Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Or, that your brother is going to make a pass at you even though you shared a bedroom until he went to college without incident?

When it comes to LGBT issues, I will admit that I am much more liberal than most non-LGBT people are. I can understand the reservations/objections that many people have with respect to the LGBT political agenda. However, I am really pissed off right now about people who have anti-gay biases. This is a rant that probably will end up in PO, but it really is about interpersonal relations, rather than politics.

Our firm had been in discussions with another lawyer with respect to his joining the firm. His professional background and practice fit well with our firm and it looked like a good match. Well, we just heard from our headhunter. There is a problem. You see, the candidate has discovered that one of our partners is an "open homosexual." Well, yeah, anyone with Google could find that out in about three seconds -- my law partner and his domestic partner have been politically active in LGBT issues for years and have two children. If you put his name into Google, you will find articles such as a feature piece on him in the Washington Post about gay families or his having been head of a non-profit that provides services to the gay community. All of our firm's clients know or should know about my partner's sexual preference and in 12 years of practice together not one client, including some pretty conservative businesses and institutions has ever had a problem with it to our knowledge. Now this job candidate, who should be happy to find a place at a firm such as ours in today's economy, just told the headhunter that although he does not have a problem with the situation, his wife "would be uncomfortable if he were working with a gay man." WTF. Does she think that homosexuality is contageous? I have known my law partner since we were college interns on Capitol Hill in the late 1970s. He is one of the most decent people I know and it really pisses me off that some woman that never has met him is dissing him just because he goes home at night to another man than a woman.

This incident probably would make me mad in any event. But, my mother told me something the other night that is fueling this rant. My mother is close friends with a cousin of hers who has two sons and one daughter (i.e., my second cousins); the sons are around my age. Although I have not kept in touch with my second cousins over the years, I still had warm feelings for them based on time that we spent together during our childhood. Not anymore (with one exception). One of the sons is gay; he has lived with a partner for about 20 years and is a highly respected professional. The guy always has been a responsible citizen and dutiful son. The daughter had a child out of wedlock in her teens and has caused all kinds of grief for her parents. The other son has had several marriages, extramarital affairs and spent some time in drug rehab. Well, I come to find out that the gay son is not invited to family events where his two siblings are present because they are opposed to his being gay. Now, I think that the guy is lucky that he does not have to spend time with his brother and sister. But, it really pains me to think that someone is excluded from his family for being gay when the people excluding him hardly have been paragons of virtue.

Get over it people. Just because someone is gay does not mean that they are contagious or should be treated like a pariah.

BTW: If you are a straight guy, don't worry, most gay guys are not interested in you.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
When I was at university I encountered the "homosexuality contagion" myth. I'm more than a little surprised to see that it still exists.

Maybe your job candidate's wife should go get vaccinated.

·
jaded bitter joy crusher
19,723 Posts
You're better off without him. Lots of good fish in the sea, especially these days.

// Edit: I realized this could be misinterpreted: I'm talking about the candidate, not the partner.

·
Jerkhard Sirdribbledick
27,036 Posts
Well, the good news is this candidate's ignorance, hate and fear have 1) kept him unemployed, at least for the time being, and 2) kept him out of your firm.

The joke's on him. What an ass.

·
waterproof*
41,611 Posts
upon further consideration... mebbe the lawyer's wife knows something about him that we don't, hmmmm?

·
Clear Lake, TX
3,269 Posts
Was his name, Denny Crane?

Most gay peep's don't bother with straight peep's. Then again, maybe I'm too ugly to be attractive to 'em!

·
eminence grease
18,538 Posts
Before you get too pissed at his faceless/nameless wife, you might want to consider that this is his chickensh!t way of ducking out without absorbing any personal responsibilty. I'm betting he's calling an audible because he knows if he owned up for disliking gay people he would have an even harder time finding work. What amazes me though is that he would use that as a decline, far easier to say he didn't like the chemistry or direction of the firm.

Beyond that bit of interpretation, people are screwed up. Not a news flash but certainly something worth getting worked up over from time to time. Human bias knows no bounds.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Fredke said:
You're better off without him. Lots of good fish in the sea, especially these days.

This. There are a lot of scumbags out there. You're lucky you found out before the candidate was hired.

·
Always changing.....
4,523 Posts
Personally, I find it more odd that people still behave that way today. I really don't get it. And to exclude family is so wrong.

·
Jerkhard Sirdribbledick
27,036 Posts
terry b said:
What amazes me though is that he would use that as a decline, far easier to say he didn't like the chemistry or direction of the firm.
Maybe he just figures that most people share his views, that he'd get a "Yeah, we were afraid of that" response from the firm.

·
Captain Obvious
11,876 Posts
terry b said:
What amazes me though is that he would use that as a decline, far easier to say he didn't like the chemistry or direction of the firm.
+1. if he went to a large firm, he'd probably end up working with multiple gay people and never know.

·
Spicy Dumpling
9,721 Posts
I'll get pushed over to PO with this thread but I just don't get any of the ignorance on this subject. Many of the people most worried about the 'gay agenda' are so screwed up in their own relationships they really don't have a valid point of reference.

But I have little tolerance for the irish;-)

·
Fat'r + Slow'r than TMB
10,083 Posts
Since I just buried my beautiful niece 2 days ago because of what ignorance and intolerance can do to a teenager in an already confusing time in her life, I have to say your firm is much better off without the idiot and his wife. That is all I can even manage to say right now.

·
Banned
7,071 Posts
My ex wife is gay. She grew up in a family with a crazy, abusive alcoholic holy-roller dad.

After she came out, her dad pretty much wrote her off. She is a successful business person who ran her own company for years, does charity work, and has 2 daughters with her partner of many years and never asked her parents for a dime, but she's gay, so she doesn't count.

Her older POS brother on the other hand, drunken multiple divorce having, drug problem, frequent arrest getting sponge who "borrows" money whenever he can, he's alllllllll right.

Yay.

People are idiots.

·
Captain Obvious
11,876 Posts
real stonie said:
Yeah, but what kind of seat does he have?
flat butt?

·
Captain Obvious
11,876 Posts
VaughnA said:
But I have little tolerance for the irish;-)
hey, i resemble that remark. although i feel the same way:thumbsup:

·
Windrider (Stubborn)
22,021 Posts
When I did the Alaska AIDs ride several years ago, I was shocked at how many people (hesitantly & not so hesitantly) wondered how I could represent a cause where people might think I was Gay. I was WTF?

What I realized was that for people that have had no personal interaction with the LGBT community through family or friends, everything they know is hearsay and myth. The only cure for ignorance is knowledge.

I think terryb hit the nail on the head...what a crazy way to back away from a job.

Len

1 - 20 of 78 Posts