

toomanybikes said:

Alien is giving me crap because I've thrown down for a Moots and an IF, there is no Strong, Kish, Desalvo, Vanilla or Colnago in my immediate future. However, mabye in a year or two? who knows, I may be giving Carl a call, you get a 10% discount if your a return customer and that spells a nice chunk out of a custom butted SL 3/2.5 frame :)

·
Banned
2,767 Posts
Phat&SlowVelo said:
Alien is giving me crap because I've thrown down for a Moots and an IF, there is no Strong, Kish, Desalvo, Vanilla or Colnago in my immediate future. However, mabye in a year or two? who knows, I may be giving Carl a call, you get a 10% discount if your a return customer and that spells a nice chunk out of a custom butted SL 3/2.5 frame :)
That's objective, empirical crap, as only a scientist can dish out. I plugged some variables specific to you into Schroedinger's Equation and then used the results to calculate an expectation value for your purchases. Given the probability function derived from Schroedinger's Equation, your purchases and future purchases are far exceeding your expectation value. That can't be right.....I must be missing a variable somewhere.....

·
Banned
2,767 Posts
Ride-Fly said:
It is such a stiff racing rocket! And it is one of the last made in Chehalis, WA before Trek moved all Klein production to WI. Still may consider selling it though. I only want another 2 or 3 roadbikes and maybe one more MTB before I say "unlce".
I can't imagine how bad things have to get for someone to cry "unlce." I mean, they gotta get pretty bad just to cry "uncle." I don't even know what "unlce" means, but it surely strikes fear in my heart. I hope I never get caught in a situation where I have to cry out "unlce." ;)

·
Banned
2,767 Posts
Phat&SlowVelo said:
Alien is giving me crap....:)
Well, I may be deserving of receiving some crap myself, especially considering my grad studentness and the dosh that's draining out of my pocket onto my bike. Sure, I don't have TerryB's or PSV's pathological compulsion for buying frames, but do have to fight the urge to lavish my bike and myself with new bits. At the end of the month, I'll have 3 pairs of Assos bibs coming (F1.13, thankyouverymuch), their cool cowprint jersey...and maybe their swiss cross jersey, too...and a pair of Rudy Project Kersones with two pairs of lenses from Sports Optical so's I don't have to use no stinkin' inserts. And---note I'm now moving into thread stealing territory---since my Mootsie has been such a good girl, I'm gonna reward her with a Colorado trip in July. I had been thinking about the Triple Bypass, but at the same time I wanted to ride from Dad-in-Law's house in Edwards to Steamboat Springs so the girl could see where she was born. Then I got the brilliant idea to skip the Triple Bypass and instead do the Edwards to Steamboat ride. Then ride from Steamboat to Grand Lake, then through Rocky Mountain Nat'l Park, over Trail Ridge Rd., to Estes Park. Then ride from Estes Park to Boulder via Nederland. The finish would be a ride from Boulder back to Edwards. So over 5ish days there'd be over 30,000 ft of climbing with about 400 miles passing under me wheels. So that's the plan, now. Wifey and daughter will get to putz, shop, and sight see in destination towns whilst I pedal their way each day.I think my Mootsie will like this plan muy much.

G

·
I like that plan. When we travel, as a reward for putting up with the destination quilting shops, I pick out a place on the map and say "see you there", then I head off on my two wheels and Mom and the girls head off in the big square box (motorhome).

Possibly some guilt is creeping in, while trip planning this weekend ( spring break is coming up) I was trying to decide what bike to bring with me, my wife suggested that since the kids weren't taking theirs I could take two, or I could take one and BUY one in San Diego, or I could take two and still BUY one in San Diego , or ................

I was speechless. Problem is, now I'm thinking about it. I've been searching for bike shops in SD, looking to see what they have, I have checked out the inventory at Cyclart, I've been on the phone to Paul's in Eugene to see what Mercian frames they have - it's a sickness I tell ya, a sickness.

Now if I happened to find a nice Ti frameset along the way, or a nice CX bike or frameset ....

Oh man!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts