Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
...?
1,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Re-applied to work at a job I quit over a year ago? I'm still looking for a job. I have sent out a minimum of 5 applications/resumes a week for over 2 months, and so far no luck. Not even an interview.

So today I saw a listing for cashiers at a little gourmet grocery store where I used to work in the deli. I gave 2 weeks notice, worked my last scheduled shift, and was on good terms when I left with management. So, should I send in my resume and try to get a job there again?

OTOH, When I left Whole Foods, I was told that I could be re-hired at a different location after 6 months. Unless I find a job I really like, and with comparable pay and benefits before May, I'm going to try to go back to Whole Foods. I left the first place to work at WF the first time.

Am I overthinking all this? Should I be trying to get any job I can right now? or is going back to Whole Foods after being fired a crazy idea? I don't know what to do.

·
still shedding season
8,849 Posts
Try it - we have several re-hires around here.

F&O by chance? I'd get fired from there for being too vigilant with quality control in the olive department (i.e. sampling).

·
...?
1,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
kykr13 said:
F&O by chance? I'd get fired from there for being too vigilant with quality control in the olive department (i.e. sampling).
Ding ding ding!!!!! we have a winner here!!

I worked in the Charcuterie, where I would spew a bunch of BS about caviar and convince people to buy the stuff that was $100 an ounce. And when I got complaints about sampling too much from the prepared foods case, I would just explain that there were several new products I hadn't tried yet, and that customers were asking about, so obviously I had to taste it my self to be able to provide the best possible cusomer service. Really I was just hungry, and couldnt afford to actually buy anything because I had spent too much money downstairs at Dick's the night before.

·
Registered
385 Posts
There's nothing wrong with applying to a former employer IF you left on good terms. It sounds like you did in this case, so go for it. You also have the added advantage of knowing who works there (assuming they are still there) and you might be able to use that as a foot in the door, getting past all the other hopefuls responding to the same ad.

Personally, I would not go back to any company that laid me off, but that is just me. Depending on the market and your personal situation, it might make sense to contact WFM again, too.

Good luck!

·
Registered
3,238 Posts
A bird in the hand. They know you, they have an opening, take the job. With the economy like it is, who knows what Whole Foods may be doing by May.

·
rooster rubber
625 Posts
jd3 said:
A bird in the hand. They know you, they have an opening, take the job. With the economy like it is, who knows what Whole Foods may be doing by May.
I rarely shop at Whole Foods but went a couple of days ago to pick up something for the wifey. The parking lot was packed (I had to park illegally on the street) and the place was jammed with customers. The store here at least seems recession proof.

·
Sticky Valentine
28,404 Posts
Give it a shot.

I've sworn off WF forever ever since I went there a few weeks ago and spent over $40 on a week's worth of produce. Eff them.

joe

·
Sticky Valentine
28,404 Posts
Andrea138 said:
...or is it because the cheese girl blew you off when you came back w/a pen?

That whole thing was a once in a lifetime opportunity that I totally missed the boat on. I've been there a few dozen times since that fateful day, and I've never once seen her working.

joe

·
still shedding season
8,849 Posts
JoeDaddio said:
spent over $40 on a week's worth of produce
F&O would not be your favorite place. It's basically a foodie crack house and if we're in the area we'll drop about fifty bucks on a (one) bag of stuff.

Last time I was at Dick's (not kode) I arrived by kayak with a few other guys. We walked in wearing wetsuits. It was awesome.

·
Sticky Valentine
28,404 Posts
kykr13 said:
F&O would not be your favorite place. It's basically a foodie crack house and if we're in the area we'll drop about fifty bucks on a (one) bag of stuff.

Last time I was at Dick's (not kode) I arrived by kayak with a few other guys. We walked in wearing wetsuits. It was awesome.

WTF is F&O?

joe

·
yup
2,726 Posts
randi_526 said:
Ding ding ding!!!!! we have a winner here!!

I worked in the Charcuterie, where I would spew a bunch of BS about caviar and convince people to buy the stuff that was $100 an ounce. And when I got complaints about sampling too much from the prepared foods case, I would just explain that there were several new products I hadn't tried yet, and that customers were asking about, so obviously I had to taste it my self to be able to provide the best possible cusomer service. Really I was just hungry, and couldnt afford to actually buy anything because I had spent too much money downstairs at Dick's the night before.
I like this story. lolz

Take what you can get for now, times will get better eventually.

·
Moderatus Puisne
15,886 Posts
Randi,

I know your ways.

Signed,

Nature's Fresh NW ( bought by)
Wild Oats Markets (bought by)
Whole Foods

Worked there 3 years at 4 stores, managed 2 departments, quit, came back for 2 summers while in college

Now totally jaded to the idea of PAYING for my food.

·
wut?
14,590 Posts
When I worked at Jewel in high school, I used to smush all the Ferrero Rocher chocolates with my thumb. HTH.

On a side note, how the hell is that pronounced? ro-SHAY?

·
Jerkhard Sirdribbledick
27,035 Posts
If you get the boomerang job, you should be prepared to stay there for a while. It would be pretty lame to leave them for WFM again.

·
2 busy workin' 2 hang out
12,638 Posts
DrRoebuck said:
If you get the boomerang job, you should be prepared to stay there for a while. It would be pretty lame to leave them for WFM again.
And don't steal from them, times are tough for businesses as well.

·
...?
1,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I did it, Just emailed my resume to F&O. Kinda weird to send my resume to a place thats listed on it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts