Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have any knowledge of what to expect for live internet coverage?

Will we be able to get a pirated Sporza feed?

Will we be stuck with the same coverage we had for US Nats with 6 cameras and a feed that kept dropping out?

If Sporza does broadcast it live in Belgium, won't it be about 8 or 9 pm there?

I'm really hoping for a good live feed.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Anyone have any knowledge of what to expect for live internet coverage?

Will we be able to get a pirated Sporza feed?

Will we be stuck with the same coverage we had for US Nats with 6 cameras and a feed that kept dropping out?

If Sporza does broadcast it live in Belgium, won't it be about 8 or 9 pm there?

I'm really hoping for a good live feed.
not sure about an official US stream.

sporza usually broadcasts live, so it should be normal time in the US. 2-3pm PST or where ever you are.

it's gonna be a great day for sports with the super bowl kicking off shortly after.

·
Registered
960 Posts
I thought there had to be actual TV broadcast for the UCI to allow a World Champ event to take place in a country? Really a shame that NBC Sports didn't pick this up for the day. I guess having 40 min to an hour with no commercials just doesn't work for them.

Oh well, I'll be at the actual race :) Hopefully sober enough to remember what happens.

·
Registered
331 Posts
I will hope beyond hope that I don't have to listen to the American announcer who tries to make it into a monster truck/nascar event. Do our fellow country men really need things brought in that format? I guess we need the creation of excitement. I've learned about 15 words from Sporza, but let there be Sporza coverage please.

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
The coverage on Sporza...and every other channel...will be the same that is on the UCI web channel ( UCI owns the rights)
USACycling has contracted a good sized crew for the camera work / upload. ( part of the contract for hosting Worldz)
This is the same crew that does work for Universal, NBC and other networks.
As far as a tv broadcast in the US.....there is no market for it.

·
Registered
358 Posts
The coverage on Sporza...and every other channel...will be the same that is on the UCI web channel ( UCI owns the rights)
USACycling has contracted a good sized crew for the camera work / upload. ( part of the contract for hosting Worldz)
This is the same crew that does work for Universal, NBC and other networks.
is it the same crew that did the Olympic XC race?? i thought that coverage was awesome.

·
Registered
960 Posts
Ugh... I'm sure it will terrible then. Cycling Dirt did the coverage for our UCI race and did one of the worse jobs I've ever witnessed this past year. No Colt = garbage. Bad camera placements, wouldn't take input from the organizers, just awful.

Hopefully whomever was picked will do better than the Nationals Coverage as well. I think for a while they just had the cameras switching at random. We all saw them cut to a camera with no one riding through. Brilliant.

You really need a group with experience in covering that type of action and enough camera to keep up with the pace.

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
For reference....if you watch the races in Belgium....it is one company that is contracted to do those races.
They are very good at it.
If you watch the coverage of a World Cup in Spain or Switzerland....you will notice the coverage is not very good. You will also notice no spectators.....

·
Registered
510 Posts
This is an instance where I think USAC or some other US cycling sponsor should have stepped up. There might not be much market, but it is a huge opportunity to introduce the sport to thousands of people.
Frankly I find it really odd that the UCI isn't more involved (paying for it). Most other minor-ish sports the World governing body controls a lot of the media. This allows for continuity from event to event. It would definitely be in the UCI's best interest to continue to grow cyclocross in the US (especially considering the recent Lance shenanigans), and they should have ponied up some dough.

·
Registered
960 Posts
I think USAC is about tapped out regarding Worlds. They pretty much took the whole event over and are paying for it out of pocket. That includes the TV coverage costs. There is a good article on it right now on CX Mag. After Exergy imploded it was pretty much man up or it would go back to Belgium.

As an aside, I was really upset to see Exergy on the Nats banners... even if they did still manage to give USAC money for that event. I bet the stuff was already printed up and they just went with it.

·
Registered
510 Posts
True, USAC is putting a lot into this race, but they have some pretty big sponsors, that they could have tapped. (then again they are really busy going after OBRA :))

I still think the Super Bowl date has a lot to do with it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.