Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am currently using Mavic Open Pro rims laced with DT Titanium spokes to Chris King Hubs.
I do like my current wheelset but was wondering if by chnging the spokes to SAPIM X-Rays spokes, will it make the wheelset stiffer?
Thanks for your advise

· Registered
838 Posts
chanhoward said:
I am currently using Mavic Open Pro rims laced with DT Titanium spokes to Chris King Hubs.
I do like my current wheelset but was wondering if by chnging the spokes to SAPIM X-Rays spokes, will it make the wheelset stiffer?
Thanks for your advise
It might make it a little bit stiffer but it wouldn't be much if it did.

· Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the reply

Hi everyone,
Thanks for the reply.
Unfortunately, I broke one spoke (rear wheel drive side) yesterday while riding (my second Titanium spoke to break in a year).
That means that I have get get myself new spokes.
I did some reserach on pricing as well as spoke performance, after some consideration, I have decided to get the Sapim Race spokes, my reasons are:
1. Much cheaper than the CX-Ray and DT Swiss Competition
2. Stronger than CX-Ray (though the Sapim Race might heavier)
I prefer to use stronger spokes from now on, especially at the rear wheel and at the drive side
Thanks
Howard

· Old, slow, and fat.
3,897 Posts
IME the wheel isn't gonna feel like you've got a flat tire any more, but AFA side-to-side it shouldn't be too much different.

AFA CX-Rays, prolly not the bestest choice $$ wise for a 'normal' build

M

· Registered
4,105 Posts
chanhoward said:
Hi everyone,
Thanks for the reply.
Unfortunately, I broke one spoke (rear wheel drive side) yesterday while riding (my second Titanium spoke to break in a year).
That means that I have get get myself new spokes.
I did some reserach on pricing as well as spoke performance, after some consideration, I have decided to get the Sapim Race spokes, my reasons are:
1. Much cheaper than the CX-Ray and DT Swiss Competition
2. Stronger than CX-Ray (though the Sapim Race might heavier)
I prefer to use stronger spokes from now on, especially at the rear wheel and at the drive side
Thanks
Howard
The Race spokes will be significantly heavier and stiffer, but CX-Rays should be stronger in fatigue.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.