Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
On the wrong floor again
1,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Took my new to me HED Stingers to my local shop, one of three in town he's a small shop but sells the best rides in town; Pinarello, Salsa, Look, BMC, etc. I've never glued tubulars so I bring them in with my Continental tires, they need valve extenders. He doesn't have any!! I want a new cassette, doesn't have one! I find this out today, but when I was in there yesterday, this wasn't mentioned. I should've asked for the wheels back and gone to another shop in town, but at that point it would have seemed really rude, and he's not someone I want to break ties with. I should mention that I might[/I] have these done by Wed.

Any thoughts?

Tim

·
Banned
6,492 Posts
I'd be a little peeved, not badly--you can't expect a small shop to have every part you might need. I probably would have said I'd look for them somewhere else and come back later. No reason for him to be upset about that. In any case, you'll still get them sooner than if you ordered online, plus you don't have to pay shipping.
Something else that occurs to me is that if you're going to ride tubulars, you have to learn to glue them, and then this problem becomes essentially moot. I have enough flat tires that the thought of now knowing how to fix one makes my feet hurt.

·
On the wrong floor again
1,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My thought was to have him show me how, but without the valve extenders, that can't happen. And without the cassette I can't ride them. I should've gone to the shop down the street, but I also ride with this guy all the time and we race together. I guess I let is slide for political reasons, around here the bike community is very small.

Tim

·
Shirtcocker
60,886 Posts
takl23 said:
My thought was to have him show me how, but without the valve extenders, that can't happen. And without the cassette I can't ride them. I should've gone to the shop down the street, but I also ride with this guy all the time and we race together. I guess I let is slide for political reasons, around here the bike community is very small.

Tim
Don't they make tubies with long valves these days?

·
On the wrong floor again
1,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yes, but I have a set without and don't want to spend another $160 on tires right now.

Tim

·
On the wrong floor again
1,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yesterday (Friday) I told him I was bringing them in to be glued and I hate tires with shorter valves and I needed a cassette as I stated in the first post, and it was never mentioned he didn't have any of this. I would've/could've gotten them at another shop very easily.

·
Registered
31 Posts
The key to my peevitude (peevocity?) would be the friday call saying you were bringing them in and he didn't mention he would not have what you needed. Brother should have told you it would take till weds. You're right to be peeved, also right to let it go in a small community.

·
Registered
12,593 Posts
How about going to the other shop, buying the valve extenders and cassette, bringing them back to this guy and having him show you how to glue the tubulars on and install the cassette. Yes, it will be a little inconvenient for you, but you wouldn't have had to post this thread. Just tell the other shop that you will be installing the extenders and cassette yourself, if they even ask. I install all my own stuff, and glue my own tubulars. I probably glue 4+ tires on a year, so you might want to learn how to do it.

·
On the wrong floor again
1,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
My goal is to learn how and to have him show me. He uses rim tape, which is fine and I've seen and read all about it, but I'd like someone to show me first time. I'm going to the other shop today to get brake pads and tubes for my training wheels, so I'm gonna see what they have.

·
On the wrong floor again
1,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So I went to the other shop just now, got the cassette and extenders. Called the shop that has my wheels, (they're closed Sunday's) left a voicemail not to order the above mentioned that I'd drop it off tomorrow. At this point I don't care.

Tim

·
Registered
12,593 Posts
It amazes me that retail establishments are closed on Sunday. Most people have to work Monday through Friday and Saturday and Sunday are their only days to get things done and go shopping. I guess your friend isn't too worried about making money.

·
On the wrong floor again
1,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
fabsroman said:
It amazes me that retail establishments are closed on Sunday. Most people have to work Monday through Friday and Saturday and Sunday are their only days to get things done and go shopping. I guess your friend isn't too worried about making money.
We had that discussion after our Tuesday ride this week actually. He's not a very good businessman, which is unfortunate, b/c if he goes under, we lose a shop that sells higher end bikes and not just trek, giant, cannondale, and every piece of crap that bontrager makes. No offense to bontrager fans of course :p

·
Registered
12,593 Posts
That really sucks. Sometimes, I think about starting my own bike shop because there aren't many specialty shops around where I live that cater to the upper end, but then I think twice about it.

I almost went the Bontrager/Trek route because I didn't think I could afford a Colnago. Then I thought twice about it and decided on a Bianchi, only to find a deal on a Colnago Cristallo so that I could afford my dream bike. Now, I'm saving for a C50.

Let us know how it all goes on Monday.

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
takl23 said:
I also ride with this guy all the time and we race together. I guess I let is slide for political reasons, around here the bike community is very small.

Tim
Why do you need these wheels so darn quick? If you did need a quick turn around, then why didn't you ever mention this when dropping them off? I don't think you are being unreasonable for wanting them done in a day or two, but you should have asked for that when you dropped them off. To assume that a small shop has your cassette in the right ratio for you, and the valve extenders on hand is just that -an assumption.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.