Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last night I was taking out the trash and noticed a bike by a neighbors trash can. So I went to check it out and it was old but in pretty good shape. So I grabbed it and went to the my garage, it has lights, to further investigate. Turns out it is a Nishiki Sport. Cro-Moly frame, Sugino Cranks, Dia-Comp Brakes, Shimano 600 SIS derailleur, Suntor front derailleur, shimano 600 shifters. This bike is old probably 1980's but the frame looks good. Components needs some help and the rims are true.
Now I was trying to figure out what to do with this bike, I hate to see a good bike head to the dump. I can't find anything on this bike. Anyone know anything about them?
I don't see me upgrading everything on this, because it may need everything. But thinking of either a single speed or fixed gear.
If anyone can give me some input on this bike It would be appreciated.

·
On your left!
1,299 Posts
This kind of question gets more response in

emfc said:
Last night I was taking out the trash and noticed a bike by a neighbors trash can. So I went to check it out and it was old but in pretty good shape. So I grabbed it and went to the my garage, it has lights, to further investigate. I don't see me upgrading everything on this, because it may need everything. But thinking of either a single speed or fixed gear.
If anyone can give me some input on this bike It would be appreciated.
...the retro forum. You may want to post it there as well.

But, being that I love coming across these kinds of finds, I'll throw some opinions in.

Sounds like a good find. But as you say, not really worth upgrading.

Being a Sport model, chances may be that it has a cromo straight butted main triangle and at least a Hi Tensile rear triangle or at best a matching cromo rear triangle. Nothing too bad, just a little heavy.

But, with the 600 SIS drive train, I'd give it the benefit of a doubt that it is a decent (sport, not racing) bike. The other parts, Sugino Cranks and Dia-Comp Brakes, were all standard issue entry level nice bike stuff in the 80's. So again, I say nice find.

What to do...Hmmm, first of all, does it fit you? If so, keep it and find something to do with it.

Options, rated by what I'd do.

1. Fixed gear. Ditch the 600 shifters and rear deraileur. Clean em up and make a few ebay dollars. Use the money towards a new rear wheel (fixed flip flop).

To see lots of old roadies turned fixies, visit this site for some ideas.

www.fixedgeargallery.com

2. Clean it up, put new cables and chain (if needed) and use as your cool retro rainy day bike.

3. If it does not fit you, strip it down and parse it out on ebay. I'd bet you pull in at least 100.00 if you market it well... But is the 5 hours you'll spend tearing down, photographing and listing worth it all? If not, list it as it is on the classified board for best offer and at $2.00 for the listing, its the best deal on the net.

If you sell it, do a good deed and take your friend to Wendy's and splurge on the one dollar menu.

*******THIS IS IMPORTANT******

If your neighbor spots you having fun on his old bike, he is going to ask for it back. So don't get too attached!!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.