Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
21 - 40 of 61 Posts

·
Descender
1,940 Posts
After looking at the above, I now realize my wife exagerates my bike habit quite a bit. I need to show her these pics.

I have 2 usable bikes and a small corner in the basement with a stand and a trainer. A few parts in boxes, not much more.

I feel so ....empty

·
I ride in circles..
4,645 Posts
Backinthesaddle..
How big of a building is that? Because you just set the bar for what I want in the future. Having an awesome man cave like that is cool as hell.

I have my living room filled with bike stuff.. nothing to brag about right now. haha

·
corning my own beef
5,713 Posts
Muaythaibike said:
The show looks like you fix bikes for a living...

Now that's dog.. English mastiff? Looks just like mine.. boy or girl???
Porter is a 4yr old male, we rescued him about a year ago. He's on the small side for English Mastiff -- about 170lb

My shop is 16x22 and (for the time being) doubles as the dogs' daytime shelter.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Here's something on the other end of the spectrum:

My wife and I live in a 2br condo, and my "bike area" is about 1/4 of the dining room. That's just enough space for me to keep my bike along the wall and a shelf or two of frequently accessed tools and gear. To do any wrenching on my bike I usually have to put it on the stand out in the living room or outside.

It's not very convenient, but it's better than nothing. You can probably see why I'm a one-bike person. My wife isn't thrilled about the bike in the dining room setup, but she doesn't give me a hard time about it and is generally quite supportive of my cycling. But I do have to keep my gear-lust in check (which I think is healthy anyway). :)

Scott

·
Shop Wrench
44 Posts
I'm not the "Dave" you're looking for. :D

But, to chime in, some jobs require two - some older freewheel lockrings (but I cannot remember which ones!), and in some cases, individual cogs can get stuck on the splines of the freehub body. You can use one chainwhip to hold the cassette while using the other to pull the offending cog loose.

·
Premium Member
20,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
BentChainring said:
Dave.

Why the heck do you have two chain whips?

For different sized chains/cogs..Most of my fixies run a 1/8" chain/cogs

The original one(black chain) is for 3/32 chain...I modified another one to use with 1/8" chains...I could use the 1/8 for either but since I had another one I kept them both

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
ZoSoSwiM said:
Backinthesaddle..
How big of a building is that? Because you just set the bar for what I want in the future. Having an awesome man cave like that is cool as hell.

I have my living room filled with bike stuff.. nothing to brag about right now. haha
It's 12x20...wish it was bigger.
The contractor built and roofed it. I painted, insulated, drywalled it. 1/2 of the floor is carpet and the other half is linoleum.
The bench is tall so I don't have to stoop to work on stuff. It's covered in 12" square vinyl tiles.

All told, I may have $3500 in the whole thing. We're getting ready to move and I'm building a new 16x24 two-story with full heat/ac and plumbing.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I just finished construction on my new workshop just a few days ago. I was logging on here to get ideas for bike rack. I don't want to hang the MTB with hydraulic brakes.

I plan to have 3 seperate shops - wood, auto and bike. Right now it is conpletely empty.

·
hold my beer n watch this
1,756 Posts
Hickey you are my hero!
I didn't see it but I assume there is a beer frig in there somewhere?

·
Banned
3,060 Posts
Pftt. Workshops. HTFU already. When I want to work on a bike I set the stand up in the Living room, the spare bedroom, the porch, the driveway, the garage, the kitchen (yes, HER kitchen), and the utility side of the basement. I leave my bikes all those rooms as well. It's my house just as much as it is hers and I'm tidy enough I don't fook up the hardwood floors or the rugs. Would I like having a workshop/mancave like you guys? Maybe, but then she'd want admission.

21 - 40 of 61 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.