Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
What the what???
12,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lately, I have been lamenting the amount of rain we've received in Iowa this spring and summer. It's now official. YTD this has been the rainiest year...ever.

Last night we had another round of storms and around 2.5 inches of rain where I live. The rain was done by 3 or 4am. Twelve hours later, I tried to go on my typical 20-mile out-and-back. I came over a slight rise in the road and found this:

All things considered, we're lucky. The basement is still dry.

·
Bacon!
9,190 Posts
Time to switch to the kayak.

·
Call me a Fred
16,999 Posts
How is the ark building going?

·
More carbon fiber please!
791 Posts
We're in Wloo/CF and have seen the mess at ISU down in Ames on the news, wow. Flooding sucks.

·
What the what???
12,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
MikeBiker said:
How is the ark building going?
Yeah. So far, it's just been a mild inconvenience for me, but for a lot of folks it's pretty bad. I wasn't here in '93 when they had (what was then) the worst flooding in the state's history, but there are areas now where folks are already saying this flooding is worse. Storms predicted again on Friday. In the meantime, we've got a heat wave and all the moisture pushes the humidity into the heat-advisory category.

·
your text here
13,192 Posts
wow. i remember being in cedar falls after the big floods in the early 90s. you know, back when miller started canning water for the flood victims. had a friends from ames who worked at a camp in boone and they were ravaged. some country star saw the damage and donated a brand new building. nowadays i imagine the looks on the lil faces when they see the billy ray cyrus building...

G

·
What's a cubit?

This is our third 100 year flood in 17 years, second in 3 years.

We're 10 miles from Des Moines near Saylorville Lake - have had 11 inches of rain in the past 65 hours, Daughter lives in Ames, they've had it worse than us.

She called this morning to ask what to do if the airbag, transmission, check engine and seatbelt idiot lights are all lit and won't go out? Seems her car was full of water this morning. After she wet vac'd it out and on her way to class, she happened to notice those little lights on her dashboard. Insurance adjuster verbally made the "total loss" comment, will be out to inspect tomorrow morning.

After getting daughter squared away with rental car, spent the rest of this afternoon helping neighbors pull carpet/drywall out of flooded basements.

Local news just reported major water main break in Ames that the City can't seem to locate. At least one water tower drained before they discovered the problem. Can't drink the water without boiling, City asking people not to shower or flush the toilets. Heat index was 110 degrees today with 80 some percent humidity. Same forecast for tomorrow. Glad I'm not working in an office building in Ames Iowa tomorrow.

·
Call me a Fred
16,999 Posts
Maybe the state should be renamed Lake Iowa.

·
What the what???
12,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm not too far from you. I think we're watching the same news.

·
More carbon fiber please!
791 Posts
A guy I know has/had a boat shop down there; Dave's Marine & Sports.

·
What the what???
12,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
billium said:
What is it with Mother Nature and trailer parks?
My wife and I were discussing this last night. I have mixed emotions.

I've ridden the Four Mile Creek trail numerous times and I know how close some of those houses, and the trailer park, are to the creek.

I feel awful for the folks there who have lost everything, but at the same time, it floods there so often that I have to ask why/how they didn't anticipate it? Is it a question of economics, or do they think it somehow can't/won't happen to them?

·
donuts?
8,945 Posts
i ALMOST pulled the canoe out of the backyard to go to work this morning. within 3 minutes of the rain starting, two empty 55 gallon rain barrels were full. wow.

G

·
I have mixed emotions
I'm with you on this one. Sympathetic the first time flooded out (regardless of house or trailer), empathetic the second time, after that I think to myself, " how many times does it take"? Des Moines TV crews love to go to Birdland Marina area every time this happens. They've been flooded so many times in the past 10 years that they should have their homes on stilts ala coastal homes on the Atlantic.

Still, between tornados and flooding in the Midwest, you'd have to be a hell of a salesman to get me in one of those mobile h........ahhh........pre-manufactured homes.

You must be close by if you ride Four Mile Creek.

I Almost pulled the canoe out of the backyard
If you're nearby, don't worry about moving it today. Heavy rains forecast for Fiday......the canoe may be waiting at your front door by then.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.