Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· RBR Veteran Opinionater
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I love seeing folks find their own solutions for cycling. This guy has aero stuff about a foot or more higher than you are used to seeing, and on a bike with fenders and panners. For so many reasons I love this...

For the bike snobs who will gnash their teeth to powder upon seeing him,

That he has made riding a bike work for him.

One less car.

Defying convention.

The freedom of being an old man.

· NeoRetroGrouch
6,493 Posts
brujenn said:
I love seeing folks find their own solutions for cycling. This guy has aero stuff about a foot or more higher than you are used to seeing, and on a bike with fenders and panners. For so many reasons I love this...

For the bike snobs who will gnash their teeth to powder upon seeing him,

That he has made riding a bike work for him.

One less car.

Defying convention.

The freedom of being an old man.
+1 - He even has a suspension fork, no? So many times we believe that every rider is just like us (or at least should be) and needs to do what we do. - TF

· Banned
7,191 Posts
Any bike that gets ridden is a good bike- a f'd up set up like this is far better than a magazine-perfect 15 pound bike that never gets out of the garage...

Years ago I put aero bars on my MTB- it's surprisingly comfortable on long rides...

· eminence grease
18,559 Posts
I see these folks all the time on one of the MUTs I ride. Hybrids and even mountain bikes with aerobars. They peacefully and apparently comfortable having a nice, relaxed ride. Clearly it's about comfort - they find supporting themselves this way easy on their back (?) and a nice way to get into a relaxing ride.

Makes me immediately wonder about whole Rivendell philosophy of high bars and sitting upright. These folks have found a solution that would seem at face value to be contrary to that way of looking at things.

· Incredibly slow
581 Posts
The building I work in has around 600 people in it, only 5 of us ride in occasionally, and it is a really odd mix of bikes: a recumbent, a front-suspended hard-tail with knobbies, a full suspension mtb with knobbies AND aero bars, a 90s era Trek, and my 1981 Centurion. I always do a double take when I see the aero bars.

· Registered
1,325 Posts
Years ago, before the hybrid upright riding boom, I used to see a guy on our local rail trail that had two sets of bar ends of his mountain bike. The second set was attached to the first set and were pointing straight up. By doing this he was sitting up almost vertically, but his hands were about 12 inches from the brake levers. I used to see him all of the time so it got him off the couch and onto a bike, but it sure seemed dangerous.

· Clyde-o-Matic
728 Posts
I have a bike set up very much the same way. The aerobar serves two benefits as it will allow you to get into a faster position (aero) and also give your hands a break on longer rides. I don't ride that particular bike much anymore but when I lived in Europe and had only one bike with me, that bike did everything but race. I took the kids to school on it, hauled groceries, toured, commuted to work, and even went on group rides.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.