Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
this is my first post on this forum; i was transferred here from mtbr.com :confused:

anyway, from a local classifieds ad

they're asking $500 obo. is this reasonable for this bike?

he says it's a cyclo cross singlespeed, but it has v-brakes and a rear cassette (but no derailleur lol). i think it's a good looking bike...

· Registered
656 Posts
well...if it can race cross I guess it's technically a cross bike...

looks like they look the lazy way to singlespeed conversion... you can easily pop off the other gears and replace with spacers if you're so inclined.

But man, that compact frame...blech

· Registered
2,229 Posts
it looks like 650 wheels? I think you can do better for $500, you need different brakes and derailers and perhaps different gearing and well different tires too, so now you are up to the cost of a new entry Redline or similar cross bike. The compact frame is kind of icy too as you can't get your arm through it to carry.

I'd keep looking, I think those are low end frames too if memory serves.

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks for all the replies guys.

i'm a SSer and am not a fan of that cheap tensioner, and especially not of a full cassette! when the guy told me "it has a full cassette so you can run any single speed you want" i just lol'd, but i didn't let it be the deciding factor...

he also mentioned that the drop TT made it easier to NOT get racked, but i've never seen a cross bike with such a setup. in all honesty that looks to me like a 29er MTB frame with road wheels and road handlebar. and hell, i didn't know they made seat posts that long! lol

anyway, there were many things wrong with this bike, and i was kinda planning on just upgrading where it needed it (crankset, cassette, brakes, pedals, etc.), but i just wanted to know if the bike as-is was worth $500. judging by the responses, i'd say no. :D

i couldn't find any info at all on that LD416 frame, and on Leader's website they didn't even list a frame non-MTB that had a dropped TT like that. the frames averaged very low prices, indeed. i kinda wanted the bike just for a commuter, and it would rarely see the trails (and i don't race cross) because i have other bikes for that, but oh well...

thanks again for everyone's input!

· Registered
302 Posts
Leader...

Leader were flogging a bunch of these '416-CR' 'cross-style' frames through their ebay shop a few months ago - apparently their contract manufacturer in taiwan or china or wherever had screwed up and put the top tube brake cable braze-ons on the underside of the TT instead of the top, so Leader ran them out really cheap. This looks like one of the VERY small sizes. They're supposed to be pretty robust but on the heavy side. Would probably make a decent commuter/pub bike, but a crosser? Methinks not.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.