Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Slightly Opinionated
10,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The guy I'm working for now I've been covering him for about a year. He got cancer, and was basically disabled. What was supposed to be a temporary thing, is no longer temporary.

He's trying to get me to sign a longer term contract with him to keep me in this office. Catch is that I'd be there 3 days a week for 25% less of my current salary. His office is for sale, and in a way he'd be negotiating to keep me in the office and keep me employed there with the new buyer (when one is found.)

Alternative is to return to 5 days a week at my full salary, with my old boss in a much busier office.

On one hand, I enjoy having the free time. On the other, I don't appreciate being treated like furniture and could use the extra scratch.

I've NO clue what to do....ugh. Help?

·
Captain Obvious
11,876 Posts
buy the current office.

·
haole from the mainland
5,962 Posts
Negotiate 85% of your current (I'm assuming full-time) salary.

A friend of mine used to work for one of the big accounting firms. She worked 3 days a week at 85% pay. I'd take that deal in a heartbeat.

·
still shedding season
8,849 Posts
tomk96 said:
buy the current office.
Maybe, but throw that "free time" idea right out the window. Free time is pretty valuable to me, so if I could afford to be out whatever difference is I'd sign on the dotted line.

·
Back from the dead
20,626 Posts
Three days at 75% salary could be considered a raise!

Think of it this way. You make $100 for 5 days work, or $20 a day. They are offering you $75 for three days work, or $25 a day. So you're making $5 a day more!

The real questions are:

1. Can you take a 25% paycut without it affecting your life or lifestyle? (married? kids?)

2. What the hell are you going to do with two extra days off per week? It sounds great, but it could get old. You could find yourself sitting on the couch, eating twikies and watching soaps all day.

·
No hero that's understood
6,100 Posts
I'd go back at 3 days a week and the same salary.

The risk you are running if you don't is that you wind up in the busier office with a reduced salary.

I'm not making any judgments here, but I would have to assume that 25% of your salary is not enough to break the company. So, if he wants you to stay, he needs to pay.

·
Back from the dead
20,626 Posts
That's a good point. Giving up 25% is easy. Getting it back when they ask you to work 5 days a week again is hard. If nothing else, you need to add two things to your contract:

1. What do you get paid if they need you to work more than three days in any given week? And how often can they ask you to temporarily work more days per week before you consider it permanent?

2. If adding days does become permanent, your salary will increase by 12.5% of the original salary for each day. So you get your 25% back if you go back to 5 days.

·
Moderatus Puisne
15,883 Posts
I would do it -- the 3 days a week thing -- but I don't have kids and wouldn't understand.

If it came to it, could you contract or do some other work for any given additional 2 days' a week to make up the difference?

I value my "me time" quite a bit.

·
Slightly Opinionated
10,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So my decision is made.

This guy will not pay the additional 25%, and the office will need to be open more when/if things get busier. This will not likely come with any increase in salary.

I'm going to give him about 6-7 weeks to get his act together and find another cover, then take a week or two to myself of personal time, then go back to my regular office.

This whole episode went from doing a favor covering for a few months to devolving into a mess. Time to extricate myself from it and brighten my outlook on things.

·
Seat's not level
19,371 Posts
robdamanii said:
So my decision is made.

This guy will not pay the additional 25%, and the office will need to be open more when/if things get busier. This will not likely come with any increase in salary.

I'm going to give him about 6-7 weeks to get his act together and find another cover, then take a week or two to myself of personal time, then go back to my regular office.

This whole episode went from doing a favor covering for a few months to devolving into a mess. Time to extricate myself from it and brighten my outlook on things.
No good deed goes unpunished...

Sounds like you made a good decision.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts