Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Festina Lente'
11,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Long Story Short...
-Former roommate/still good friend got sick, went on disability for a couple months.
-Returned to work to find the company in shambles
-Company shuts down his 5th day back
-Roommate selling mostly all his stuff, planning for around the world trip, up to a year long.

I would like to get him a going away present... for you world travelers, what would be a good going away present for the guy?

·
eminence grease
18,538 Posts
How much do you want to spend?

Over the course of my now 5 long years of constant international travel the things I have used endlessly are:

-Timbuktu messenger bag
-Decent power plug converter kit
-lithium battery from batterygeek.net
-P&S camera
-Small Sennheiser noise cancelling earphones
-iPods/Pads/Touchs
-Tiniest and lightest netbook you can find (in my case a Vaio)
-eReader

Of all the money I've thrown at making my travel as easy and convenient as possible, these are the things that I have come to rely on for every trip.

·
Big is relative
11,887 Posts
I second the power plug converter kit. Most electronics (shaver, laptop, etc) will take 110-220VAC and 50-60Hz so mostly you just need the adapter plug to plug it in. I keep a universal plug adapter (around $25-30) in my laptop bag in the event I have a flight cancellation or miss a connecting flight and get stuck someplace unplanned. Unless that place is Japan, you're screwed without an adapter plug.

·
Registered
658 Posts
A nice flask, always gotta have booze on hand. Not only for himself but if he is off the beaten path it is a universal "ice breaker" in case he runs into some aboriginals.

·
Devoid of all flim-flam
7,269 Posts
A neck wallet.

·
I drank what?
3,229 Posts
If he has most of the stuff terry suggested, give him cash.

·
Eddy 53:11
3,164 Posts
He's my off the top of my head list:
A nice battery powered travel alarm from Brookstone.
A POS wallet he can use as a fake wallet in case he is jacked on the streets.
A nice folding travel sized umbrella from Brookstone.
A backpack for day trips.
A lock for that backpack zipper for when pickpockets strike.
Nice walking socks (no cotton) wool/coolmax.
A nice pocket knife.
Headsweats hat. Cool, easy to wash/dry in the hotel.
Dog tags or Road ID in case he gets seperated or sick. Make sure it says "USA" on his
address line and have an inspirational message put on it.

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
A nice dinner or night on the town (concert, ball game, whatever) with friends is probably what I'd appreciate most.
For material things to be honest all I'd have use for is cold hard cash.
Traveling things sound like a good idea but for an around the world trip less is more and most people are quite particular about luggage (or already own it) and chances of you getting it right are left to luck. I've recieved a few gifts for travel and honestly it usually ends up I feel I have to bring them to be polite but I really have no use for the well intentioned gift or if I did I would have bought it myself long before.

·
I want a Road Bike :)
4,111 Posts
mmmmm condoms?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts