Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My least favorite things about cycling are:
1. Riding in the wind (which I am about do)
2. Descending in the rain.

Any tips on making these better, besides the obvious

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,980 Posts
I'm a power rider, and I excel in the wind. When we turn into the wind, I try not to "panic." I ride in the drops, concentrate on keeping my knees & elbows in, & my head low. Depending on the wind speed, I'll downshift a gear or two, and maintain my spin rate.

I can't look into anybody elses head to see what's in there, but for me, the noise of the wind bothers me. I try to sing a song in my head to block out the wind. Johnny B. Goode is one of my favorites. Something by ZZ Top or Lynard Skynard is good, too. I also think thoughts like; if this is hard for me, it must be killing them. Sometimes I'll visualize the wind parting before me.

If you're in a group, (or not), riding close to the edge of the road will usually give you a bit more shelter. If I'm time trialing or in a competitive paceline, I'll use a line of trees or a house that blocks the wind as an opportunity to pick-up the pace. Same thing with a car passing in the direction I'm traveling.

When I'm alone, or in no hurry, I just try to relax, spin, tell myself, "This is all right, I'll get there, I'm in no hurry." I also try REAL hard not to look at the computer.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Good tips, I'll try those on todays windy ride. A good strong wind can be really discouraging for me so I just try to stay positive. One glance at the computer and sometimes I feel like throwing the bike in the weeds and walking home. Nothing like going anaerobic at 13 mph!

-Danimal

·
gastarbeiter
1,513 Posts
well... don't move to the netherlands or belgium. you'll be cursed with your first hate, but will never have to deal with the 2nd (unless you live in limburgh or th ardennes) :)

West End Rail said:

·
Resident Dutchbag
11,864 Posts
botto said:
well... don't move to the netherlands or belgium. you'll be cursed with your first hate, but will never have to deal with the 2nd (unless you live in limburgh or th ardennes) :)
Tell me...I've often vowed to emigrate. :(

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
#1 is wind. I usually tell myself that for all the hard work going against, on my return it will be rewarded. As contact lens wearer so no matter what glasses I have, I invariably get something in my eye and have to deal with the discomfort though.

#2 narrow roads. I am uneasy when on a 2 laner that is narrow. When the car traffic is light, motorists give me enough space. During higher travelled hours, I have had enough close encounters with mirrors and arrogant drivers who almost push me off the road. Most times I can avid these roads but certain rides, it is the only way.

·
gastarbeiter
1,513 Posts
rogger said:
Tell me...I've often vowed to emigrate.
don't know where in the UK you are, but after living in Scotland for a couple of years, I can vouch that you get plenty of wind AND rain :)

Kuma601 said:
#1 is wind. As contact lens wearer so no matter what glasses I have, I invariably get something in my eye and have to deal with the discomfort though.
here's a tip from somone who always rides with contacts - wear Oakley's, or another brand of cyling glasses :)

·
Government Mule
1,326 Posts
Just a couple days ago I set out on an errand ride with 40mph winds predicted on the return direction. Wrestled whether to take the newly geared down three speed or the mountain bike. Never even considered the road bike. Decided on the mountain bike and had to face those winds gusting directly in my face, and was also hit with sleet at temps in the low 40's. I had to vacillate between the lowest gear and several up as the wind would charge and release. A challenging ride in conditions that I may never again experience. Set me to wondering at what point does the bike become a burden as opposed to being the most efficient form of human transport. I was wearing Oakley one piece M frame glasses and was forced to remove the visor with mirror from my helmet leaving me with only my ears and look backs to check six. Went on a windy road ride with a new buddy not long ago where we drafted on the way out into the wind, but spent a lot of time chatting side by side on the way back.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Great tips, thanx

Mr. Versatile said:
I'm a power rider, and I excel in the wind. When we turn into the wind, I try not to "panic." I ride in the drops, concentrate on keeping my knees & elbows in, & my head low. Depending on the wind speed, I'll downshift a gear or two, and maintain my spin rate.

I can't look into anybody elses head to see what's in there, but for me, the noise of the wind bothers me. I try to sing a song in my head to block out the wind. Johnny B. Goode is one of my favorites. Something by ZZ Top or Lynard Skynard is good, too. I also think thoughts like; if this is hard for me, it must be killing them. Sometimes I'll visualize the wind parting before me.

If you're in a group, (or not), riding close to the edge of the road will usually give you a bit more shelter. If I'm time trialing or in a competitive paceline, I'll use a line of trees or a house that blocks the wind as an opportunity to pick-up the pace. Same thing with a car passing in the direction I'm traveling.

When I'm alone, or in no hurry, I just try to relax, spin, tell myself, "This is all right, I'll get there, I'm in no hurry." I also try REAL hard not to look at the computer.
I also planned my ride so that I alternated into / cross and tail, which made it much more enjoyable.

·
Registered
178 Posts
West End Rail said:

Ahhh the wind my old friend. I love it. Why ? Since I rarely have the luxury of doing a ride from point A to point B without having to return to point A afterwards (e.g. to my car or to my dwelling) I have to battle it almost every time there is wind. So what do I do ? I embrace it.

It's become a training partner. I do not fight it but try to hammer into the wind whenever possible. The reward ? Well imagine going down a fairly flat road at 10 mph (into the wind), then wipping the bike around and coming back at 35 mph. Wahooooooo!

Descending is an art form, in the rain, doubly so. Make sure (as always) to have decent brake pads and stay off the white lines on the road. Wet corners on descents redefine the meaning of the word "gingerly". I beefed it twice during the last 2 months in wet corners in the rain (never on descents though) and am now super-carefull going around any corner.

I may actually start a discussion w/ regards to "best tires in the rain for cornering" or something soon.

Just my grain of salt...

Cheerio.

·
Resident Dutchbag
11,864 Posts
botto said:
don't know where in the UK you are, but after living in Scotland for a couple of years, I can vouch that you get plenty of wind AND rain :)
Not in the UK but in the Netherlands near the shore. We don't really get that much rain really, but windspeeds average at about 12-13 mph and as windspeeds generally are lower at night... you get the picture.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts