Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I often seen old but advertised as classic Team issue bikes for sale in fleabay. Would you ever consider buying a Team Saxobank, USPS, Astana or whatever bike to ride?

·
Registered
152 Posts
I picked up a bike a couple of years ago for my Dad. It appeared to have been meticulously maintained and well cared for. He has put several thousand miles on it and it has served him well. I have an attorney friend who has several bikes displayed in his conference room that don't get ridden much as well.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Just depends on your mentality. The bikes themselves aren't special from a technical standpoint (old bikes are trumped many times over by the new technologies), but if it's a bike from your favorite team or rider, just having their bike (or other sports bat, glove, ball, etc) will make you happy, buy it. A few months ago I believe Garmin was selling off some of their race bikes as most bikes don't get more than say 3-5k miles on them before they're switched out by most major teams. A lot of times it's still cheaper to get these used bikes than buying new, so a lot of people buy them just because they can and know they were professionally maintained. Now, would I buy a bike that was ridden on Roubaix? Sentiment yes, but to ride? No. Vs say a Tour of California bike...

Just depends on having a bike that has seen pro racing (and it fits if you plan to ride it) to compliment your collection.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I would and I have. If the bike is a good fit and the specs suit you well, I don't see why it would be an issue.

·
Registered
561 Posts
MarshallH1987 said:
just make sure it is in good condition and there shouldn't be any issues. They will have been maintained very well, but also raced hard.
Exactly. The mechanics baby those bikes but the racers punish them. I'd be very careful buying any used bike but you might get a great deal. A guy around here bought Barry Wicks old Kona cross bike (which I'm sure was thrashed every week) and so far it's been great for the new owner.

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,421 Posts
Sure, as long as you know what to look for in frame damage.
When Motorola shut down, they were selling bikes, frames and wheels, at the State road race.
I picked up two nice wheels. One was a traditional TT sew up front wheel. 28 hole box rim, radial blades on a slotted Dura Ace hub. The other was a 28 hole 2X sew up wolber box rim with a Dura Ace hub.

I use the TT wheel on TT's when it's real windy, and the other as a road race front, or in Crits that don't have killer turns.

·
Burnum Upus Quadricepus
2,017 Posts
Probably not.

Mainly because I no longer bend and flex quite the same way the pros do. It would look silly with a riser stem on it.

But also because the bikes I already have wish they had a better motor. It would be like putting a lawnmower engine in a Ferrari.

·
Registered
833 Posts
I did. And I then got another 25,000km or so out of the wheels and dura-ace components (replacing chains, etc along the way). The only thing a little weird was that the frame seemed to have been repainted without stripping the original paint job. Bought it from the rider who raced it.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Yep I would...esp from HTC Columbia...Someone is bound to get kicked out of tour and KFC (ka Fn Ching) new bikes for sale!!!

sign me up!!

·
Registered
12,085 Posts
Only if it were a smokin' hot deal. I was thinking about doing this last year, but my friend associated with the team recommended against it since the bikes were raced hard and often (as noted by MarshallH1987). One of the riders noted that transportation to and from races could be just as hard on the bike, too.

·
Registered
614 Posts
spade2you said:
Only if it were a smokin' hot deal. I was thinking about doing this last year, but my friend associated with the team recommended against it since the bikes were raced hard and often (as noted by MarshallH1987). One of the riders noted that transportation to and from races could be just as hard on the bike, too.
Yep bunny hop everthing when they are free...

The trick is to buy a race bike and not a training bike.

·
Registered
5,263 Posts
Well, my mindset is, "Gimme yo goddam bike!"

If it's somehow in my price range (as spade2you notes "smokin' hot deal"), I'll ride it, accidentally scratch it and chip it here and there, see it's last days.

If I wanted to keep a pretty and fancy bike, it'd never be ridden and hanging in my room. I don't have the money, and especially the mindset for that nonsense however.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,979 Posts
I've seen these advertised and always wondered how would know if they're genuine?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts