Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1. Who's going to win?
2. What place for the first non-Belgian?
3. How will Page do?

1. Nys
2. 2nd
3. 9th

·
Registered
15 Posts
1. Who's going to win?
3. How will Page do?

1. Nys
2.Fourth
3. 15th

How about Tonkin? My prediction: 18th

·
Registered
459 Posts
oh hell, I feel like gambling.
1. de Knegt (riding a smart race and waiting for the Belgians to attack each other)
2. first
3. 8th.

4. Where does Lynn Bessette finish? 3rd.

I also wouldn't be surprised if Groenendaal took the win. He's got a great teammate in de Knegt, a trade teammate with Nys, and home field advantage which will be huge. I expect he'll be in the mix. I may be going out on a limb, but it strikes me that Nys hasn't been racing smart, letting gaps go up the road and then chasing them down late. It's going to backfire one of these days. Wellens looks strong, but I don't think his head is fully in the game after his kunk-fu race. And watch out for Vervecken, he's peaking perfectly.

All that aside, Nys is still the odds-on favorite.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll go with Bessette in 3rd too. Dauphny Damn-shes-hot and Hanka will be 1-2.

I see Vervecken, Dlask, and de Knegt as Nys' main competition. Franzoi and Wellens are the ones I don't know about.

From the pics posted last week it looks more narrow than the "average" European course, doesn't it? A good start will be even more critical than normal.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Here's how I want it to go

Vervecken
de Knegt
Gadret

Here's how I think it will go

Nys
Vervecken
Fanzoi

Not a Nys hater at all, just want to see something different.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Nys, Nys, and Nys

Nys is going to completely dominate this race, and he'll be awarded gold, silver and bronze medals. I think the only reason he's been letting guys go up the road lately is because he's been getting bored dropping everyone, and he needs a challenge. If you saw the way he closed the gap this past weekend (before he flatted), you'd agree -- it'll be all Nys, all the time.

cycloscott said:
oh hell, I feel like gambling.
1. de Knegt (riding a smart race and waiting for the Belgians to attack each other)
2. first
3. 8th.

4. Where does Lynn Bessette finish? 3rd.

I also wouldn't be surprised if Groenendaal took the win. He's got a great teammate in de Knegt, a trade teammate with Nys, and home field advantage which will be huge. I expect he'll be in the mix. I may be going out on a limb, but it strikes me that Nys hasn't been racing smart, letting gaps go up the road and then chasing them down late. It's going to backfire one of these days. Wellens looks strong, but I don't think his head is fully in the game after his kunk-fu race. And watch out for Vervecken, he's peaking perfectly.

All that aside, Nys is still the odds-on favorite.

·
Registered
459 Posts
jmeerse said:
Nys is going to completely dominate this race, and he'll be awarded gold, silver and bronze medals.
Oh but where's the fun in that? He schooled guys all season last year, and he's doing the same now. Impressive for sure, but predictability can be kind of boring (Tour de France 01, 02, 04, 05). Yeah, he'll probably win. But I'd love to see de Knegt take it away from the Belgians. I still think there's the possibility that he's tried too hard to dominate all season long and is due for a poor race. And we all know the Belgians race like Italy at Road Worlds (pre-Mario's win).

Besides, Nys has already shown that he won't chase down a trade teammate at Worlds. If de Knegt can get a gap with Groenendaal, it's game on. If I were de Knegt, I'd do nothing but sit on and follow Groenendaal and Nys. One of the Belgians is bound to attack Nys, and will probably even chase him down if Sven is away.

·
Registered
5,627 Posts
1. Nys
2. Third - de Negt, Franzoni, or Mourey (always seems to have a good worlds, but just not making the podium (can't remember last year)
3. 15-20 - Don't get me wrong, I like Page a lot, and he has had some great races this season, but something just always seems to go slightly wrong for him at worlds to keep him from having the best race he can, kind of like Nys a few years ago.

·
Registered
11,561 Posts
cycloscott said:
but it strikes me that Nys hasn't been racing smart, letting gaps go up the road and then chasing them down late. It's going to backfire one of these days.
It's already backfired on him a couple of times this year but maybe riding most of the race at 80% and only putting in a few decisive attacks has allowed him to stay fresh most of the year, whereas everyone else has to race at 100% to even stay with him. Regardless, he will not let anyone ride away at worlds. He's not minutes better than everyone else now like he was in Nov./Dec. but he is still 10s of seconds better.

The only possibility anyone else has is if Nijs shows up sick or has a series of mishaps. Doubly so if de Knegt and Groenendaal haven't recovered from last weekends illness.

·
Registered
5,627 Posts
Dwayne Barry said:
It's already backfired on him a couple of times this year but maybe riding most of the race at 80% and only putting in a few decisive attacks has allowed him to stay fresh most of the year, whereas everyone else has to race at 100% to even stay with him. Regardless, he will not let anyone ride away at worlds. He's not minutes better than everyone else now like he was in Nov./Dec. but he is still 10s of seconds better.

The only possibility anyone else has is if Nijs shows up sick or has a series of mishaps. Doubly so if de Knegt and Groenendaal haven't recovered from last weekends illness.
what happened to de Knegt and Groenendaal?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Throw this in the mix : it's cold right here. Zeddam is in the coldest region of the country, barely hits 0ºC during the day, -7 or so at night. Some minor snow on the course now. Frosen mud tracks is what I'm guessing for the whole length of it.
Nijs had won in the cold before. Vervecken is in shape, and also won in Tabor when it was cold and slippery.
I'm no weather expert, but it might end up a slippery dry hardpack race. The times I did the Nationals in Zeddam, is was sickening slow grass mud and loose sand. Intriguingly, I caught back up with Groenendaal and De Knegt after they had lapped me, on the loose sand slight downhill towards the fishish straight.

Anyway : A fast course does seem to favor De Knegt somewhat, Groenendaal much less. At home turf, Gerben may be pretty dangerous if the Belgians don't find a common goal.

·
Registered
11,561 Posts
Cloxxki said:
Throw this in the mix : it's cold right here. Zeddam is in the coldest region of the country, barely hits 0ºC during the day, -7 or so at night. Some minor snow on the course now. Frosen mud tracks is what I'm guessing for the whole length of it.
QUOTE]

There's a picture on cyclocrossonline.be that agrees with your description.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I saw an announcement on tv for a feature I later missed. A team from Zimbabwe is supposed to be here. I saw 2 of 3 crash in the same shot over the frosen soil. Not sure they see much of that on their local trails... :)

·
Roadies Rejoice
975 Posts
euro-trash said:
1. Who's going to win?
3. How will Page do?

1. Nys
2. 2nd
3. 9th
Nys is like Valentino Rossi, when if matters, they win. Go into the first corner in 10th? Doesn't matter, they both would still the favorites to pull it out.

1. Nys
2. 3rd
3. 8th, maybe his bad luck at World's will end this year.

·
Registered
5,627 Posts
Cloxxki said:
I saw an announcement on tv for a feature I later missed. A team from Zimbabwe is supposed to be here. I saw 2 of 3 crash in the same shot over the frosen soil. Not sure they see much of that on their local trails... :)
Great to hear about that, I knew that John Saeys had sponsored some riders to come over to Europe for the winter. I am still waiting to hear from the Zimbabwean ambassador about picking up citizenship to race for them next year. :D

·
Registered
270 Posts
not really

SteveCnj said:
Nys is like Valentino Rossi, when if matters, they win. Go into the first corner in 10th? Doesn't matter, they both would still the favorites to pull it out.

1. Nys
2. 3rd
3. 8th, maybe his bad luck at World's will end this year.

sven is awesome and i would love to see him win it, but he has only won the elite worlds once and until last year he had more of a reputation of blowing the big race then one of winning them....

·
Registered
270 Posts
choke

p lo said:
sven is awesome and i would love to see him win it, but he has only won the elite worlds once and until last year he had more of a reputation of blowing the big race then one of winning them....
sad to say i was right on this one....

1 - 20 of 21 Posts