Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Lexicon Devil
961 Posts
Damn, that thing is huge. Probably the next place that thing will be seen is on some 280 pound dude, riding a Trek hybrid on a MUT at 12 MPH.

Sorry to generalize, but you know it's true.

·
Devoid of all flim-flam
7,284 Posts
THOU SHALT NOTdon World Champion Stripes unless thou hast truly been anointed World Champion! If ye TRESPASS this COMMANDMENT, SCORN shall truly be heaped upon ye!

So sayeth the Mapei.

·
Not Banned
49,013 Posts
agree with Mapei

that kit needs to be earned.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Can we all also agree that the WC jersey should never ever be worn with white shorts, even if you're Belgian or very tan and Italian? Having to follow PVP in the white shorts up a rainy muddy berg in Flanders must have made strong men cry.

PS: I know it was the series leader's jersey PVP was wearing, not the WC jersey. Just trying to make a point about godawful white shorts.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Mapei Roida said:
THOU SHALT NOTdon World Champion Stripes unless thou hast truly been anointed World Champion! If ye TRESPASS this COMMANDMENT, SCORN shall truly be heaped upon ye!

So sayeth the Mapei.
So true! The same goes for Yellow TdF Jerseys, Golden Vuelta Jerseys and Pink Giro Jerseys... Amen!

·
Cannot bench own weight
4,267 Posts
While I would never wear a WC, GT related jersey, I don't see a problem with it. If it has been properly licensed and sold, then it is apparent that the organizers of such things want people to wear them.

Probably not much difference than wearing the number 23 Chicago Bulls jersey and playing a pick up game of basketball.

·
duh...
9,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Einstruzende said:
While I would never wear a WC, GT related jersey, I don't see a problem with it. If it has been properly licensed and sold, then it is apparent that the organizers of such things want people to wear them.

Probably not much difference than wearing the number 23 Chicago Bulls jersey and playing a pick up game of basketball.

This would be more like wearing a Chicago Balls jersey... or one of those cheesey Molteni-colored Formaggio jerseys. Howzitbroke got it right. BTW, if you want, somebody is selling bogus non-Descente 7-Eleven jerseys on Ebay.

·
Registered
530 Posts
jplatzner said:
Yeah, and while a polka dot jersey would be cool, very few should wear one.
Once saw a significantly overweight person doing just this while riding slowly down the MUT. Briefly offended, but then I figured this person may just have a twisted sense of humor and hey, you gotta dream.

·
Registered
654 Posts
How About Years Later?

How about a TdF green jersey with the Telekom logo on it from when Zabel last won the green jersey? I though that was cool.

·
Registered
949 Posts
my personal opinion...
Unless the rider has earned the jersey on their back, they shouldn't be wearing it.
That goes for World Champ, TDF Jaune, The Giro Rosa, the Vuelta Gold... And I'd even go so far as to say any jersey currently being worn by the pro teams... If the team is retired and their team kit is still available then that's cool... (knock yourself out)

So 7-11 is cool. Festina would be cool (aside from the doping, their team kit looked nice). US Postal is fine... But if any of these teams were still racing, I think you should have to earn a spot on the team in order to justify wearing their jerseys while riding... You wanna wear a Team jersey on the roadside to support the racers, COOL... But not while riding.

Just my personal prefs.
So with that said, who got last years Phonak team kit????

·
Registered
3,135 Posts
Einstruzende said:

I think wearing a WC jersey (or other winers/leaders jeresy) is more like wearing a replica Superbowl Ring rather ther than just a standard uniform.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Sprocket - Matt said:
my personal opinion...
Unless the rider has earned the jersey on their back, they shouldn't be wearing it.
That goes for World Champ, TDF Jaune, The Giro Rosa, the Vuelta Gold... And I'd even go so far as to say any jersey currently being worn by the pro teams... If the team is retired and their team kit is still available then that's cool... (knock yourself out)

So 7-11 is cool. Festina would be cool (aside from the doping, their team kit looked nice). US Postal is fine... But if any of these teams were still racing, I think you should have to earn a spot on the team in order to justify wearing their jerseys while riding... You wanna wear a Team jersey on the roadside to support the racers, COOL... But not while riding.

Just my personal prefs.
So with that said, who got last years Phonak team kit????
Why is cycling the only sport where wearing a team / WC / GT taboo? Every other pro team encourages you (ie. sell it to the fans) to wear anytime. Last time I checked, cycling teams also sell their team kits to the public. Even the race organizers sell their leader's jerseys.

Not everything can be earned...but most everything can be bought. Support your teams / events anyway you can. If dreaming and wearing what the pros wear is a bad thing, then forget being a fan and just ride your bike.

·
Registered
196 Posts
A4B45200 said:
Why is cycling the only sport where wearing a team / WC / GT taboo? Every other pro team encourages you (ie. sell it to the fans) to wear anytime. Last time I checked, cycling teams also sell their team kits to the public. Even the race organizers sell their leader's jerseys.

Not everything can be earned...but most everything can be bought. Support your teams / events anyway you can. If dreaming and wearing what the pros wear is a bad thing, then forget being a fan and just ride your bike.
The only legitimate concern is if you get into a Pro/Am race where there may actually be a member of that team in the race. I think Milram did Superweek last year so I wouldn't wear their stuff in a Pro/1/2 race but if I had nothing else to wear, I would rock a pair of CSC shorts in a Cat 3 race. It's not like Vande Velde is going to ask me to help chase.

Its not worth it to care what other people are wearing. Besides, there aren't enough cycling fans to make dividing lines between the cool kids who won't wear team clothes and the guys who ride 200 miles wear a Disco kit.

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
Man, the jersey police is everywhere. Relax people. It is stuff like this that giver roadies a bad reputation. The obsession about "the look" is very unbecoming. :D

·
Registered
6,387 Posts
Against the rules anyway...

powerdan5 said:
The only legitimate concern is if you get into a Pro/Am race where there may actually be a member of that team in the race. I think Milram did Superweek last year so I wouldn't wear their stuff in a Pro/1/2 race but if I had nothing else to wear, I would rock a pair of CSC shorts in a Cat 3 race. It's not like Vande Velde is going to ask me to help chase.

Its not worth it to care what other people are wearing. Besides, there aren't enough cycling fans to make dividing lines between the cool kids who won't wear team clothes and the guys who ride 200 miles wear a Disco kit.
You can't wear a pro team jersey in any race, unless you're e member of the team. Same goes for pro team shorts. Thems the rules...

·
Not Banned
49,013 Posts
I want the anti climbers jersey

Black Jersey with Green Squares

1 - 20 of 39 Posts