Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
because I am broke...I am outfitting my road bike into a TT Machine.

Made the obvious adjustmenst;

1.raised and moved my seat forward.
2.Lowered stem
3.Added some Aero Bars and Aero Wheels

But, I am considering taking a hacksaw to my handlebars and cutting them down ( right below the hoods) making it a modified bullhorn handlebar.

Basically I am eliminating " the drops."

So, my question is...would this be too ghetto to pull off?

· waterproof*
41,745 Posts
hmm... leaving vaguely racist adjectives aside, I wouldn't do it.

1) drops come in handy for high speed cornering (assuming your position is adjusted right)
2) you're not really going to save much weight / aero
3) suppose you want to switch it back someday?

· Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have a dedicated road bike, so this machine will be used for TT and fast solo rides.

I saw the 'bullhorn handlebar' and thought I could modify my handlbar.

I was riding today and thought...I could just cut these and have the same effect. My handlbars are ailttle 'busy' with the Aeros and the Drops.

I was just asking..if you saw someone with it...would you think...wtf or would it seem ...nevermind, it is definitey 'trailer parkish'

i'll keep the drops

· What the what???
12,986 Posts
I might think WTF if it was obvious they had taken a hacksaw to their bars. It's how you are able to finish it afterward that will make the difference. Personally, though, I would only try it if I had enough cash to get the bars I wanted in the event that the experiment ended up looking goofy. Otherwise, I'd keep what I had. JMHO.

· Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
because..I would then need to get new brake and shifters.

Again..I am severly lacking extra bike funds this year. Just trying to save some cash

I already bought new Aero Wheels, Skinsuit and the Aero Bars and my TT cash has expired. ...I will eventually upgrade the handlebar as well. I was trying to get by without digging any deeper into my pockets.

It looks like nobody here has considered this before...looks like I will be not be cutting the drops.

· Premium Member
3,495 Posts
I'd be worried that one day I'd try to switch to the missing drops, and grab a handful of air followed by a face-full of road.

· Premium Member
3,495 Posts
TS2213 said:
Well...most Aero Bars are not equipped with drops of any kind.
Understood, but they don't have hoods and STI brake/shift levers either. With that set-up my muscle memory from the road bike would set in, and I'd worry about getting confused about the drops. YMMV.

· Registered
5,480 Posts
Don't taze us about insisting keeping the drops as-is, bro. Cool people end up using it, too.

btw, you can also just angle your bars and line up the shifters to resemble a base bar/bullhorn shape if you want to spend time in such a position.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.