Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Not Banned
49,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Congrats. Yeah I know having MVdP absent made things easier but the fact that Wout won all 3 series plus the WC is a heckuva achievement.

·
Forever a Student
4,963 Posts

Dominating season indeed. He works really hard and deserves it. Early in the season I actually got kind of sick of seeing him just ride away solo race after race. When the champ came back and started laying it down it got really interesting and for the rest of the season it was great. The studs out there now are quite young so it should be several more seasons of awesome on the horizon.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
A huge accomplishment for Wout. That said, he wouldn't have managed with MvdP around, and watching him or Mathieu without the other there to mix it up just seems wrong.

Looking forward to many epic battles...

·
Registered
3,135 Posts
A huge accomplishment for Wout. That said, he wouldn't have managed with MvdP around, and watching him or Mathieu without the other there to mix it up just seems wrong.

Looking forward to many epic battles...
Dont get to excited, all ready rumors that MvdP is going to the road.

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
It seems like MvdP has that combination of endurance and punch that would make him a natural for classics racing. Wout, on the other hand, veers more towards pure endurance, which serves him really well when conditions are slow and heavy.

That said, both are huge talents and it would be no surprise to see both of them get swooped away by road contracts.

·
Not Banned
49,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
MVdP has already won the World Junior Road race and has some great road results. His dad was the last who did well in both. I hope he keeps racing cross as he and Wout are a dynamic rivalry

·
Registered
228 Posts
I enjoy watching MvdP race more so than Wout. MvdP races with panache and he has fun on the bike. Wout is just a grinder, an extremely powerful grinder.

·
Do not touch the trim.
2,381 Posts
Wout is awesome because he NEVER gives up whereas MvdP is a bit of a headcase, If things don't go exactly right he seems to shut down.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Wout is awesome because he NEVER gives up whereas MvdP is a bit of a headcase, If things don't go exactly right he seems to shut down.
I could be wrong, but I think what you saw this season was Wout going for the general classifications in all the different series so he could never give up. MvdP, on the other hand, started the season late due to his knee surgery. Therefore, he was out of all the general classifications so he was just going for wins. If he saw he was on a bad day, no reason to go too deep, just show up the next race and take the win. Once he fully recovered from his knee injury, I don't think he ever went two races without taking the win.

·
Not Banned
49,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
they both shook up the elite status quo by just being faster. Where the older riders were going tactical, sitting on, waiting for a final move Wout and MVdP just frigging hit the gas. Already excited for next season when they both are healthy (hopefully). MVdP piled a heap of wins late but that may be because he was fresh. Everyone else had months of hard racing in their legs. I don't think he's as dominant as he appeared near the end. Kind of similar to how Vos would show late in the season and then destroy through worlds

·
Do not touch the trim.
2,381 Posts
I could be wrong, but I think what you saw this season was Wout going for the general classifications in all the different series so he could never give up. MvdP, on the other hand, started the season late due to his knee surgery. Therefore, he was out of all the general classifications so he was just going for wins. If he saw he was on a bad day, no reason to go too deep, just show up the next race and take the win. Once he fully recovered from his knee injury, I don't think he ever went two races without taking the win.
Worlds. Both off the back after the incident, Wout put his head down and won, MvdP mailed it in. No "next race" to think about.

·
Not Banned
49,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Worlds. Both off the back after the incident, Wout put his head down and won, MvdP mailed it in. No "next race" to think about.
MVdP chased all the way back to 3rd. So I wouldn't call it 'mailing it in'. My guess is he was so deep in the red zone chasing he either blew or when he realized he wasn't going to catch Lars and Wout he broke mentally.

·
Not Banned
49,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

·
Mountain biker
315 Posts
MvdP will be racing in the Cyprus Sunshine Cup MTB race this weekend in his first MTB race ever. He'll be going up against some of the best MTBers in the world. It should be interesting.

Cyclo Cross stars to race on Cyprus - Cyclingcy.com
There's discussion going on about MVdP's MTB experiment over in the World Cup 2016 thread in MTBR - XC racing among us MTB XC geeks. Lot's of eyebrow raising on photos of him riding a Stevens MTB with a rigid fork and wondering why with the increasing popularity of burly rock gardens and other tech sections. And if he is too big to climb the with the leaders in MTB XC. Not that MVdP is huge, but there's no denying he's tall and therefore a bit heavier than say Schurter or Absalon. I'm a big MVdP fan though and as much of a CX geek as a MTB XC one, so I'll be cheering for him.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts