Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Came across an ad:

BONTRAGER RACE LITE 700C Clincher

Used

About $250.

Is this wheelset worth the money if their in great shape?
 

·
Descender
Joined
·
1,940 Posts
Performance has a deal right now on Dura Ace / Open Pros at just over $300, new - much better deal.

My wife had Bonty race lites on her bike - in one thousand miles we had to true them twice. She is 120 lbs and rides cautiously - since replacing those wheels with another brand she has had no problems in 2,000 miles since.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
pdh777 said:
Performance has a deal right now on Dura Ace / Open Pros at just over $300, new - much better deal.

My wife had Bonty race lites on her bike - in one thousand miles we had to true them twice. She is 120 lbs and rides cautiously - since replacing those wheels with another brand she has had no problems in 2,000 miles since.
Hey Pd,

Link?

I can't find them on there.
I only see a set sale priced @ $415. and their unavailable.
Is that the set your referring to?

http://www.performancebike.com/shop...tegory_ID=5320&CFID=25091860&CFTOKEN=20436315



What I like about the Bonty's is that they'll be a no problem fit on my Trek 1.5.
Their "take offs" from an '08 Madone 5.5 (you know, keeping it in the family).
And supposedly, their practically new with under a hundred miles on them.

I'm not one for buying used parts, but this seems like a great deal with little risk involved.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,474 Posts
??

2ndGen said:
What I like about the Bonty's is that they'll be a no problem fit on my Trek 1.5.
Why wouldn't any other 700C wheel be a 'no-problem' fit as well?

As to Race-Lites: their reputation is so-so, with many people replacing relatively new ones as a hedge against problems later on. Not saying it's entirely justified, but that's the way it is. I'd consider Ultegra hubs/Open Pro rims wheels instead. Break a spoke and you keep on riding, unlike Race-Lites. :)
 

·
Stumpcake!
Joined
·
5,950 Posts
I hated my Race Lites....although I got them a few years ago. I've heard they've worked on some of the issues but it doesn't matter because I'm done with Bontrager. I think they're overpriced, overhyped and underperforming. There's much better choices out there...both from a price and performance perspective.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,344 Posts
2ndGen said:
Came across an ad:

BONTRAGER RACE LITE 700C Clincher

Used

About $250.

Is this wheelset worth the money if their in great shape?
I like my Race Lites. I posted in another forum/thread about this. However, I wouldn't give you $250 for a brand new set fresh off a new bike. For a set of used, maybe $50-100.

See the thing I like mainly about the Bonty's is Trek will replace them They have a 5yr warranty, and you don't get that when you are not the original buyer.

my 2 1/2¢
zac
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
57 Posts
zac said:
I like my Race Lites. I posted in another forum/thread about this. However, I wouldn't give you $250 for a brand new set fresh off a new bike. For a set of used, maybe $50-100.

See the thing I like mainly about the Bonty's is Trek will replace them They have a 5yr warranty, and you don't get that when you are not the original buyer.

my 2 1/2¢
zac
BINGO! I had my rear 08 RL wheel replaced - Trek seems to be easy to deal with and had the new wheel in less than a week.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys for all your advice. I really appreciate it.

From my research, I've found that supposedly there is a weight limit on RL's (well over 200lbs.).

I'm just over at about 205 (I'll easily be under 190 by Spring).

I've read reviews where people have spoken of problems (albeit, from 3 years ago),
but haven't been able to find any complaints from current models and read where
their quirks were worked out.

I've found takes-offs from $100. to $150.
I'll definitely reconsider price.
If they are what their said to be (in new condition),
I'll get them.

I've also read that SSR's while heavy are very strong.

While shedding 3lbs ("if" it's true that the SSR's weigh that much more) would be great,
I won't give up strength for weight ever. If I lose weight, the strength of the rim will have to
be either at least the same or superior to what I'm upgrading to.

My bike is currently 20.67lbs. a drop to 17lbs (with the RL's and clipless) would make a notable difference, but I won't give up strength to get there. if the bike has to stay at 20lbs for now to remain as safe as it is, so be it. And coming off of a 33lbs MTB, 20lbs is wayyyy light enough for me. :D

If I can confirm that the RL's are at least as strong as the SSRs, then I'll get them.

But I'm finding it difficult to beleive that Trek would put a wheelset on a $4000. bike that would fall apart. I believe in design flaws, yes and I believe that initial year products do have issues that need to get worked out. Hopefully, by 2008, they got it right.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
wim said:
Why wouldn't any other 700C wheel be a 'no-problem' fit as well?

As to Race-Lites: their reputation is so-so, with many people replacing relatively new ones as a hedge against problems later on. Not saying it's entirely justified, but that's the way it is. I'd consider Ultegra hubs/Open Pro rims wheels instead. Break a spoke and you keep on riding, unlike Race-Lites. :)
Hi W.

With regards to there being a "no problem" fit, the intent of my statment was to express my comfort with factory approved/installed components.

Example: With a car, any "right size" tire will fit, but to put on a set of tires that came with the car originally or that are used in the manufacturer's model line brings the car's peformance back to stock or possibly better without a question. While of course this is also possible with non-stock tires, it's guaranteed with stock items that you will get at least back to stock specs.

:)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,474 Posts
Correction.

2ndGen said:
But I'm finding it difficult to beleive that Trek would put a wheelset on a $4000. bike that would fall apart.
Perhaps my " . . . keep on riding, unlike Race-Lites." was an unfortunate choice of words. I didn't mean to imply that those wheels will fall apart if a spoke breaks. But a broken spoke on a low spoke count wheel usually throws the rim out of true so badly that the bike becomes unrideable. Hence the suggestion to go with traditional wheels like Ultegra/Open Pro instead. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,474 Posts
2ndGen said:
Hi W.

With regards to there being a "no problem" fit, the intent of my statment was to express my comfort with factory approved/installed components.

Example: With a car, any "right size" tire will fit, but to put on a set of tires that came with the car originally or that are used in the manufacturer's model line brings the car's peformance back to stock or possibly better without a question. While of course this is also possible with non-stock tires, it's guaranteed with stock items that you will get at least back to stock specs.

:)
Understand your reasoning, but there are those who believe that the factory-installed wheels are the weakest components on almost all stock Trek bicycles. Just saying.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
wim said:
Perhaps my " . . . keep on riding, unlike Race-Lites." was an unfortunate choice of words. I didn't mean to imply that those wheels will fall apart if a spoke breaks. But a broken spoke on a low spoke count wheel usually throws the rim out of true so badly that the bike becomes unrideable. Hence the suggestion to go with traditional wheels like Ultegra/Open Pro instead. :)
Hey W,

Maybe my comment was taken incorrectly.

The kind of reviews I've read on RL's is that they've either been bad (usually failing on a bike ridden by a heavy rider) or that they've been great. There's been no middle consensus.

When I wrote that about Trek putting wheels that'd fall apart on a Madone, I meant that Trek put those wheels on in good faith and that there probably were just a batch of bad wheels in a production run. Again, I've seen these complaints coming mostly from 2006 models.

I'm sure Trek wouldn't put them on if they in anyway considered them to be weak or faulty.

:)
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
wim said:
Understand your reasoning, but there are those who believe that the factory-installed wheels are the weakest components on almost all stock Trek bicycles. Just saying.
Ahhh...but look at it like this:

Trek 1.5 comes with SSR wheelset.
Putting RL's on it definitely upgrade it, right?
And, the Madone that this set comes off of gets a new set.
Trickle down upgrades!

:lol:

If it's true that SSR's weigh just over 3000 grams and I put on a set of wheels that way about almost 1700 grams, I just knocked off about 3lbs off my bike.

One man's junk is another man's upgrade.

:D
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ok, now I've come across a set of Bontrager Race X Lites off of an '08 Madone 6.5.
Supposedly "new" take-offs.

"How much" better are these than standard Race Lites?
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top