Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm purchasing my first road bike. I'm doing my 2nd triathalon. I was offered a new Lemond Tourmalet for $800. list for between $1250 & $1350. I'm assuming the warranty will still be good thru treks contract date with Lemond thru 2010 as well as the bike shop i get it from. What about resell, or other factors i'm not considering?

Thanks any help would be great!

·
monkey with flamethrower
821 Posts
Trek will continue to honor the Lemond warranty through the lifetime of the product. And Treks warranty department is the best out of all the big bike companies. If there is a warranty you won't get a lemond frame though, probably an equivalent Trek or Klein frame. But those are great frames too.
The Lemond-Trek breakup will not affect the resale value of the bike in any way. If you like it, buy it, no other factors to consider.

·
Registered
11,555 Posts
It depends on what will happen to the Lemond line of bicycles, but Trek-built Lemonds may turn out to be the high point of the brand—both in terms of design and workmanship. I'd buy one right now if I needed yet another bicycle.

·
Registered
587 Posts
ashtamken said:
I'm purchasing my first road bike. I'm doing my 2nd triathalon. I was offered a new Lemond Tourmalet for $800. list for between $1250 & $1350. I'm assuming the warranty will still be good thru treks contract date with Lemond thru 2010 as well as the bike shop i get it from. What about resell, or other factors i'm not considering?

I would buy one at a LBS Fire Sale. Then when I got it home I'd send it off to a Custom Painter. I hate Lemond and everything he stands for. The guy is a glory hound and acts like a big whining "whoa is me" spoiled brat. I couldn't conciously race a frame with his name between my legs.

Aside from the name on the frame, Trek did do a damn fine job from an engineering standpoint. From what I understand they WILL NOT be honoring the lifetime warranty on the frame. But who cares when you can get a $3000 bike for $1000 bucks. That's what our LBS's are selling them for. They want Lemon OFF their floors. They are making room for the rebirth of Klein to populate the vacant floor space. :thumbsup:

·
Spicy Dumpling
9,723 Posts
I own two Lemonds and would jump on the deals if I needed a new bike. And all indications are that trek will honor the warranties, you may have to just get a trek frame as a replacement.

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
VaughnA said:
I own two Lemonds and would jump on the deals if I needed a new bike. And all indications are that trek will honor the warranties, you may have to just get a trek frame as a replacement.
Trek will honor the lifetime warranty on LeMonds to the original owner and bought from an authorized dealer.

If it breaks somewhere down the road, you'd get a Trek (or possibly a Klein) as a replacement.

Trek just honored the warranty on a Klein that was built before the "takeover." Cracked at the headtube/downtube junction. Customer was the original owner and had documentation of that. Trek gave him a 1.2 frame and fork and, while that's the entry level all aluminum frame, the customer was quite satisfied considering the Klein was over 15 years old.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Richard said:
Trek will honor the lifetime warranty on LeMonds to the original owner and bought from an authorized dealer.

If it breaks somewhere down the road, you'd get a Trek (or possibly a Klein) as a replacement.

Trek just honored the warranty on a Klein that was built before the "takeover." Cracked at the headtube/downtube junction. Customer was the original owner and had documentation of that. Trek gave him a 1.2 frame and fork and, while that's the entry level all aluminum frame, the customer was quite satisfied considering the Klein was over 15 years old.
I think you're right. A replacement frame would most likely be a KLEIN.

·
Banned
7,191 Posts
Trek invested a lot of money in the LeMond line- those new Min/Max frames will not be going away. Expect to see them, rebadged, sooner than later.

Buy the LeMond- the only thing that will be going away is the name- Trek owns every aspect of that bike except the name on the headbadge. So, yer LeMond is a Trek. Trek honors their warantees better than most.

As for resale, yer talking about an entry level bike. Ride it until the wheels fall off and then get something fancier. You'll never get a lot in resale on any entry level bike, unless you somehow find an "entry level" Richard Sachs...

·
haole from the mainland
5,966 Posts
Yes and I did. Bought a Poprad frameset earlier this month because I've wanted a steel LeMond for a long time. Figured it was now or never!

The whole Trek hub-bub doesn't bother me a bit.

ashtamken said:

·
Registered
232 Posts
Amen

master2129 said:
I would buy one at a LBS Fire Sale. Then when I got it home I'd send it off to a Custom Painter. I hate Lemond and everything he stands for. The guy is a glory hound and acts like a big whining "whoa is me" spoiled brat. I couldn't consciously race a frame with his name between my legs.
:thumbsup:
I like the bikes (except the paired spoked wheels), but I can't stand Greg Lemond. You don't hear The Cannibal (I'd ride a Merckx in a heartbeat!), The Badger, or Big Mig whining constantly or trying to downplay Lance's accomplishments. But Greg...:cryin: :cryin: :cryin: "I lost the 1991 tour because everyone else was on drugs" Lemond is an attention hound. He doesn't care about cycling, he only cares about himself.

·
NewRider
51 Posts
I just bought a Buenos Aires, great close-out price - love it!

I cant believe they wouldnt honor the warranty

Richard - i dont know how bike warranties work, but a warranty covers the product you purchased and if it's a lifetime warranty then the replacement should be the equivalent of the original product, irrespective of it's age.

Doesnt that make sense? What do you guys think?

·
monkey with flamethrower
821 Posts
deburn said:
I

Richard - i dont know how bike warranties work, but a warranty covers the product you purchased and if it's a lifetime warranty then the replacement should be the equivalent of the original product, irrespective of it's age.

Doesnt that make sense? What do you guys think?
Nope, thats not how it works in any way. Lifetime warranties cover the lifetime of the product, whatever the company decided the lifetime of the product is. Suppose my 30 year old Trek frame cracks at a brazed joint, do you think Trek would warranty it? They certainly would not. What if my 15 year old Kelty backpack blows a seam, is that a warranty issue? Nope.
The lifetime warranty covers the prospective life of the product, which with bicycles is around 10 years. Bicycles, like all consumer goods get used, and all consumer goods wear out, which is why they are consumable. Wearing your frame out after 15 years of use is not a warranty issue. .

·
Registered
177 Posts
Rubber Lizard said:
Nope, thats not how it works in any way. Lifetime warranties cover the lifetime of the product, whatever the company decided the lifetime of the product is. Suppose my 30 year old Trek frame cracks at a brazed joint, do you think Trek would warranty it? They certainly would not. What if my 15 year old Kelty backpack blows a seam, is that a warranty issue? Nope.
The lifetime warranty covers the prospective life of the product, which with bicycles is around 10 years. Bicycles, like all consumer goods get used, and all consumer goods wear out, which is why they are consumable. Wearing your frame out after 15 years of use is not a warranty issue. .
So what's the determinant of the "lifetime" of a frame? I wouldn't think that a manufacturer would say lifetime if they meant anything that would be significantly shorter than what's implied: Lifetime. Being the litigious bunch that we've become, wouldn't it be wiser to expressly state a fixed time frame rather than an ambiguous one that is, "oh say around about...hmmmm...10 years or so?" Or even take it a step further to say "intended lifetime of the frame not to exceed...."

I'm not calling you down as wrong, as I have no experience in warranty replacements on this level. I just see it strange that manufacturers would leave any room for interpretation.

·
Registered
11,555 Posts
I just see it strange that manufacturers would leave any room for interpretation.
A lot of warranty lingo in the sales pitches is just words from the marketing department—you have to read the fine print to see what's what. If company A sells twice as many gizmos than company B because A offers a "lifetime warranty", company B will simply rename their 10-year warranty into "lifetime warranty".

Also keep in mind that warrranty decisions have to be made on a case-by-case basis. At the extreme ends of this, think of a 10-year old frame with 60 miles on it (they're hanging in garages everywhere) as compared to a 2-year old frame with 7,000 miles, 80 organized events and 3 major crashes on its back.

/w

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.