Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Beetpull DeLite
12,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy everyone. I've been looking at road bikes for a few years now, but would always end up buying either another bike or parts, eating up my budget. Well, I've decided to go for it, and had my heart set on a Specialized steel frame and 105 kit, or a Fuji or Giant ready-made roadie.

Then yesterday, I received an email from a guy I've ridden with, who's selling his '02 Cannondale Cyclocross Ultra. He's offering it at a good price, and it's awfully tempting. He's been using it only as a road bike, and says it works fine as one...and that's what I'd use it as.

It's a little closer to mt. bike geometry, and is a little heavier duty...I figure that's better for me, coming from nothing but mt. bikes my whole life. I can slip up and do things I wouldn't with a pure roadie, and not get scared it'll break. Plus I think it might be more comfortable with what I'm used to. I can upgrade to a nice roadie in a few years, anyway.

So, do you think I'll be happy? Will I care about the extra weight and slight loss of aerodynamics? Just looking for some feedback from anyone who's done what I'm thinking of doing. I like the fact I'll be saving some money and getting something a little different, but just not positive it's what I want. Thanks in advance!

Brian

PS: I'm going to make dang sure it's a good fit before I buy it. Any tips on what to look for?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Love Mine

I've had mine for about 3 months now. Ridden it in the desert, highways and gravel roads as well as alot on the road...In short I love it. Very comfortable, does off road well. Sort of like a Ford F150. Good luck

GirchyGirchy said:
Howdy everyone. I've been looking at road bikes for a few years now, but would always end up buying either another bike or parts, eating up my budget. Well, I've decided to go for it, and had my heart set on a Specialized steel frame and 105 kit, or a Fuji or Giant ready-made roadie.

Then yesterday, I received an email from a guy I've ridden with, who's selling his '02 Cannondale Cyclocross Ultra. He's offering it at a good price, and it's awfully tempting. He's been using it only as a road bike, and says it works fine as one...and that's what I'd use it as.

It's a little closer to mt. bike geometry, and is a little heavier duty...I figure that's better for me, coming from nothing but mt. bikes my whole life. I can slip up and do things I wouldn't with a pure roadie, and not get scared it'll break. Plus I think it might be more comfortable with what I'm used to. I can upgrade to a nice roadie in a few years, anyway.

So, do you think I'll be happy? Will I care about the extra weight and slight loss of aerodynamics? Just looking for some feedback from anyone who's done what I'm thinking of doing. I like the fact I'll be saving some money and getting something a little different, but just not positive it's what I want. Thanks in advance!

Brian

PS: I'm going to make dang sure it's a good fit before I buy it. Any tips on what to look for?

·
Registered
766 Posts
I was a Mt. biker first and then switched to road.

IMO I would get the 105ish road bike. That's what I did. A cross bike is going to be slightly slower than a regular road bike, and not as good offroad as your mountain bike.

If I could only have one bike maybe I would pick a cross bike as they are really versatile, but if you're going to have more than one why not have each one be more specialized? As long as you're on the road the real road bike is going to be more exciting.

Mt. bikes work just fine on the road too, of course.

105 is good stuff despite what so many people say. I've got 10,000 miles on mine and I haven't had to replace any non-wear items, just cables, chain, cassettes, etc..

Ben

·
Administrator
13,100 Posts
A cross bike is a good option (if it fits, like you said). I have one as my back up road bike. Plus you can try a few cross races in the fall.

Coolhand

·
Registered
69 Posts
dont half*ss it

I think you would be unhappy with the cross bike. One of the biggest appeals in road riding is the speed, and you'd be shortchanged on that cross. Its just not going to have the same performance as a pure bred bike. I fear if you ride the Cdale for a few months, you'll be wanting more, especially if you've been considering this move for years. If you're going to the road side of the house, dont half*ss it, go all the way.

I recommend a road bike with compact frame geometry to meet your comfort needs and mountain biking background.

See you on the road. Good luck.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Ah... forgot to mention what I think is a more important point than the actual bike.

Buying a used bike that may not fit you perfectly might not be the best way to get into road biking. If you go buy a new pure road bike, you're more likely to get a really good fit from the shop. That is worth a lot. Certainly more on a road bike than a mountain bike.

Ben

·
NeoRetroGrouch
6,491 Posts
I own Mtb, Cross and Road...

and I do 95+% of my riding on the cross bike. It does my Centuries and breakfast rides. I ride it in the club rides along side all the Wisconsin carbon and Italian steel. I've raced it in a Crit and even at the Velodrome. And when it comes to dirt paths or light single track, it's unbelievably fun. As for speed or performance, any failings are not the bike's fault.

FWIW,
TF

·
Beetpull DeLite
12,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the opinions, I'll keep them in mind.

I made a trip to one of the LBS's here today, and they've started carrying Fuji bikes. The road bikes look especially appealing; I like the Roubaix Pro with its Reynolds frame, carbon fork, full 105 set, and nice looking Ritchey wheels and components, for only $1000. That's at the top of my list right now, along with the aluminum and carbon Roubaix. The Giant OCR1 looks impressive for the price, too. I'll also look into the Specialized Allez Elite.

I'm certainly not ruling the Cannondale out. I'm going to test ride a couple of the bikes mentioned above (the Fujis and maybe the Giant) to get a good idea of what to look for when riding the 'cross bike. That way, I'll be better equipped to compare the two types of bikes.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Roubaix Pro

GirchyGirchy said:

I made a trip to one of the LBS's here today, and they've started carrying Fuji bikes. The road bikes look especially appealing; I like the Roubaix Pro with its Reynolds frame, carbon fork, full 105 set, and nice looking Ritchey wheels and components, for only $1000. That's at the top of my list right now, along with the aluminum and carbon Roubaix. The Giant OCR1 looks impressive for the price, too. I'll also look into the Specialized Allez Elite.

I'm certainly not ruling the Cannondale out. I'm going to test ride a couple of the bikes mentioned above (the Fujis and maybe the Giant) to get a good idea of what to look for when riding the 'cross bike. That way, I'll be better equipped to compare the two types of bikes.
I owned one. I liked the bike alot but it was to small. Im sorry to say that as good as the Ritchey wheels look, the ZED hubs are crummy. So far the rest of thecompoents are on a steel frame and work great. .

Have you looked at any Jamis bikes? They offer some nice stuff.

yare skeptic but the rest of the conponents are 105 and quality.

·
Registered
496 Posts
As most are saying so far

GirchyGirchy said:

Brian

A CX bike cant be thought of as a roadie and visa versa. A CX bike will be heavier with slacker angles (in most cases) and a higher BB. This makes um sluggish on the road due tothe angles and downright sketchy on fast descents due to the BB height.

They just dont roll or allow you to stay on top of a big gear either. But theyre fun as heIl in the dirt with big tires.

I use my roadie for commuting and road rides in the hills. I like it alot. its really the urban assault vehicle of preference.

·
Beetpull DeLite
12,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
jrm said:
I owned one. I liked the bike alot but it was to small. Im sorry to say that as good as the Ritchey wheels look, the ZED hubs are crummy. So far the rest of thecompoents are on a steel frame and work great. .

Have you looked at any Jamis bikes? They offer some nice stuff.
Thanks for the input. It looks like a pretty well made bike all around. If I end up with one, I'll keep an eye out on the hubs!

The closest Jamis dealers are both around 1.5 hours away, and I want to purchase a bike locally. They do have some nice looking bikes, but the convinience factor is not there.

Thanks!

·
Clear Lake, TX
3,269 Posts
Giant OCR1, etc...

The OCR1 is a great bike for the money. Ultegra for so little money! The OCR2 has secondary brake levers on the handlebar's tops (used on many cyclecross bikes), which may be good for someone coming from MTB's. The bike shop can even order a pair of secondary levers for the OCR1 and put them on for about $35. 'Cross bikes are fun, but a pure road bike sure has its strengths as mentioned by the others. I'd go with a road bike and maybe later buy a 'cross bike.

You may want to try Giant's TCR as well since it has a tighter, quicker handling geometry than the more relaxed OCR frame. The OCR would be a bit more comfy for longer rides and ride a little more stable handling.

Also, try to get the Giant's promotional price instead of the MSRP. It can save you an extra $150 at the OCR1 level (we sell Giants at my store ;) ). Tell them you can get it at that price somewhere else.

About the C'dale 'cross bike... of the 'cross bikes available the Cannondale impressed me the least. Mind you, this is just my opinion. It looks cool but is quite heavy for the price (new). I'd consider the Bianchi Concept 'cross bike, or for a great price, the Giant 'cross

GirchyGirchy said:

·
Beetpull DeLite
12,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Tig said:
The OCR1 is a great bike for the money. Ultegra for so little money! The OCR2 has secondary brake levers on the handlebar's tops (used on many cyclecross bikes), which may be good for someone coming from MTB's. The bike shop can even order a pair of secondary levers for the OCR1 and put them on for about $35. 'Cross bikes are fun, but a pure road bike sure has its strengths as mentioned by the others. I'd go with a road bike and maybe later buy a 'cross bike.

You may want to try Giant's TCR as well since it has a tighter, quicker handling geometry than the more relaxed OCR frame. The OCR would be a bit more comfy for longer rides and ride a little more stable handling.

Also, try to get the Giant's promotional price instead of the MSRP. It can save you an extra $150 at the OCR1 level (we sell Giants at my store ;) ). Tell them you can get it at that price somewhere else.
I saw the secondary levers on the OCR2, but would rather have the upgraded components and carbon seatpost on the 1. And about the TCR...from your description, I think the OCR's more what I'm looking for.

The shop I was in had the bike listed for $1100...what would the promotional price be? Thanks for the tip! :cool:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.