Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
waterproof*
41,608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lay your money and reputations down in here:

My pick and the first ever 4 time champ: Oscar Freire.

from cyclingnews:

Oscar Freire (Spain)

Current form: As ever, Freire’s form is a complete unknown and, as ever, this fact is completely irrelevant. The Spaniard has shown time and again that he is simply not governed by the normal rules of getting in a base of racing miles and building form. After a strong spring, where he took victory in Milan-San Remo and two stages in the Tour of the Basque Country, Freire has gone to ground. After a quiet Tour, he underwent surgery on his sinuses and came back to ride a nondescript Vuelta. But then, in 1999 and 2001, he struggled with injury all season before delivering world title-winning rides. Freire lining up in Spanish colours with a rainbow jersey on the line is cycling’s equivalent of Clark Kent nipping off to make a quick phone call.

·
Shrewdest Unit Mover
1,483 Posts
albert owen said:
Mark "Legs Like Steel" Cavendish. Vuelta tuned him up just right, now he is in Milan - San Remo 2009 form.
Either Cav is playing the mental game according to a quote from Velonews or he really doesn't have it.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Have you guys seen the video of McEwen riding the course? There are a couple of hard hills, which I think will negate the chances of pure sprinters like Cavendish and Farrar. I have to say, though, that Mac's 22% is more like 10% around here. He must have the "sprinter's caibration" on his computer. :)

It looks like a course that favors the type of fast man who can make a jump on the climbs then stay away. Freire's a good bet. Gilbert as well. It may be possible for Evans to reapeat!

JSR

·
waterproof*
41,608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
JSR said:
Have you guys seen the video of McEwen riding the course? There are a couple of hard hills, which I think will negate the chances of pure sprinters like Cavendish and Farrar. I have to say, though, that Mac's 22% is more like 10% around here. He must have the "sprinter's caibration" on his computer. :)

It looks like a course that favors the type of fast man who can make a jump on the climbs then stay away. Freire's a good bet. Gilbert as well. It may be possible for Evans to reapeat!

JSR
one name per prediction, please.

·
Registered
7,998 Posts
I'm going with Thor. He's a sprinter that climbs fairly well, at least better than most sprinters.

My thought is he will be able to hang onto a pack in the climbs as they get whittled down during the circuit portion of the race and he's a great small pack sprinter...where he's not as good in a large field sprint.

·
Administrator
12,955 Posts
Gilbert.

·
Resident Dutchbag
11,864 Posts
Another vote for Gilbert.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Another one for Gilbert. He's the best in a sprint out of the guys that can take the really hard hills and if there's a smaller move I'd also bet he's in that.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Thor.

No, wait... make that Cancellara.

Or Thor.

Unless Gilbert or Freire wins it. Then I'll come back and edit this to say I was rooting for then the whole time.

But definitely not Cav, Farrar, or any of the pure sprinters. Somebody more like Thor. Or Cancellara, or........

1 - 20 of 58 Posts