Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Grey Manrod
9,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My bike commute is 80% MUT, so I'm lucky. The last 10 minutes to my office, I cut through a residential neighborhood. Most of the way there's very little traffic, and given the size of the streets, number of stop signs, the traffic I do encounter is pretty calm.

However, right before I exit the neighborhood to enter the commercially-zoned land of office drones, there's a four-way stop-signed intersection. From there, there is a 30 mph road up to a traffic light that puts you out onto a major road. The street is lined with houses on both sides, fairly wide, straight and has good visibility. The road surface is in poor shape - lots of potholes, patch jobs, etc. - and there are no sidewalks on the right-hand side as you approach the traffic light.

For some reason, people haul ass up that road, even though it is 95% guaranteed that you will have to stop at the light. Still, I guess they need to save that second and a half and get to the light FASTER. Mix in some cars coming the other way, and sometimes the street gets a little crowded.

So, Thursday - I'm heading down this street, approaching the traffic light. An older woman (mid 60's I would guess) is walking down the side of the road that has no sidewalk. Cars are coming up behind me, and there's a tree service truck approaching. No worries because there is room for everybody. I slide over a bit to give the woman room (rather than run into her or push her off into somebody's landscaping), still well within my 3 feet of lane.

Enter the @sshole. Guy in a lexis right behind me, LAYS on the horn. Not just a "hey, watch out, I'm behind you," but angry blasting of the horn. This, in turn, causes me to not only nearly crap my lycra, but also causes a reflexive stream of profanity and blasphemy of the drunken-sailor-at-a-truckstop variety.

Angry lexis guy proceeds another 25 yards, whereupon he must stop in the line of 50 cars in order to make his left turn.

I look up to see a group of young school kids and some assorted parents staring at me with wide eyes and mouths open. All I could do was shout across the street, "Sorry!"

I kinda wish I had thought to say, " and don't forget to share the road, you little ***********!" but I was worried about the guy in the lexis shooting me as I rode by. Oh well.

·
Call me a Fred
16,999 Posts
Potty Mouther.

·
Adventure Seeker
5,115 Posts
Amazing how everyone needs to race to a stop light so they can wait longer.

704 Posts
Everyone needs to let loose a profanity laced tirade every so often...gets the negative energy out. At least you had a good reason. Reading your post I thought you were gonna say the horn caused you to crash into the old lady... that would really been a big whoops.

·
still shedding season
8,849 Posts
Peanya said:
Amazing how everyone needs to race to a stop light so they can wait longer.
Read at lexusdriverreviews.com: "The brakes in this thing don't last for crap! They really should do a better job on this!"

1 - 7 of 7 Posts