Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I love riding on the holidays. Less traffic, drivers are nicer, helps make up for all the stuff you'll eat later.
This morning I set out about 10:30 a.m. on what I thought would be a 50 miler, feeling pretty good about myself and my place in the world. About 15 minutes in I ran over some glass and pop, rear wheel goes flat. Crap. Oh well, break out the CO2 and levers and I'll be on my way.
As I'm stopped, just over a bridge about 3 or 4 miles from home, no less than half a dozen riders whizz by. They all ask me if I'm okay, need anything, make sympathetic noises, etc. Sure, I say. Thumbs up. No problems.
Once I get the new tube in, it turns out my CO2 cartridge isn't working. Or else the tube stem is too short. Or something. Anyway I try everything I can think of and nothing. No more riders come by, shops are far away and closed - I'm stuck.
I hoof it home in 95 degree weather wearing just my cycling socks. Now I'm at work (yeah on the holiday) with bloody blisters on both feet.

In closing, I hope everyone else had a much better holiday ride. God bless America.

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,573 Posts
Always make sure that you have a spare tube with a long enough valve stem to fit the wheel you use. (or carry an extender)
Ps. I had a great ride today.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
lessons learned

In the future I'll always have the right length tube stem. And I may invest in a pump (where do you put a frame pump on a bike these days?)

Also, in rereading my post I caught this - I was not in JUST my bike socks. I had the rest of the my gear on as well. :)

·
Registered
735 Posts
I switched to Kevlar tires. Sure they are heavey, but weight can be made up in other parts, and damn I hate days like that. On my commuter bike I have Specialized's Armidillo tires and I have pulled glass, metal and nails out of those suckers with out getting a flat! I must be going on 500 hundred miles with out a flat (knock wood).................MTT

·
Charismatic Megafauna
547 Posts
"Two is one; one is none."

mohair_chair said:
I haven't used a pump on a flat in years, but I still carry one. Redundancy is your friend.
I think I may have read that on some private military contractor's blog, but I like it for cycling.

Anyhow, be glad you got outside today! I was stuck with a mild bit of food poisoning and I wasn't about to risk going all Greg LeMonde poopy-pants.

Hope that visual cheered you up.

·
You're Not the Boss of Me
7,749 Posts
JimW said:
In the future I'll always have the right length tube stem. And I may invest in a pump (where do you put a frame pump on a bike these days?)

Also, in rereading my post I caught this - I was not in JUST my bike socks. I had the rest of the my gear on as well. :)

Such a disappointment. I was reveling in the socks-only visual. But anyhoo, frame pump along top tube, generally, and after all these years Zefal HpX still rocks. But even a mini pump by the bottle cage could have been a welcome sight for you today, I'm sure...

·
Deliciously Ironic
1,015 Posts
If you'd only been in your socks...

and nothing else, at least the cops would've picked you up! :blush2:

JimW said:

·
Registered
102 Posts
I am sorry to hear about your day. Whenever I see younger guys they look at my framepump and give me a hardtime. Mostly just telling me how much easier it is to use Co2 and how much time they save.
I generally use the framepump and stop into a local bike shop if I need to get those few extra pumps in that I can't get when my arms are tired. As in your case it just doesn't seem worth the extra wieght to have a limited amount of air that has a delivery method that seems to be capable of malfunctioning.
If you aren't racing, or you don't have someone following you you should be a bit more ready for problems.

·
Registered
656 Posts
less traffic? yeah, maybe on neptune or mars. i live in Long Beach, CA, and usually ride south down Pacific Coast Hwy. yesterday, all of Huntington Beach was an absolute circus. some other cities were bad (i rode to San Clemente), but Huntington was the worst. there were people parked and double-parked in the bike lane, peds popping out from between cars, drivers totally disregarding street signs and signals....but i still had a fantastic ride. perfect temperature (80ish?), not much wind, and great legs for the whole ride. beautiful.

sorry to hear about your ride. sometimes, s**t just happens. today will be better for ya!

·
Registered
239 Posts
Ditto

JimW said:
I love riding on the holidays. Less traffic, drivers are nicer, helps make up for all the stuff you'll eat later.
This morning I set out about 10:30 a.m. on what I thought would be a 50 miler, feeling pretty good about myself and my place in the world. About 15 minutes in I ran over some glass and pop, rear wheel goes flat. Crap. Oh well, break out the CO2 and levers and I'll be on my way.
As I'm stopped, just over a bridge about 3 or 4 miles from home, no less than half a dozen riders whizz by. They all ask me if I'm okay, need anything, make sympathetic noises, etc. Sure, I say. Thumbs up. No problems.
Once I get the new tube in, it turns out my CO2 cartridge isn't working. Or else the tube stem is too short. Or something. Anyway I try everything I can think of and nothing. No more riders come by, shops are far away and closed - I'm stuck.
I hoof it home in 95 degree weather wearing just my cycling socks. Now I'm at work (yeah on the holiday) with bloody blisters on both feet.

In closing, I hope everyone else had a much better holiday ride. God bless America.
Same thing. I was into mile four. Traffic going by at 60 mph or so forcing me to the edge of the highway and into debris. Rear tire flatted. I, too, walked home. But, I have shoes where the cleats are recessed into the sole. So, it makes walking no problem.
Except it was in the Coachella Valley and the reported temp was 109.

·
your god hates me
1,604 Posts
jtolleson said:
frame pump along top tube, generally, and after all these years Zefal HpX still rocks. But even a mini pump by the bottle cage could have been a welcome sight for you today, I'm sure...
I have to do so much "portage" (i.e., carrying my bike up steps) that a full size frame pump gets in the way. (I know, I could carry the bike by the saddle nose, but that doesn't always provide enough height when going up steep stairs.)

I've got a Topeak Road Morph pump with the bottle cage clamp. Kicks ass over any other mini pump I've seen (has a flip-down footrest, a flip-out T handle, & a pressure guage, so it's like a little floor pump). Don't leave home without it.

(Edit: oh yeah, I had a great July 4th ride. Sorry about yours.)

·
Shirtcocker
60,886 Posts
JimW said:

reason #1001 on why I carry a full-size frame pump always. Nearly had that happen to me once with C02...never more.

·
Shirtcocker
60,886 Posts
il sogno said:
I've never used CO2 but I've gone through my share of mini pumps. Full sized frame pump for me.
Zefal XPX and forget about it. Makes a good weapon if you need it as well. :eek:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.