Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's the deal. We have a great venue for a night race and a full cross race. So we were thinking about putting on 3 races in 2 days in July.

My proposed schedule:
Sat night at 8:00 at dusk a 30 minute Short track under the lights.
Sunday morning 11:00 or so a 2 lap TT on the full course, then 2 hours later a 50 minute race. It'll be HOT for the full race; the TT and short track shouldn't be too bad. It would be an omnium, so people could just race on Sunday. Entry would be $15 for Sat night, $20 for the 2 races on Sunday, and $30 for all 3 races.

We likely won't have many participants, so won't have much payout (of course, this is a vicious cycle, but we figure we better keep it simple).
Anyway, I'm trying to figure out how many people would drive 2 hours (our distance from St. Louis) do such a race in summer. There are no local races that weekend, but it's at a busy time of the year and many people are proabably ready for a weekend off, which likely will hurt attendance.

I have plenty of race promotion experience (I've promoted 27 races previously), but this is of course uncharted territory. I'm on the fence as to whether it makes sense to carry out. It sounds like a blast to me, and I want to race it, but I'm not sure we'll have enough participation to make it feasible.

·
Lexicon Devil
964 Posts
I'd be all about it, in fact, I'm dying to race cross right now. I'm getting tired of all this road-racing business. :) I think you're underestimating how badly some of us want to race cross. Considering that by July, most road races are off of the schedule, there isn't much in terms of racing except for the random crit.

Where are you located? I'm in Cincinnati, Ohio and I'd be willing to drive a decent distance to ride my bike in the mud and dirt.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm just looking to break even. I've lost money promoting a race in the past (most promoters have), it sucks explaining that to the wife....

The race would be in Carbondale, IL, so it's about 5.5 hours from Cinci, 2 from St. Louis, 3.5 from Louisville, 3 from Nashville, and 3 from Memphis. It's not far from anywhere, but it's not close either. I'm hoping there are some people who would be willing to drive, but I'm grounded in my expectations on that, particularly with high gas prices.

·
Not Banned
49,249 Posts
If I was in the area I'd do it.

out here in San Diego our gloomiest weather months are May and June. We're gonna do pirate races on weekend mornings

·
vegan wrench
160 Posts
i used to do a mountain bike stage race back in england in the mid 90s that was a 10min or so time trial on saturday morning. then a 12 mile or so race on saturday afternoon and a 15 mile race on sunday. i was a youth at the time so you can adjust the distances but what i remember was that it was awesome fun. i think i was 11 or 12 the first time i did it and it probably almost killed me but it was the time of my life!

ps, atpjunkie, i would totally be interested in pirate cross races in san diego.

G

·
bloodthirstylust said:
i used to do a mountain bike stage race back in england in the mid 90s that was a 10min or so time trial on saturday morning. then a 12 mile or so race on saturday afternoon and a 15 mile race on sunday. i was a youth at the time so you can adjust the distances but what i remember was that it was awesome fun. i think i was 11 or 12 the first time i did it and it probably almost killed me but it was the time of my life!

ps, atpjunkie, i would totally be interested in pirate cross races in san diego.
If the calendar allowed it I'd fly to SD to do them as well.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Since most cross races arent until Sept or or even oct in most areas, doing a race in July wouldnt make sense to me. I mean, id kinda have to train just for that race, then it would be 2 months until the next cross race.

Now, if it were a summer series that went from july to august, then the real season began in september that would make more sense to me. cause your summer series would be a lead in to the dedicated season and would be a good way to build fitness as the season approached.

i wouldnt do your race in july, because i wouldnt have the fitness to do it. is what im trying to say.

however, i really like the idea of the event and think it'd be really fun to do an omnium style cross race.

·
Lexicon Devil
964 Posts
jeremyb said:
Since most cross races arent until Sept or or even oct in most areas, doing a race in July wouldnt make sense to me. I mean, id kinda have to train just for that race, then it would be 2 months until the next cross race.

Now, if it were a summer series that went from july to august, then the real season began in september that would make more sense to me. cause your summer series would be a lead in to the dedicated season and would be a good way to build fitness as the season approached.

i wouldnt do your race in july, because i wouldnt have the fitness to do it. is what im trying to say.

however, i really like the idea of the event and think it'd be really fun to do an omnium style cross race.
The point of a race in July is because there aren't any races in July. By July, you should be in optimum cycling condition, given that you've probably got about 2000-5000 miles in the legs. The only thing that might need a bit of work would be the standard dismounts and CX-specific technical sections - but that's the nice part of an out-of-season race - it gives you a chance to refresh those skills for the upcoming CX season.

·
More Cowbell!
4,832 Posts
Doctor Who said:
The point of a race in July is because there aren't any races in July. By July, you should be in optimum cycling condition, given that you've probably got about 2000-5000 miles in the legs. The only thing that might need a bit of work would be the standard dismounts and CX-specific technical sections - but that's the nice part of an out-of-season race - it gives you a chance to refresh those skills for the upcoming CX season.
That's assuming that all of us race other types of bike races. If you just race cross, about now is the time to quit eating doughnuts and get up off the couch.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Doctor Who said:
I agree if you do road races.

Also i think 30-60 min cx strength is different than 40-70 mi road race strength.

my point was just that i think the series would be more popular and have a larger turnout if it was the first race of the CX season like late August or mid Sept than mid july, early april or any other time of the year.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.