Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
®
3,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just booked an appointment with the garage behind my office for a tuneup. i asked the mechanic on a whim, (whom i've known for years, but never used before), if i could drop it off for a tuneup sometime. i surprised myself with the question. he told me to bring it in monday. technically speaking, there is nothing that my car needs that i can't do myself for $50 (oil change, new plugs).

so the question is, would i be asking for a karma-induced enema if i canceled said appointment and did the work myself? i'm just as happy to support local business as the next guy, but money doesn't flow like water these days, and i could likely save $100-$200.

i'm leaning toward "you should've thought of that before you booked the appointment, dipshit. HTFU."

·
corning my own beef
5,713 Posts
lawnjers' input may be appreciated, but YAYOQ

·
Glue Sniffer
4,598 Posts
Monday is still a few days away, so it's not like canceling a doc appointment minutes before. I believe Mondays are also usually pretty slow at car places, so I'm sure you aren't screwing his entire schedule by canceling.

When your car breaks and you can't fix it, you'll probably bring it there. If a friend asks for a car repair recommendation, you'll probably recommend that fella saying, "I haven't got any work done there yet, but he seems like a good guy."

Karma is spread in lots of different ways. You know, like herpes.

·
®
3,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
mohair_chair said:
Do modern cars even need tune-ups?

i'm pretty sure they don't, which is why i was surprised with my own question. it was one of those early morning, pre-coffee, awkward conversation moments where you blurt out something ridiculous.

·
had it in the ear before
13,965 Posts
if you dont take it in he might cut your serpentine belt and sell you new muffler bearings.

·
Captain Obvious
11,876 Posts
do it yourself and f#ck it up. bring it in the following monday. shrug and walk away.

·
Moderatus Puisne
15,886 Posts
No up to tune...

Really, what's he going to do for the car?

Cancel the appointment, it's not as though he's missing out on other business for it.

Buy him lunch, or a six-pack, and have a chat about how they don't make 'em like they used to, or something.,.

·
Back from the dead
20,626 Posts
the_dude said:
i'm pretty sure they don't, which is why i was surprised with my own question. it was one of those early morning, pre-coffee, awkward conversation moments where you blurt out something ridiculous.
If your car doesn't need a tuneup, he should have said something about how your car doesn't need a tuneup. Cancel without a second thought.

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
the_dude said:
i just booked an appointment with the garage behind my office for a tuneup. i asked the mechanic on a whim, (whom i've known for years, but never used before), if i could drop it off for a tuneup sometime. i surprised myself with the question. he told me to bring it in monday. technically speaking, there is nothing that my car needs that i can't do myself for $50 (oil change, new plugs).

so the question is, would i be asking for a karma-induced enema if i canceled said appointment and did the work myself? i'm just as happy to support local business as the next guy, but money doesn't flow like water these days, and i could likely save $100-$200.

i'm leaning toward "you should've thought of that before you booked the appointment, dipshit. HTFU."
Who gets a tuneup on their car anyway? I only being mine in when something breaks (other than oil change of course).

·
Clear Lake, TX
3,269 Posts
Q: What does the car's manual say about spark plug replacement intervals?

1.) Huh? What manual? Real men don't read those stinkin' things anymore than ask where something is when we're in the hardware store!

2.) Intervals? I'm talkin' car stuff here, not bike training, ya moreon!

3.) Oh, you might be right. I only have _____ miles, so according to the manual there's no need to worry about new plugs or a tune up. Here, take my first born.

·
tofurkey hunting
4,733 Posts
call to cancel the appt. saying something came up.

on monday, call in sick to work (so he doesn't see your car) and go do something fun

double win

·
Registered
417 Posts
ampastoral said:
call to cancel the appt. saying something came up.

on monday, call in sick to work (so he doesn't see your car) and go do something fun

double win
or ride your bike to work

·
®
3,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Bocephus Jones II said:
Who gets a tuneup on their car anyway? I only being mine in when something breaks (other than oil change of course).

this is the first car i've ever bought new, and i feel neglectful for having done nothing in 75k miles other than oil changes and tires.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
the_dude said:
this is the first car i've ever bought new, and i feel neglectful for having done nothing in 75k miles other than oil changes and tires.
Air filter, cabin filter, plugs/wires, battery, belts - none of that stuff? Geesh, I want your car ;)

·
Who needs a map?
2,527 Posts
I've found that although I can do all that stuff, if I have some spare cash it's really nice taking it in. No oil spills in my driveway, no finding proper disposal facility for used oil, no burning my arm on the engine block, no satisfaction of doing it myself.

·
Beetpull DeLite
12,756 Posts
I'd at least do the following:

- When's the timing belt need changing, assuming it has one? Get that done ASAP if needed.
- Change coolant
- Change tranny fluid
- Change air & fuel filters
- Check wheel bearings
- Check brake pads
- Rear diff fluid if it's RWD or AWD
- If FWD, check CV joints/boots

What's the maintenance manual say?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts