Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for a recomendation for a (not to expensive) workstand for my Soloist. I don't think that a clamp system will work do to the aero seatpost design and I'd rather not clamp to the frame of the bike. Any suggestions?

Rich

·
Old, slow, and fat.
3,897 Posts
onbelay said:
I'm looking for a recomendation for a (not to expensive) workstand for my Soloist. I don't think that a clamp system will work do to the aero seatpost design and I'd rather not clamp to the frame of the bike. Any suggestions?

Rich
PBS makes a stand that supports the bike by the BB. Got one... Works OK. In your case, I think you'll have to use a toe strap to hold the bike to the stand tho.

OR if you don't mind spending the $$, get one of the new breed of stands like the Euro pro team mechanics are using: Park et al.

My $.02

M

·
Registered
84 Posts
Score a cheap or a trashed seatpost...

Perhaps at your LBS...Most have a box of take-offs or damaged ones.

Insert same into seatpost, and clamp to it...

PH

·
Registered
10,160 Posts
not that tough..

I've had no problem clamping gently on the top tube of LOOK and Colnago carbon frames. Any of the many stands that use a simple screw-type clamp can apply a very light pressure.

http://www.excelsports.com/new.asp?...S-9+Workstand&vendorCode=PARK&major=6&minor=1

http://www.excelsports.com/new.asp?...d+BRS-70B&vendorCode=ULTIMATE&major=6&minor=1

I've got an older style Park stand that uses a single lever, spring loaded clamp. The clamp was designed to apply a heavy pressure to seatposts or small 1-1/8" top tubes. Now that TTs are larger and more fragile, I found a simple solution to make this clamp compatible with new frames. All I had to do was shorten the spring and then use one or two flat washers to fine tune the length to produce an adequate, but not excessive clamping force.

·
Fini les ecrase-"manets"!
9,416 Posts
onbelay said:

Rich
Park PRS-20 or PRS-21 or the Tacx Cycle Spider Team (if you can get one--some places will take your order, but I waited months for actual delivery before giving up and getting the PRS-20).

These hold the bike by either the front or rear dropouts, with the BB supported in a cradle. There's a strap to secure the BB in place, but I rarely bother with it.

I like mine alot, even though I mostly work on round-tube steel frames.

·
Cycling
288 Posts
most of the time when i do mechanic work at our shop, i just clamp the post up near the saddle and its defentiely tight enough. The seatposts are very strong so dont worry too much about cracking one in the stand. and if is just a quick fix that requires no hard torqing (i.e BB, crank bolts etc) then put one of the seatrails on the top of the clamp system and lightly clamp it.

·
Registered
482 Posts
I have one of these Park PRS-20

Works well for what you describe.

I also have been using what was called the consumer stand from Park.Now call the PCS-1. I think it is the same as what C-40 described. I have used this for over 10 years & it still works great. I bought the PRS-20 because I was afraid the clamping was a bit much for the new lighter tubes. I might have to try his trick of shortening the spring as I like the way I can spin the bike upside down. In fact after 10 years I find it hard to work on the bike right side up ;)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the support guys.

I'm conisdering the park prs-20 but am also wonsering if some of the screw/ clamp systems might open large enough to seat the seatpost (no pun intended). I likt the idea oh being able to work on the front wheel and to adjust the front breaks.
The seatpost and large bottom bracket make this bike a challenge to work on.

Richard

·
Steaming piles of opinion
10,503 Posts
onbelay said:
Thanks for the support guys.

I'm conisdering the park prs-20 but am also wonsering if some of the screw/ clamp systems might open large enough to seat the seatpost (no pun intended). I likt the idea oh being able to work on the front wheel and to adjust the front breaks.
The seatpost and large bottom bracket make this bike a challenge to work on.

Richard
You can with the PRS-20 - it also allows you to remove the rear wheel hook it up that way, leaving the front end free for work and adjustments. It's a great stand.

I wonder what they do (or recommend) at Cervelo? A dummy seatpost maybe, that has a round top-end?

Somebody in a position to care might could ask the experts:

http://www.cervelo.com/content.aspx?m=ContactUs&i=ContactUs#4

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Great suggestion danl1

and here's the response I got...

Answer:
Hello Richard,

As you can imagine, this is a question that many of our customers have. The best way to accommodate our tube shapes is to get a bike stand that clamps the bike by the front or rear dropouts. This makes it an excellent and sturdy set-up to build a bike from scratch and to fine tune it. There are various manufacturers that offer such work stands. A model that is used by Team CSC is the TACX Cycle Motion stand. Hope that helps.

Sincerely

Thorben
Cervélo Customer Support

Cervelo seems to agree that the best bet is a for or dropout type stand.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts