Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've come to a realization in the last few months. The worst people that ride right through stop signs are not people in their underwear future suits that are made of spandex. They are not the Freds, they are not the Cat1s, they aren't the worldtour guys. They are the casual commuters. The guys riding with the bad pedaling style, seat too low and wearing jeans.

I'm not going to pretend to be an angel, I don't stop every stop sign. But what I do is slow down and never violate someone else's right of way. If there was a car at the intersection with their left indicator on I slow down or stop so that they can proceed uninterrupted. These casual commuters do not. They just blow through. And honestly if I saw someone get hit and the police asked for a statement I'd tell them they blew through the stop sign. No one follows the rules 100%, but they need to take responsibility for their actions when they don't.

·
Registered
9,658 Posts
Not around here. It's definitely the college students and hipsters who to the bulk of blowing though stop signs like there's not even an intersection there.

Casual commuters are generally to be found on the sidewalk and might ride though "don't walk" lights but aren't big offenders of blowing though stop signs.

·
Registered
873 Posts
I think there are about 7 cycle commuters in my town so I don't have a very good gauge. It's obviously not a big town so I am probably a 50/50 guy. When I don't see a car in either direction for a couple hundred yards I will roll right through.

·
What the what???
12,922 Posts
The worst offenders here seem to be the casual commuters... usually riding Wal-Mart bikes on the sidewalk and on the wrong side of the road.

Second on the list would be teenagers on BMX bikes...

·
Never Give Up!
1,241 Posts
NYC riders are the worst offenders, yes all of them... the ones in the fancy kits and bikes all the way down to the wal-mart/sears bike riders.

·
Registered
11,089 Posts
I especially like the boneheads who blow a stop sign because there are no cars present, but completely disregard the fact that other riders are negotiating the same intersection and sometimes have the ROW.

need to put a bounty on these idiots.

·
Registered
12,061 Posts
I've come to a realization in the last few months. The worst people that ride right through stop signs are not people in their underwear future suits that are made of spandex. They are not the Freds, they are not the Cat1s, they aren't the worldtour guys. They are the casual commuters. The guys riding with the bad pedaling style, seat too low and wearing jeans.

I'm not going to pretend to be an angel, I don't stop every stop sign. But what I do is slow down and never violate someone else's right of way. If there was a car at the intersection with their left indicator on I slow down or stop so that they can proceed uninterrupted. These casual commuters do not. They just blow through. And honestly if I saw someone get hit and the police asked for a statement I'd tell them they blew through the stop sign. No one follows the rules 100%, but they need to take responsibility for their actions when they don't.
You are indeed a better person than those casual (ugh almost threw up there) commuters.
Which one of those casual (damn bile... stay down) did not take responsibility for their actions?

·
Registered
189 Posts
Maybe in your town, but where I live, it's the homeless people. They ride on the wrong side of the road, in the middle of the road, on the sidewalk, hell, anywhere they feel like it. Stop signs? Red lights? Pffftt....out of my way b*tches!

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You are indeed a better person than those casual (ugh almost threw up there) commuters.
Which one of those casual (damn bile... stay down) did not take responsibility for their actions?
I saw a guy riding at night with no lights blowing through a stop sign (that was down hill) them complaining about how a car who stopped, signaled it was turning left, and proceeded to turn almost hit him.

·
Registered
295 Posts
The casual commuters indeed, and I speculate (from personal experience) as to why: as kids (well, all the kids I knew), we learned in suburbia that a bike was a go-anywhere vehicle. That includes driveways, sidewalks, lawns, roads, and anywhere else we could pedal. Just avoid cars. See a car approaching? Hop off the road and ride down the sidewalk. Would it be quicker to cut across someone's lawn and down their driveway? Go right ahead.

While this may have been tolerable for a five-year-old on a suburban cul-de-sac, the casual commuters in question seem to have defaulted back to their childhoods, not realizing that they've grown up and are driving a (two-wheeled) vehicle on the roads with other road users.

As a teen, I was pulled over by a police officer after blowing a stop sign on my bike. I was surprised to learn that I was to obey the laws of the road, even on a bicycle. And I think most motorists and too many casual cyclists suffer from the same ignorance or misconceptions.

I think I've rambled, but my point is that if all road users, whatever their vehicles, understand and abide by road rules, we'd all be safer and less frustrated.

·
Registered
6,840 Posts

Around Socal, "old man" commuters are actually very obedient of the laws. By far, WAY FAR, the worse offenders I see are the "fast guys" (both old and young) on fast weekend rides. These guys as a group (30-50 guys) will blow through every stop sign and redlight if they think the cops aren't around. And when you see a yellow even at a good distance away, you better speed up (to run the red), because if you slow down preparing to stop, you'll get rammed up the ass, and yes it would be your fault.

·
Registered
8,796 Posts
This stuff should be covered in the rules of the road. There is no clear understanding of the laws and how they apply to cyclists except by cyclists. In a car centric society a bicycle is a toy for children that most grow out of as soon as they take an interest in girls/boys or can drive.

If bicycles and the law was covered in drivers ed. and tested for when getting/renewing drivers licenses, more people than just cyclists would understand the interaction.

I've seen uniformed cops riding against traffic and children riding with helmets while their parents riding without helmets; how's anyone supposed to get it with those kinds of examples?

·
Registered
113 Posts
I'm in New Zealand and drive a lot for my job. Both cyclists and car drivers are equally bad at not stopping at compulsory stop signs here. I now make a point of stopping at them if there's anyone around just to prove a point that some cyclists do actually stop.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Eh. Cyclists blaming bike riders. Time to move on.

Reactions: Lombard

·
Registered
27,471 Posts
NYC riders are the worst offenders, yes all of them... the ones in the fancy kits and bikes all the way down to the wal-mart/sears bike riders.
The game is faster in the Big Apple; always has been. NYC drivers are the best in the country. DC drivers are getting better, but they're still hesitant and do stupid things which interrupts the flow.

The hipsters and college students in DC are the most like NY drivers. They go as fast as possible, miraculously avoiding obstacles and threading through the cars like they're nothing. Situational awareness on a bike is superb. So I don't put it against them. They're masterfully negotiating their way through the gridlock, getting to where they want to go, as if in a different dimension from the clumsy, snail like automotive traffic.

I've never seen any of them crashing into cars or pissing drivers off, either. In that respect its kind of like NY. They go with the flow, and make their moves when the opportunities come up. Good for them; worthy of emulating if you're up to it. :D

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,440 Posts
Eh. Cyclists blaming bike riders. Time to move on.

^^^This^^^

I can't tell you how many times I would have been T-boned by other "cyclists" blasting through stop signs and red lights had I not sensed they wouldn't stop.

From my own observations, the most lawless and dangerous riders are the higher level road racers.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,440 Posts
The game is faster in the Big Apple; always has been. NYC drivers are the best in the country.......
Huh? :rolleyes: Maybe not the worst, but certainly nothing to brag about.

The hipsters and college students in DC are the most like NY drivers. They go as fast as possible, miraculously avoiding obstacles and threading through the cars like they're nothing. Situational awareness on a bike is superb. So I don't put it against them. They're masterfully negotiating their way through the gridlock, getting to where they want to go, as if in a different dimension from the clumsy, snail like automotive traffic.

I've never seen any of them crashing into cars or pissing drivers off, either. In that respect its kind of like NY. They go with the flow, and make their moves when the opportunities come up. Good for them; worthy of emulating if you're up to it. :D
Or if you have a death wish. :rolleyes: In a world of a rider wearing not much more than underwear vs. 2 tons of steel, I would bet on the 2 tons of steel.

·
Registered
11,089 Posts
From my own observations, the most lawless and dangerous riders are the higher level road racers.
meh...there are dumbasses across the range of riders.

it ain't just faux racers being clueless.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts