Votes: 39 92.9%
  • No

Votes: 3 7.1%
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an opportunity to get a BMC Impec with Dura Ace Di for 1/3 of the new price because it was a demo. Basically the same price as the new Ultegra (non Di) bikes that I am considering.

I know opinions will vary, but would you take a deal for a demo bike?

FWIW...The other 2 bikes are the Giant Propel and Cannondale SuperSix Evo Hi-Mod.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Yes if they would honor the original warranty. If it's a good bike at the regular price then you're getting to buy it at a steep discount. Since it's a demo it was probably taken very good care of by the dealer since he would want riders to have a good cycling experience.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Yes if they would honor the original warranty. If it's a good bike at the regular price then you're getting to buy it at a steep discount. Since it's a demo it was probably taken very good care of by the dealer since he would want riders to have a good cycling experience.
definitely

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
I would and have. The only caveat is to make sure you trust the shop, and that they are willing to stand behind the purchase if you run into issues.

There is a good chance there are no warranty replacements available for your bike, so make sure the bike shop is willing to help out with any issues that might come up.

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
If instead of labeling it a "demo," you called it a slightly used bike (a few hundred miles?) that was maintained by a shop, would you buy it at 67% off the new price? The question answers itself.

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
Sounds like a good deal. If it rides and shifts well, go for it. Ditto about the warranty. The key for me is whether the bike shop will stand behind the bike.

I voted No though, because I keep a bike for a long time and just like being the original owner.

·
Cycling Addict
5,178 Posts
Most manufacturers honor the warranty on shop demo bikes, so I would double check BMC's policy on this. Otherwise, as others have posted, if you trust the dealer it seems a no-brainer.

·
Registered
4,975 Posts
Yeah, absolutely.

·
Registered
5,347 Posts
That 10sp DI2 is why it is so cheap. It's orphaned. You can't upgrade it, only replace it.
OTOH if you're happy buying a new bike with a four year old group on it then it's a killer deal.
Nothing wrong with 10sp; I have only just now gotten around to buying the parts to update my race bike to 11sp.

·
Registered
4,975 Posts
Thanks for the input!

To clarify, the Propel and SuperSix are brand new models with with 11 speed Ultegra. The Impec is a 2013 or 2014 with 10 Speed DA Di.

Edit: This is the bike. It is at a local shop and I have ridden it.
That's an interesting bike. The frame construction at the connections is pretty unique. The Zipp aero bars aren't for everyone. I can't make out the wheels at a glance. 4K is a lot, even if it's way below retail for a new, this years model. I wouldn't jump on it simply because of the markdown, there are a lot of great bikes in that price range.

What does it weigh as shown?

·
Registered
11,088 Posts
Trek_5200;5021646 I voted No though said:
there are no 'previous' owners of a demo...just people that have thrown a leg over it and ridden it some minor distance.

in a few short miles, even a 'brand new' bike is a used bike, so not pocketing a giant chunk of change just to be the first person to ride something doesn't seem worth it.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
It weights about 17lbs.

I think I talked myself into the deal on this one. I am replacing a 57cm LiteSpeed that is too big for me (check the classifieds soon!) and the top tube on the Impec is even longer (579mm) than my current one (565). Honestly, at this point, I am not sure how I felt comfortable, or am I letting the numbers fool me. My bike shop buddy told me "NO!!!" to the 57 and my fitter recommended 555mm.

Sorry for the thread drift...I will check a few things (notably the stem length, as it seems short) but may be heading towards the awkward "I want my deposit back" discussion.

·
Registered
3,935 Posts
I would and I did, a Crockett 5 - $1759 new for $1000 so 56% of MSRP, with a full warranty to me the original owner.

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
I have an opportunity to get a BMC Impec with Dura Ace Di for 1/3 of the new price because it was a demo. Basically the same price as the new Ultegra (non Di) bikes that I am considering.

I know opinions will vary, but would you take a deal for a demo bike?

FWIW...The other 2 bikes are the Giant Propel and Cannondale SuperSix Evo Hi-Mod.
I bought a demo bike, rode it for 4 years and then sold it for about $200 less that the price I paid for it. One of the best deals I ever got. You just have to make sure that they will honor the original warranty.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts