Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Climbs like a sprinter...
6,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Because of breathing through the nose problems my on bike eating is usually always liquid or gel. The only time I can eat/chew something solid is if we're just putting along and I'm not breathing real hard. So I started thinking about my Lotoja (206 mile) race and going to the bathroom. I would rather not get off the bike during the course of the event but I figure I will have to go #2 sometime during the 10-11 hours it's going to take.

So the question is would it be a good idea to consume only liquid/gel fuel the day before the event in order to not have anything going through the pooper on the day of the event?

·
Shirtcocker
60,886 Posts
bmxhacksaw said:
Because of breathing through the nose problems my on bike eating is usually always liquid or gel. The only time I can eat/chew something solid is if we're just putting along and I'm not breathing real hard. So I started thinking about my Lotoja (206 mile) race and going to the bathroom. I would rather not get off the bike during the course of the event but I figure I will have to go #2 sometime during the 10-11 hours it's going to take.

So the question is would it be a good idea to consume only liquid/gel fuel the day before the event in order to not have anything going through the pooper on the day of the event?
Why can't you breathe through your nose? Re #2...I usually go once a day in the morning--you shouldn't have to poop multiple times per day IMO.

·
Spicy Dumpling
9,723 Posts
bmxhacksaw said:
I'd think that it would make it worse. From what I heard from a pharmacist friend and rider, if you eat gels without enough water you'll need to poop more. Just eat normally and take a big poop before your ride. You'll knock a few hundred expensive grams off of your bike as well.

·
Shirtcocker
60,886 Posts
VaughnA said:
I'd think that it would make it worse. From what I heard from a pharmacist friend and rider, if you eat gels without enough water you'll need to poop more. Just eat normally and take a big poop before your ride. You'll knock a few hundred expensive grams off of your bike as well.
If you eat gels without water you'll also have severe GI distress. I found out the hard way on a century once.

·
waterproof*
41,745 Posts
You know the drill Hacksaw, test everything in training. If you're doing a long ride like that, go for a personal ride as long or nearly as long with "race simulation" several weeks in advance so you can shake out quesitons like that.

·
6,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Creakyknees said:
You know the drill Hacksaw, test everything in training. If you're doing a long ride like that, go for a personal ride as long or nearly as long with "race simulation" several weeks in advance so you can shake out quesitons like that.
Yeah, I got a ride over the three big passes of the course planned for two weeks before the event so we'll see.

·
6,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Bocephus Jones II said:
Why can't you breathe through your nose? Re #2...I usually go once a day in the morning--you shouldn't have to poop multiple times per day IMO.
Why I can't breathe through my nose depends on which doctor you ask. Sinusitis, deviated septum, allergies. Three different docs, three different answers, blow me if you can't narrow it down a little better than that. I haven't been able to breathe through my nose for 30 years so I'm kinda used to it.

#2 for some reason I've never been very regular and usually drop the kids off at the pool 2-3 times a day.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.