Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got a new LS Ti frame. Sweet ride. The question I have is this. Is it safe to use a work stand clamp on the frame itself? Yes, I know I can use the seat post, but sometimes it would be handier to use the frame.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I wouldn't even consider clamping the frame. nm

vibiker said:
Just got a new LS Ti frame. Sweet ride. The question I have is this. Is it safe to use a work stand clamp on the frame itself? Yes, I know I can use the seat post, but sometimes it would be handier to use the frame.
Don't do it. :eek:

·
Registered
5,098 Posts
... in some cases, it depends on the type of clamp and what you plan to do...

... while it's generally agreed that you don't clamp frame tubing (regardless of material), I find it useful and possible using an Ultimate Pro stand...

I've got a P2K and GT Vengeance with a proprietary seatposts... which makes traditional clamping difficult to impossible... for light duty service... I clamp the top tube (with additional padding) using the Ultimate Pro's clutch clamping nob... which is easier to regulate (albeit, by feel) clamp pressure... Of course for heavier duties, I have to come up with an alternate plan (even if it means foregoing a stand altogether).

So, to answer your question, a definite maybe...

·
Registered
8 Posts
I do

vibiker said:
Never had any idea you weren't "supposed to" until I saw people talking about it on here. I've got 10 bikes in the garage, most steel, some AL, and I clamp top tube or seat tube all the time. It's a pain in the rear to remove seat pack every time I want to do something. Never had a bit of trouble with it.

·
Premium Member
20,473 Posts
vibiker said:
I always clamp the top tube but I use the Ultimate workstand. It uses a screw type clamp so I can control the pressure. I've done it with steel, aluminum and carbon frames.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I have the Preformance Spin Doctor Essential ( http://www.performancebike.com/shop/large_photo.cfm?SKU=3636&Store=Bike ) bike stand that rests the bike on the BB and clamps on the downtube-it's surprisingly stable and easy to work with-and it only cost $49!! I just make sure to put a felt pad where the clamp is so it doesn't scuff up my TCR1. Bikes are more than strong enought to be clamped anywhere...it's just a matter of preffrence...

·
Registered
110 Posts
I've been using the Ultimate Consumer repair stand (first on my fat-tubed Klein and now on my Indy Fab Ti Crown Jewel), and I couldn't be happier with it. The clamp allows you to apply as little or as much force on the top tube as you need, which is so much more convenient than the Park stand I was using. The average person doesn't need the Ultimate Pro; the Ultimate Consumer will do just fine.

·
n00bsauce
13,507 Posts
If your seatpost extends far enough into the seat tube

You can safely clamp on the seat tube. The seatpost will reinforce the seat tube and make clamping safe. That said, never overdo the clamping force and make sure you protect the finish of the frame with some padding. I wouldn't clamp on the top tube with much force.

·
You talking to me?
736 Posts
Mel Erickson said:
never overdo the clamping force and make sure you protect the finish of the frame with some padding.
and make sure the rag(s) you use for protection don't have any residual solvent or something similar. Wasn't it Doug who did this and ended up having to repaint the frame??? :eek:

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
Mel Erickson said:
You can safely clamp on the seat tube. The seatpost will reinforce the seat tube and make clamping safe. That said, never overdo the clamping force and make sure you protect the finish of the frame with some padding. I wouldn't clamp on the top tube with much force.
Yep, it's usually gonna be pretty safe to clamp 'em on the seat tube right under the top tube. This also secures the bike better for working on it than clamping the top tube, where the bike can rock back and forth.

·
Registered
48 Posts
RemingtonShowdown said:
I have the Preformance Spin Doctor Essential ( http://www.performancebike.com/shop/large_photo.cfm?SKU=3636&Store=Bike ) bike stand that rests the bike on the BB and clamps on the downtube-it's surprisingly stable and easy to work with-and it only cost $49!! I just make sure to put a felt pad where the clamp is so it doesn't scuff up my TCR1. Bikes are more than strong enought to be clamped anywhere...it's just a matter of preffrence...
I used to do all my work on my old bike with no stand at all. I have the same stand as you and find it very handy, in spite of all the recommendations in favor of better stands.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Update info (at least for LS owners anyway)

Just got off the phone with Litespeed. They said that it is safe to clamp anywhere on any of their Ti frames.

Happy wrenching.....

·
Registered
5,098 Posts
vibiker said:
Just got off the phone with Litespeed. They said that it is safe to clamp anywhere on any of their Ti frames.

Happy wrenching.....
.... ahhhh, they're just interested in selling you a new Litespeed!!! <J/K> :p

·
Registered
982 Posts
I never really thought of this before. I think I will start using this method instead of readjusting my seat height every time I need to use my repair stand. I'll be sure to wrap my clamp with a terry cloth to provide some padding.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Been clamping my frame using the top tube for almost 4 years now on all of my CF bikes. My stand uses a clamp that you have to screw down, so force is very controllable. I also put a microfiber towel around the frame as well.

Cant clamp mine on the seatpost under the top tube and as said it is a pain to remove the tailbag every time as my bike stays on the maintenance rack when not in use.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I clamp my 96 LS Classic (ti) on the seat tube, on my Park PCS-9, mainly because of the exposed brake cable routing on the top tube of my LS.

·
'brifter' is f'ing stupid
15,505 Posts
I never really thought of this before. I think I will start using this method instead of readjusting my seat height every time I need to use my repair stand. I'll be sure to wrap my clamp with a terry cloth to provide some padding.
Did you happen to notice that the post previous to yours was from 11 1/2 years ago? Must be some pretty intense interest in this subject...

·
Registered
3,148 Posts
I clamp my 96 LS Classic (ti) on the seat tube, on my Park PCS-9, mainly because of the exposed brake cable routing on the top tube of my LS.

Isn't there slots in the clamp for the cable runs? Like every other one I have ever used?

;)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts