Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
I have been researching wood frame bicycles for some time now. There are actually a few manufacturers that offer high quality pieces but my mind is set on these:
Materia Bikes

Does anyone has any experience with this brand?
They are based in Europe and it looks like they know what they are doing.

Let me know.:cornut:

·
A wheelist
11,324 Posts
Some thoughts from me -

You're posting in the "beginners corner" about frames costing many thousand Euros?
This is your first post.
You're not from the company that makes these frames by any chance are you?

·
Russian Troll Farmer
3,426 Posts
Some thoughts from me -

You're posting in the "beginners corner" about frames costing many thousand Euros?
This is your first post.
You're not from the company that makes these frames by any chance are you?
He's a sockpuppet, I'm certain. Only a beginner with more sense than money would buy such a bike.

·
is riding in MOPP4
695 Posts
A wooden bike holds no interest for me, but I sure would like to try wooden rims. I'm kinda thinkin' that sew ups on wooden rims would be a hell of a nice ride.

Ghisallo Wooden Rims EshopÂ* Turismo/Touring - tubular - Tubular Rims - Rims Â*wooden rims, mudguards, handlebars, frameworks
I would absolutely try a wooden frame, but they are all so expensive. For much less money, and if you're willing to DIY, going bamboo makes more sense. Calfee's got a decent kit, but requires a tool set, which 1) is out of stock, and 2) costs more than the frame kit. I'm considering these guys: Shop Bamboo - Bamboo Bicycle Club - Uk Bamboo Bicycle building workshop

Their prices have gone up over the past few months. I guess they're popular.

·
Registered
11,089 Posts
gee, the OP sounds so genuine.

just a regular joe on the forum who starts his posting history asking about wood bikes.

he's looking for 'opinions,' but is set on one brand...'cause they know what they're doing...

yeah, sure...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well the money isn't a factor for me I'm well in my 40ties and this wouldn't be my first MTB...

I must agree that these bicycles are more of a design statement pieces and I think that's what you get when you look for a wooden frame bike anyway.

I apologize for posting in the wrong section, I'm new to this.
I'm too old for this forum.

·
Cycling induced anoesis
13,006 Posts
Well the money isn't a factor for me I'm well in my 40ties and this wouldn't be my first MTB...

I must agree that these bicycles are more of a design statement pieces and I think that's what you get when you look for a wooden frame bike anyway.

Not sure why you'd think that, but just a FYI... I was older than you when I joined this forum.

As to the bike, I wouldn't buy one simply based on my (likely flawed) preconceived notions. I grew up with steel, so it's gotta be the best frame material, right? :wink5:

It's your money, so your decision. Whether or not you'll look back at some point and do it again, it'll be an experience.

·
is riding in MOPP4
695 Posts

I'm in my 40s and grew up with steel too. Like others here, I've been there and done that on other frame materials (other than bamboo and wood), and still prefer the feel of a well-made steel bike.

I think when a new guy comes to a beginners sub-forum asking about wooden bikes and then posts a website for a bougey company, this raises suspicions about ulterior motives. It's much easier for the skeptics in us to imagine you as a company employee using this forum as a kind of subterfuge to advertise. Most of who we consider to be as true beginners would be asking about offerings from bikes direct, or from the big companies like Trek, Specialized, or Giant--not Materia, who like Coh&Co of Denmark, Aceteam of Germany, and Kiem from France, represent the upper echelon, and more obscure, side of cycling.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.