Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I found a pretty decent deal for a set of RS80 wheels and am considering getting them. I currently ride an all stock 2005 Trek 2100 that has the Bontrager Race wheels. They're still true and have never given me a problem but they're heavy and not sure if I like the flat spokes esp in crosswinds. I've seen people say that the Bontrager Race weighs just north of 1900 grams so the RS80's will be a ~400 gram drop.

Now, I weigh 165lbs, don't race, but might give one a go by the end of the year, and mainly do fun rides and put on say around 4000 miles annually. Is this upgrade worthwhile? Or would saving up for a set of ROL Race SL, or similar (handbuilt or otherwise) wheel, be a better buy (though about 2x the price). Mainly looking to upgrade for faster accel and a better ride. I know they're a shallow rim but if they're more aero than what I have that would be a nice bonus. What say you?

·
A wheelist
11,322 Posts
Get yourself a nice set of handbuilt wheels and then you're not buying into all the negative well documented aspects of pre-built boutique wheels. The best bang for the dollar are the BWW Blackset Race. They're at least as good, cheaper than and lighter than anything you listed.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Considering the fact that I don't race those BWW Blackset Race wheels seem a little bit scary considering the front hub is a scant 71g while most other hubs are nearly double the weight (Dura-Ace being 126g). I can't quickly find anything remotely in that ballpark, about the lowest I can quickly find is just over 100g. There's no durability issues or maintenance issues there? I should add on that I do add a rack onto the bike occasionally so needs to be able to tack on another 20 lbs to my weight.

But in the end a set of handbuilts based on Neo30's, Rev/Comp/Laser (or CX-ray for extra $$) spokes and a WI hub will probably be better in the long run over the RS80's is what's being recommended? I would be getting the RS80's ~$340 next to brand new.

·
A wheelist
11,322 Posts
makeitso said:
Considering the fact that I don't race those BWW Blackset Race wheels seem a little bit scary considering the front hub is a scant 71g while most other hubs are nearly double the weight (Dura-Ace being 126g). I can't quickly find anything remotely in that ballpark, about the lowest I can quickly find is just over 100g. There's no durability issues or maintenance issues there? I should add on that I do add a rack onto the bike occasionally so needs to be able to tack on another 20 lbs to my weight.
But in the end a set of handbuilts based on Neo30's, Rev/Comp/Laser (or CX-ray for extra $$) spokes and a WI hub will probably be better in the long run over the RS80's is what's being recommended? I would be getting the RS80's ~$340 next to brand new.
BWW does rate the Race at up to 195lbs. I'm 170 and they've been fine. They took a big hit, more than I would have expected, a few weeks ago, chronicled here.

To your last question - any wheelset that uses normal spokes, IMO, would be better than those straight pull, proprietary, spokes of the Shimanos. You like WI hubs? I have a set and they're great. Zen Cyclery (who hang around on this forum) uses them.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts