Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,

I have about 1500 miles on my Vittoria Open Corsa CX tires (290s). They have been simply fantastic so far. They're still in good shape – smoothed out to be sure, but very few if any real nicks or cuts – and not a flat yet. They hold air very well. But next week I'll be riding in what for me is the most important ride of the year - a mountain century that is semi-competitive, not a race, but the first 200 guys treat it that way. If you were me, would you change these tires out (I have two new GP 4000s waiting to go on the rims) or would you keep riding them, seeing as how well they've performed.

·
A wheelist
11,324 Posts
If there were no cuts I'd keep riding them. So just the file tread has smoothed out plus maybe a bit of rubber is gone. If and when you do sideline that tire try this - cut the tire straight across and see just how much rubber is really left. I've done this before and have been surprised at the thickness remaining.

** Disclaimer !!! If a flat tire ruins your ride don't blame me! Feel free to ignore the above advice :D

·
Registered
21,639 Posts
Flat out

SBH1973 said:
If you were me, would you change these tires out (I have two new GP 4000s waiting to go on the rims) or would you keep riding them, seeing as how well they've performed.
Those tires look to be in pretty good shape, thouhg it is hard to judge tread thickness from the pictures. That said, your chances of a flat are not that much different with a thinner (worn tread) tire than a new one, since the glass shard, bit of wire, thorn, rock chip, etc. is going to be able to pierce either tire.

If it's goint to bother you, put the GP 4000s on ASAP and ride them in the big ride. New tires sometimes have mold release agent on them which makes them a bit slippery until you've got some miles on, so don't wait to change them until the day before the ride. Then you can switch back to the Vittorias and wear them out. There's not enough performance difference between the tires that riding either one is going to make a difference in this ride cum race.

·
Höchstgeschwindigkeit
1,378 Posts
What he said but you could also buy a 3rd Corso to put on the rear. Use the new tire until worn and see if you want to put the old one back on for more miles. Once your are done with the 2 rears toss them all(3) and put on the Contis.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for your thoughts on this. You know, I think I'm going to ride them. I'm afraid of changing anything up a week before this ride. My bike is running beautifully and I don't want to jinx it. I'll stick one of the GP400s (209 grams) in my back pocket and, should I flat, oh well - I lose 5 minutes on a 6 hour ride. There are few major descents - it's pretty much flat and then straight up, and I think the front tire is in fine shape.

In other words, I'll take my chances.

·
Registered
409 Posts
mimason said:
What he said but you could also buy a 3rd Corso to put on the rear. Use the new tire until worn and see if you want to put the old one back on for more miles. Once your are done with the 2 rears toss them all(3) and put on the Contis.

If anything, he should change the front tire because he is more likely to crash if a front tire flats than a rear.

·
Höchstgeschwindigkeit
1,378 Posts
Ghost234 said:
If anything, he should change the front tire because he is more likely to crash if a front tire flats than a rear.
I know the routine as best advise and follow it most of the time. However, I find my front tire still in good condition after two rear changes as I tend to wear rears out quickly. Typically flats are in the rear.

·
Registered
21,639 Posts
Rotation

mimason said:
I find my front tire still in good condition after two rear changes as I tend to wear rears out quickly.
Which is why, when your rear tire wears out, you move the front tire to the back and put a new one one the front. This gives you the best rubber on the front all the time, lets you get the maximum wear out of every tire, and certainly is more economical than throwing out front tires that still have lots of rubber left on them just because you've worn out two rear tires. It what is called "best practice."

·
Höchstgeschwindigkeit
1,378 Posts
The guy is switching to Contis after the Vittorias. What tire do you put on the front when you rotate the last Vit to the rear????? That's why I said to toss them all at the end. Personally, I don't mismatch brands but that is me.

Have fun at your rotation party.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm not rotating. I'm going to keep the front Vitt on for a little while longer and put a new Conti on the back when the rear Vitt is done. The front has another 1500 miles to go, I think.

·
Höchstgeschwindigkeit
1,378 Posts
OP, If this is the case then what everyone here is saying the better option is to put the Conti on front and front vit to the rear.

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
Keep riding it.

It has smoothed over but from the pics, it isn't completely squared off. That tire has another 101 miles left in it, at 102 miles... :D Fatal road hazards, can happen to a new or old tire.

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
Last year before a hilly century I changed out my Corsa Cx rear.
I flatted in the first 12 miles. Had another flat about mile 20. Got a new tire and threw it away (supported ride).
Would I had a flat on my old one? Who knows but I wasted 60 dollars for 20 miles.
I would ride what you have.

·
Diesel Engine
898 Posts
Nothing wrong with that tire, leave it on for your pseudo-race. No need to make needless changes/maintenance before a big event, you may break something that wasn't broken to begin with (and find out about it during the ride which would be a bummer).

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Mike Prince said:
Nothing wrong with that tire, leave it on for your pseudo-race. No need to make needless changes/maintenance before a big event, you may break something that wasn't broken to begin with (and find out about it during the ride which would be a bummer).
Thanks. I think you guys are right. The only thing that prompted me to ask this question was the fact that these are Vittoria Open Corsas, which have a reputation for being not very durable (to put it mildly). I have been very pleasantly surprised by them so far, though, and am only trying the Conti GP 4000s for comparison sake (and because I've heard they're more durable). But I may go back to the Contis next spring.

·
Registered
21,639 Posts
Mixing tires

mimason said:
The guy is switching to Contis after the Vittorias. What tire do you put on the front when you rotate the last Vit to the rear????? That's why I said to toss them all at the end. Personally, I don't mismatch brands but that is me.

Have fun at your rotation party.
There certainly is nothing wrong with mixing brands of tires except that it might offend your tender sensibilities. It's a matter of whether your priorities are; cost savings vs. appearance. Just saying.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Update: No Flats, Sweet Ride on the Vitts for this weekend's century

Well, I road the Vittorias, which performed flawlessly for another 102 miles, on today's century. They're as hard as they were when I pumped them up last night. I'm almost regretting buying GP 4000s as replacements, seeing as these are now at 1750 miles or so without a hitch.

The ride - Bridge to Bridge Century Challenge in Caldwell County, NC – was fantastic. About 500-550 riders, very fast for the first 50 miles, then 50 miles of some pretty tough climbing, with a final 1.8-mile, 900 foot climb - 10889 feet of climbing altogether according to my Garmin (the event claims over 10588, but they had to change the route slightly at the last minute, which may have changed the total elevation gain). The results haven't been posted, but think I finished somewhere around 75th - 6:02:14 total time, 5:58:54 total riding time (nature called and the water bottles needed to be refilled a few times). I did what I always try to do on a century – hang in on the flats with the main group until the real hills begin and knock out the first half the ride in about 2 hours, and then settle in at my own pace for the next 50 miles (I did take a few pulls and closed down a couple gaps that opened up - I didn't just sandbag!). The best time was 5:00:23, a ride record - probably a pro, as he came in 15 minutes ahead of anyone else. Overall, I had a great ride, great time for me (just 10 minutes slower than my 2003 time on this ride, when I was 30), no flats, no technicals, no crashes, nice and steady - a very nice way to cap off a season of riding.

Anyway, thanks for advising me not to tinker with my bike by changing out the tires, which is riding wonderfully right now. If you're interested, here's the information from the Garmin 500:

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/49738245

Oh, and here's me about 100 yards from the finish on my Kestrel RT900. You can't see the pain in my face, but it was there. I did need to stop about 1.5 miles into the final climb up the mountain for about 20-30 seconds to collect my thoughts and let my heart rate, which had reached 190 (not too healthy for my 37-year old heart) drop down a few beats. And then, about .20 miles from the finish (and I'm averaging 5 mph on the 14-15% grades of this final climb), my left hamstring just kind of gave out - it was like nothing I've ever experienced, not a cramp, not painful, but as if it had just deflated and wasn't contracting anymore. I really thought that I was going to have to stop with the finish line 1000 feet away. I compensated with my right leg, which began to feel as if it was going to give out as well. But with about 500 feet to go the adrenaline took over and I put the hammer down one last time and made it to the top of the mountain. And while I was a bit wobbly after getting off the bike, I'm walking fine and am feeling no pain. Weird.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.