·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Super Moderator
41,447 Posts
Based on what I can see...

...and assuming the parts aren't that worn, I'd part it out. Getting it running would cost new rubber, minimum, on what look to be crap wheels (27" Schrader-valved Arayas or Ukais?) Then there's the issue of whether you'd need to swap out cables, and whether the hubs (Sunshine?) are any good. The Shimano 600 Arabesque parts are desireable, can't tell what the crankset is. The frame is a perfectly serviceable, but nothing-special, one, and would make a good commuter if it's your size.

·
Bikespace member
4,461 Posts
i agree. the crank looks to be 600 also. the parts will fetch a decent price - not a lot, but decent - if you clean them up. i'm using the gruppo on my 3rensho :D for now. the frameset is definitely not worth the parts on it.

·
Registered
614 Posts
And now, for something completely different......

Is the bike your size? If so, and if you would like to have a comfortable, everyday sort of bike in your stable, you could do a lot worse than this. This bike features more relaxed angles and a longer wheelbase. There is likely to be some lateral flex in the bottom bracket, but the up side should be a sense of resilience on bumps/rough roads, as opposed to the staccato 'I'm feeling every bump in the roots of my teeth' sensation of riding certain aluminum frames. Look, it's not a Schwinn Paramount. I'm guessing that some of the negative reaction to your bike has a little to do with the fact that the Ross brand wasn't lusted over back in the day.

What I'm trying to communicate is this: even a mediocre steel frame that is in alignment and doesn't suffer from heavy rust/corrosion issues can be maintained, enjoyed, and be useful throughout the life of the owner, barring accidents or theft. You have something that might be passed on to someone else. Contrast this with the multi thousand dollar composite construction bicycles being sold today, most, if not all, of which must be regarded as temporary, disposable bicycles.

How about a photo of the frame tubing decal? Also, does the bike have Shimano 600 hubs?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Something completely different

Thanks for your feedback. Yes the bike does fit me, the bars are a little narrow for me and the relaxed angles and smooth ride would be a plus as the chip and tar roads around suburban Philly came be a little brutal.

I will post a pic of the tubing decal , I can tell you it is 1020 steel. I will also confirm the hubs are 600 or not.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
I vote to keep it. I think having an "old" bike is kinda cool - especially if it has any sentimental value. I inherited an old Gitane from my father that I grew up riding as a teenager. It was only on special occasions (races or big charity rides) that dad would let me ride it back then. I took it over to the LBS and all the mechanics thought it was a neat old bike. Cleaned it up an ran new cables/tires for $150 and now I have a bad weather trainer as a minimum. The picture shows it before I replaced the seat and also removed the old generator/light system. I'll have to shoot another picture of it - has a clean/fast look.

Just my $0.02

·
Registered
274 Posts
Nor_Cal:

There's a world of difference between your Gitane and the Ross. I picked up a used Gitane like yours back in '74, after my Frejus got stolen. Granted, the bike had French threading, but the frame was Reynolds 531, like yours, and had Campy Nuovo Record components. The only reason I don't still have the frame was that it was too big for me (but the components are still in service on an '84 Trek 760 frame).

You can't compare your bike to the Ross. You've got an old racehorse there, vs one that's a candidate for the glue factory. If I got a nice Gitane like yours from my Dad I'd keep it too!

To gcamp: I don't know whether it's worth it to retore the Ross. Just lube up the chain and shifter cables and ride it, unless you have a sentimental reason for restoring it.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Bill -

While I understand and agree that there is no comparison between my old Gitane and the Ross in the OP, the concept remains the same - if the Ross has some sentimental value, then it would be worth the repairs/fix-up money. I was just trying to give an example - I was actually told by several people to either junk or go SS with the Gitane when I first got it.

Different strokes for different folks....

·
Registered
274 Posts
Nor_Cal:

No arguments with you at all on any of your comments. If the Ross has sentimental value for the owner, then that's completely valid. Restore it, ride it, enjoy it. Heck, some folks get positively gooey over Schwinn Varsity bikes. Not my thing, but whatever floats yer boat. . .

My point is the inherent value of the bike. Again, your Gitane is a true race machine: that frame was ridden in the Tour de France. I doubt if anyone could say that about the Ross.

·
Registered
614 Posts
I don't mean to get all gooey.......

Bill Silverman said:
..... If the Ross has sentimental value for the owner, then that's completely valid. Restore it, ride it, enjoy it. Heck, some folks get positively gooey over Schwinn Varsity bikes. Not my thing, but whatever floats yer boat. . .
Hell, I'll come out and say it......I'm sentimental for the era, which has largely passed. The Ross looks the way a bicycle is supposed to look, plus it's one of the best that company made.

Better brakes than on the Gitane, too!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.