Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Yo no fui.
8,486 Posts
Just another reason to do what I'm already doing. Thanks.

·
Registered
11,561 Posts
Armchair Spaceman said:
It's not been published yet, as I don't recall seeing it, but should be interesting. Just looking at the abstract on Pubmed and the article a few things jump out.

“If you have 66 per cent more fuel for the next day’s training or competition, there’s no question you’ll be able to go further and faster,” Professor Hawley, Head of RMIT’s Exercise Metabolism Group, said.

You have to keep in mind that just because you have 66% more at the end of whatever period they measured glycogen resynthesis (a few hours post exercise), that doesn't mean there will necessarily be more there the next day, since you presumably would continue to eat and glycogen levels could equal out between the two groups.

Also, from my perspective people use the term "recovery" loosely. Clearly shows greater "acute" glycogen resynthesis in the hours post-exercise but again we don't know if that carries over to the next day and we don't know how that affects performance. Recovery to me means the ability to repeat today's performance tomorrow. I can't actually recall ever seeing a study that measured true recovery, looking at repeat performances on successive days in different groups.

·
Impulse Athletic Coaching
5,758 Posts
8mg/kg of body weight is ridiculously high. That's approximately 7-8 espresso shots for a 70kg rider. Also, if you aren't already used to high caffeine amounts, 8mg/kg will send you off the wall in into heart attack mode. If you do not usually take lots of caffeine, something like 5mg/kg should have the same benefit.

Only recently has WADA removed the ban on caffeine, which I think was at 5 or 6mg/kg. I once took 6mg/kg (i'm a non-coffee drinker) and had to drop out of the local group ride. My starting HR, before even moving, was 85% of my max.

·
Registered
11,561 Posts
iliveonnitro said:
8mg/kg of body weight is ridiculously high.
Right so another issue is, how much do you have to drink to get this effect?

There are studies out there that show if you ingest pH buffers like sodium phosphate it can improve endurance performance. I've tried it in the amounts the studies use. It is absolutely unpalatable mixed in a drink and even taken as (many) capsules it still caused pretty unpleasant GI effects. So sometimes the "cure" is worse than the "disease".

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.