Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been getting hotfoot under the balls of my feet on the outside recently. I had this problem when I did a great deal of mileage in May and when I slowed down, it got better. Now at even the lower mileage, I am still having pain.

Is it possible that worn cleats are allowing my feet to roll? My cleats have at least a couple of thousand miles on them?

·
Registered
3,863 Posts
Possibly...I just switched to Look black cleats and my foot pain is gone..A couple thousand miles is a lot for cleats. I swap mine out every two months or so. Have you tried moving your cleats back (toward the front of your shoe?). I also wear very thin socks.

I also found the the moving the cleat back helps hot spots, but it's only a hot weather problem for me.

·
Banned
72 Posts
This is EXACTLY what happened to me. Speedplay pedals, the cleats wore and allowed my left foot to 'roll'...thus putting pressure right under the ball of the foot...pain from the ball to the large toe.
On the bike stand, I could see the rolling of the pedal by just engaging the shoe and moving it by hand...Try it!
And, for the $40, it was a relatively cheap fix... I needed cleats!

·
Buttons are not toys
15 Posts
Had this exact same problem everytime I went over 2 hours. I've tried all sorts of shoes and peddles. A few months ago, I read in Bicycling (can't remember who said it) that if you get hots spots on your feet, try moving your cleat back so the ball of your foot is ahead of the spindle slightly. The idea was to take some the strain off the lowe legs tendons and calve muscles. I did it and it worked perfect. Rode a century for the first time without foot pain. This happened right after my wife asked if i ever learned anything new in "all those bike magazines".

·
Registered
179 Posts
I'm using black delta look cleats for a years and had no problem with my foot...
You can use the red one too, but it's more flexible than the black one...

I'm cycling in about 4 to 5 hours in one session, through a rolling route, climbing, flat, descending...but no problem with my foot...
May be you can change your cleat and your shoes...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.