Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well.. normally i drive a suv which gets 18mpg and my commute is ~20 miles. I have been inspired by many of you and also a fellow co-worker who also commutes regularly...

sooo today i biked to work :) for the first time..

I woke up early and gave myself alot of time.. i pushed somewhat hard to try to get to work within my alloted time.. I ended up getting in a little earlier than I had expected which was great. I wasn't tired as I usually am when I get to work. I actually woke up on my ride which was pretty nice. I also had something to look forward to at the end of the day :) The only thing I regret was not eating breakfast.. I felt the hunger about 1/4 into my ride. Since I ride a pretty secluded route I couldn't stop somewhere and pick up a bite to eat.

One question for all the commuters.. Where do you put your bike? I'd like to bring it to my cube if I continue to do this. I'm going to talk to my manager about this to see if its possible. Is there a good way to approach this subject? I was pretty worried about my bike during the day and went out to check on it a few times. I always have this fear of my bike being stolen. Those of you who are locking it up outside? How are you locking it up? U lock + Cable?

·
angel of the morning
2,992 Posts
good for you :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Whoohoo! With the money you save in gas, you`ll be able to take up smoking!

I can`t give any better advice than you already gave yourself about parking. My bike is a beater and I just leave it at the bike rack in front of the plant with a cable around the top tube and the bikerack. Sounds like that wouldn`t be appropriate for your situation.

·
Downhill Juggernaut
1,673 Posts
A good little tip I picked up from MB1:

If you're wanting security, just buy a really good u-lock (and an additional lock of a different type if you want even more security) and leave them at work. That way you have a rockin' lock at your disposal and you don't have to carry an extra 10 pounds with you when you ride home.

At least that's what I do. Haven't had a problem yet.

·
Downhill Juggernaut
1,673 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yea.. i'm gonna try to figure out how to park my bike in my cube.

Its hard to swallow locking up a madone on the side of the building..

I don't have a beater but I might need to pick one up now if this is what I have to deal with.

I actually went exploring after work today = bonus miles :)

·
Jerkhard Sirdribbledick
27,062 Posts
If not your cubicle, maybe somewhere else inside the office. I bring my road bike into clients' offices all the time.

Good on ya for taking the plunge.

·
MING
419 Posts
i talked to my boss about parking my bike this way-

four feet by one foot inside sure beats fourteen feet by six feet outside, parking is at a premium for us.

i park my bike in our long term document storage room.

·
Premium Member
21,853 Posts
One less car!

By the end of your first month of commuting you are going to be a pro at it. I suggest you stock up your cube with some underwear and socks, spare tube, tire, pumg and baby wipes plus a little extra food.

·
Registered
187 Posts
smokey0066 said:
Yea.. i'm gonna try to figure out how to park my bike in my cube.

Its hard to swallow locking up a madone on the side of the building..

I don't have a beater but I might need to pick one up now if this is what I have to deal with.

I actually went exploring after work today = bonus miles :)
I used to work with a guy who parked his Moots in the men's room. I leave my bike outside our building unlocked and have never had a problem. (This is in a business park, with no through traffic, and the bike is not visible from the road)

Where does your co-worker park his (her?) bike?

Paul

·
It's not TOO Cold!
2,497 Posts
'Tis easier to ask forgiveness, than permission. If it becomes and issue, ask what they suggest.

Bike was in cube, owner did not like it, provided secure location is shop, for now up to 4 bikes at any one time.

Not too long ago I was the only person riding, we will see how long the rest last, I think they are weak.

·
Bacon!
9,193 Posts
I leave my bike in the cube. I also leave a u-lock and cable lock attached to a bike rack at my gym so I can shower before work (just a short distance from my office). One piece of saving grace was when my division head gave me permission to keep a small fridge under my desk. I pack it with food on Monday so I can ride the rest of the week (I drive in on Mondays) without worrying about food. I also have a file cabinet drawer filled with dry goods. I leave a belt and shoes at work so I don't have to worry about the weight.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yea.. i think i'm going to just sneak it in through the shipping dock and walk it over to my cube; I was thinking about it at work today and I think this will be the best way to get it in with the least amount of visibility. If they make a big deal about it i guess I'll ask for forgiveness :)

MB1, I already cleaned out a 2 drawer file cabinet last week to store all my stuff for cycling. I have a box of wipes and I carry tubes with me. I'm planning on only doing this 2 or 3 times a week so I'm going to bring clothes for the week before hand and place it in my cabinet.

Slim, If my bike did get stolen at work would I be able to file a claim through work? I'm not sure I understand how that works. And I've never thought about what I would do. I was under the assumption that i would file against my homeowners policy if something did happen. We have rent-a-cops wandering the property which I bet they'll use to argue that its safe enough.

Anyways I better get some rest.. gonna give it another go tomorrow.. I think tues/thurs will be my schedule for the next few weeks.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Well, parked in your cube is one thing, but there may be a decent place to lock it up elsewhere inside the building. (Just because it's inside doesn't always mean it's safe.)

re: beaters, they do make a world of difference. With a little effort removing labels and doing a few other things, you can get a pretty decent used bike to look like a moderately crappy old bike... or at least one that's a lot less shiny than one of the other bikes nearby. Remember, when being chased by a bear, you only have to be faster than someone else. When it comes to bike theft, you just have to be a less attractive target. Everyone loves something shiny and new, but having good paint does nothing to improve the ride quality or mechanical performance. A *good* beater will be functionally perfect... it just won't look like much.

Rock on...

·
Failboat Captian
6,559 Posts
Be careful with the whole "permission vs forgiveness" thing at work. Obviously, it depends on your boss' personality, as well as a facility manager, if you have one. You might run into a situation where the boss or facil. mgr feels you were trying to get one past him/her, so he decides to say No for no good reason, other than to assert his authority. He might have said yes if you asked first.

As for commuting with the Madone, mabe it's time for a new bike. The amount you'll save in gas alone will pay for a new, inexpensive commuter in only a couple of months. Maybe go single speed because it's lower maintenance and cheaper, and maybe get one that can handle wider tires. Then, you won't have to worry about wear and tear on your good bike, or about theft (as much).

·
Registered
381 Posts
JohnnyTooBad said:
Be careful with the whole "permission vs forgiveness" thing at work. Obviously, it depends on your boss' personality, as well as a facility manager, if you have one. You might run into a situation where the boss or facil. mgr feels you were trying to get one past him/her, so he decides to say No for no good reason, other than to assert his authority. He might have said yes if you asked first.

As for commuting with the Madone, mabe it's time for a new bike. The amount you'll save in gas alone will pay for a new, inexpensive commuter in only a couple of months. Maybe go single speed because it's lower maintenance and cheaper, and maybe get one that can handle wider tires. Then, you won't have to worry about wear and tear on your good bike, or about theft (as much).
+1 on getting an old bike and setting it up as a commuter. I picked up a barley used late '80's/early '90's Specialized Hard Rock Ultra for $50 off of Craigslist last summer. It is an ugly two tone pink/purple fade paint job that was so common at that time. I doubt anyone would really want to steal it because it is soooo ugly. I set it up with racks, slicks, and fenders. In fact, I spent more on the new stuff than I spent on the bike, but even at that, I have less than $150 into the bike. It all added up to a very cheap and reliable commuter.

Later,

Jay

·
Registered
309 Posts
What kind of U-lock. Is it one of the old types where you can open it with a ball point pen, or the new type that uses a regular padlock type key. Some people are still not up on the fact that you can open some U-Lock's with a ball point pen. I got lucky, the thief only jammed my lock.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.