Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a basic fluid trainer that I bought years ago. I used i witht the Garmin 305, heart rate monitor and cadence sensor. I still use the 305 outfit outside. I would like to start tracking distance on the trainer. I don't want to buy a new trainer right now because I'm budgeting for one that you can race others online and such. Any cheap way to do that? I would manually enter my distance in my tracking software if need be (Map my ride or Garmin Connect).

Thanks.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I'll explain what I do & maybe you can do something similar (with what you already have). I have my Garmin Edge 500 on the bars and the Garmin speed and cadence sensors on the bike. I had to go into the Menu on the Garmin to select something (sorry, can't remember what, since I haven't used the trainer since winter) - but what I selected made it use the sensors for distance & speed rather than the GPS - it was in the owner's manual. Worked for me.

·
Registered
151 Posts
The Edge 305 will do what you want as long as you have a GSC10 speed and cadence sensor which will read the revolution of the rear wheel and left crank. The wheel size should already be set from riding outside. When you want to use it inside just turn off the GPS (it should default to GPS next time it's turned on). I used a 305 like this for years but can't remember how to turn off the GPS but it was just a couple of button pushes.

·
Off the back
1,850 Posts
The GSC 10 will work well, but at a cost of $50 or so.
You could buy a cheapo cyclecomputer for $20 mounted at the rear.

·
Registered
4,493 Posts
I use a Sigma 1609 (160g?) wireless computer with the wheel sensor mounted on the left chainstay. Works like a charm.

Some wireless computers don't have the range to reach a rear wheel mounted sensor. I think my Cateye wireless is limited to 70cm, while I believe my Sigma works to 120cm.
Check before you buy.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts