Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Apologies if this has been addressed previously...searched earlier threads and didn't find anything....

Looking for work stand recommendations. Not going to get a ton of use, but would like to get something decent, at a reasonable price.

Your suggestions/recommendations are greatly appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,507 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,457 Posts
Apologies if this has been addressed previously...searched earlier threads and didn't find anything....

Looking for work stand recommendations. Not going to get a ton of use, but would like to get something decent, at a reasonable price.

Your suggestions/recommendations are greatly appreciated.

Thanks
I have a feedback sports, Sport Bike Stand.
Sport-Mechanic Work Stand

It's a little less expensive than the Park Tools Home mechanic stand, but I think the tripod is more stable, some may but put off by:
- the clamp
- the rotating mechanism to rotate the bike

I used my REI Dividends to buy it....

·
Registered
159 Posts
The Feedback sport elite stand is great. I have used their lower models before and although perfectly fine, I am spoiled by the quick release and clamp feature on the elite model. On ebay, the price difference is not much and if you ever try the elite model after trying the classic, you'd be convinced to get the elite.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I made my own stand the other night

I normally place the bike upside down on a handlebar holder so I can service the chain and wheels. This method would not work for changing the headset bearings so I needed to make a more conventional work stand to hold the front up.

I already had a vise on my workbench so I made a simple clamp out of 2x4 wood a hinge, some rubber sheet, a carriage bolt and a wing nut. Total cost was less than $10. I am happy the way it came out. The headset bearing swap went well.

Ride Safe,

Joe

·
Frog Whisperer
41,018 Posts
I have an Ultimate, who is no longer making repair stands. However, Feedback took over their line apparently, so with that, I will recommend the feedback also.

·
Registered
237 Posts
M Ice,

You are welcome. I only built the top tube clamp stand because I had to change the headset bearings. I normally use my upside down $3 work stand.
Joe's Bicycle Page

I use this stand all the time for my wheel and chain maintenance and it works great. Last night I used my new frame stand to take the chain off to clean and lube it. What a pain. I found it much easier to loop the chain back on with the chain and sprockets facing up.

Ride Safe,

Joe

·
Not a rocket surgeon.
9,402 Posts
Two issues here,

1- you cant do any proper repair with the bike up side down. It just dosent work. Tune ups are impossible and nothing else is any easier.

2- clamping the top tube on many bikes is a big no no. I would not recomend that at all. Even for aluminum. My CAAD is prety thin on the top tube and I think it could be kinked prety easily. Carbon top tube, no way.

Get a proper stand.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Another happy Feedback Sports user here, in my case I have a Pro Elite repair stand.

Not super cheap but in my view worth the dollars. I went with it given the reviews, its price compared to Park Tools repair stands and most importantly its Quick Release Clamp and have not been disappointed.

More photos at Google+

Regards
Andrew

·
Registered
834 Posts
I still have an old park home stand that I bought 20 years ago to work on my steel bike. When I bought a carbon bike last year I upgrade to the Tacx Spider Team Repair Stand. Great stand and breaks down for compact storage.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.