Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
He was over a minute faster than second place Millar?

Insane.

I love the quote from Millar - “The first lap I was going ‘God, this is going to hurt next time around’, and it did.”

·
Registered
124 Posts
I really dig Millar. The way he came back after his 'affair' is really great.
I can identificate with him as well, as I'm also a 'tall' rider.

Canc is just another league, I saw his ride live, and that monstrous gear he pushes is just...breathtaking.

Big up to Phinney as well. Some commenters over here say he might be the new...Merckx.

Can't wait for the road race.

·
This space for sale
783 Posts
Spartacus road a massive TT today. He looked like he had it won half way through the first lap!!

·
Banned
239 Posts
I always find it interesting how Cancellera can be so dominant in ITT's and in winning classics, yet nobody every questions how he does it beyond the stupid motorized bike stuff.

·
Registered
3,135 Posts
Perico said:
I always find it interesting how Cancellera can be so dominant in ITT's and in winning classics, yet nobody every questions how he does it beyond the stupid motorized bike stuff.
Nah its been questioned plenty. TT and classics go together well BTW most of his wins are solo attacks where he TT's to victory, even his wins where he won close in (MSR) are because he is able to accerate and hold a massive pace.

But most of us are here to try and enjoy the sport not question it constantly esp when we get to do that with actual evidence on a pretty reg basis. The whole he is doing really well so must be dirty is a sad argument.

·
Banned
239 Posts
32and3cross said:
Nah its been questioned plenty. TT and classics go together well BTW most of his wins are solo attacks where he TT's to victory, even his wins where he won close in (MSR) are because he is able to accerate and hold a massive pace.

But most of us are here to try and enjoy the sport not question it constantly esp when we get to do that with actual evidence on a pretty reg basis. The whole he is doing really well so must be dirty is a sad argument.
I have yet to see him questioned. Actually the two times I mentioned this possibility on other forums it was brushed aside without comment. I just find it hard to believe that we question so many people (even riders from years ago) but leave a guy who simply rides away from the best in the world at will alone.

I do enjoy cycling and think it is cleaner then most pro sports but looks bad because it is not a cash cow for the media, so they go after cycling and ignore the problems of other sports (see Puerto and La Liga) and because they have better testing.

·
LA CHEVRE
2,475 Posts
Fabian's TT domination is not that a surprise IMO. TT are about an individual's strengths, you take out the various tactics, peloton positions and other things that adds to the more surprising nature of road events. Fabian is just a strong bull... and there aren't that many riders who focus on TT in the first place.

That doesn't mean I'd be very surprised to learn he was doping... but right now, all I can say is that he's an impressive rider and congratulate him for his results...

·
Registered
755 Posts
Perico said:
If he had legs like tooth pics and weighed a 140lbs then people would question it more. Cancellara seems to be built perfectly for a flatish ride or TT. Now if wins a climbing stage in the TDF, question away.

·
Banned
239 Posts
So how is he simply riding away from the best classics riders in the world as if they are Cat 5 riders?

P.S.- You guys are proving my point by dismissing any thought that Fabian could be doing something shady.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Perico said:
So how is he simply riding away from the best classics riders in the world as if they are Cat 5 riders?

P.S.- You guys are proving my point by dismissing any thought that Fabian could be doing something shady.

Because the best riders in the world can't keep up with him. His threshold for pain appears to be quite high relative to the others, but he doesn't win every TT he enters. He has a tremendous training ability to peak for the classics (essentially a 2 week period), peak for the TDF (a 3 week period 3.5months later), and recover to peak for the worlds. He wasn't really hot for the TOC in May. The TT is his speciality, he's built for it, and when he's on, nobody can touch him. He does an excellent job of picking his races and succeeding in them. I can assure you they test him as much as anybody else on the pro tour.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Maybe Perico will be happier if this just gets moved to the doping forum (since that's what "he" seems to be going for).:idea:

·
Registered
8,104 Posts
EMB145 Driver said:
Because the best riders in the world can't keep up with him. His threshold for pain appears to be quite high relative to the others, but he doesn't win every TT he enters. He has a tremendous training ability to peak for the classics (essentially a 2 week period), peak for the TDF (a 3 week period 3.5months later), and recover to peak for the worlds. He wasn't really hot for the TOC in May. The TT is his speciality, he's built for it, and when he's on, nobody can touch him. He does an excellent job of picking his races and succeeding in them. I can assure you they test him as much as anybody else on the pro tour.
Isn't that the exact same argument people used with Armstrong? Higher threshold for pain, training for specific events, tremendous work ethic, most tested rider, etc....

Makes one laugh just a little when I see this type of explination of his TT dominance :thumbsup:

With that said...I love to watch him race, but I don't belive it's clean...not one bit!

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Wookiebiker said:
Isn't that the exact same argument people used with Armstrong? Higher threshold for pain, training for specific events, tremendous work ethic, most tested rider, etc....

Makes one laugh just a little when I see this type of explination of his TT dominance :thumbsup:

With that said...I love to watch him race, but I don't belive it's clean...not one bit!
I made no claim to him being clean or otherwise, I just said he's the best at what he does. 4 World TT Championships has got to stand for something, amongst his other accomplishments. What about Millar? Are we sure he's clean now, he beat everybody but Spartacus? Basso won the Giro, did he not learn his lesson? With the news today, anybody that wins must be cheating. If you're going to have a career in pro-cycling, earning a living, you better sit up at the finish line so as not to cast doubt on your efforts.

Threshold for pain--anybody that can ride Flanders and Roubaix the way he did, doping or not, is tougher than most in the peloton.

Training for a specific event--Surely Wookie with your racing background you know exactly what this is about.

Work ethic--That one's yours, but I'm sure it works into training and peaking.

Dope tested--Apparently, the testing is working. Spartacus may or may not be doping, but his beating the he!! out of everyone else doesn't make him dirty or clean.

If you have another explanation for his TT dominance, I'd like to hear it.

·
Registered
8,104 Posts
EMB145 Driver said:
If you have another explanation for his TT dominance, I'd like to hear it.
I just said that your explination was the same people have used for Armstrong for years....that's all :D

As for other cyclists...I have stated on numerous occasions that I don't think any of them are clean, even most domestic pro's for that matter.

·
Where's that GPS?
3,117 Posts
Not buying the whole dopeing thing until there is evidence (the motor thing was a joke - and widly ageed upon as such - but believe what you want).
Until that, I have to agree with others, Sparticus is a great TTer - the Michael Jordan of TTing with a huge motor (in his legs, not his bike!) and I expect him to crush all others doing that, just as I expect Cav to win each sprint he is in.
But there will always be an element that will question this, and frankly, can we really blame them?

·
Registered
19,389 Posts
now Wookie..

Wookiebiker said:

your club isn't exactly known for being slouches in TT events now, is it? I mean your Cat. 3 squad beat several Cat. 1 teams in the 2009 TTT.

How should we explain that dominance? :)

·
Registered
12,085 Posts
As gh1 noted, given his build, his results are not surprising. As swish just noted, not only does he have the power, he handles his TT bike extremely well.

Physiologically, FC is good but not anything I'd consider out of the ordinary given his training and build. If you look at his classics campaign, he was using the same physiological adaptations to win the classics as he does in a TT. Don't forget that he was assisted by the field not trying to chase him down. I have no doubt the 7 or 8 man break when Boonen was caught off guard could have caught FC if they all worked hard, but they chose not to in an effort to only fight for the podium.

I don't really suspect any foul play with FC, unless he starts dominating climbing races. :D

1 - 20 of 39 Posts