Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm just wondering if this would be considered a hard day by your standards. I was honestly pretty whipped for a good hour after this. And felt it the next morning.
77 miles
Just under 6000 ft of climbing
Just under 5 hours. (15.9 mph avg.)
Solo
Little/no wind

Towards the end of it I just wasn't quite as responsive going up a hill or If it wanted to accellerate.
Should I be this tired? lol Kind of a stupid questoin I know, but really what im asking is, is this considered a tough ride.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
I'd be pretty damn tired, but I'm still fat :) Even with my nice, light bike, I'd be tired.

If you're hoping to be Levi next year, yes you are severely out of shape and you need to get your butt into training, pronto! If you're a rec rider, that's just fine, especially in March.

What are your goals? Any races? Just training for some century rides?

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
P.S. It could also be as simple as you didn't eat enough calories, didn't drink enough water, didn't get enough sleep the night before, etc. :)

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes I do plan on racing. (junior/cat 5) And I would consider myself in good shape. And hell, If I can be levi next year, I will!! lol :)

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Gregpape23 said:
Yes I do plan on racing. (junior/cat 5) And I would consider myself in good shape. And hell, If I can be levi next year, I will!! lol :)
Anytime you're doing multiple hour rides, make sure you're eating PLENTY of calories. Stretch plenty before your ride (and whenever you stop). Make sure you sleep plenty the night before.

I have a friend who does CAT4/5 races for the fun of it but he says he's not dedicated enough to be a "real" raced, plus he drinks too much beer ;) He can kick butt in the races, but when he tries centuries, he dies! You just have to practice more :) And try a ride partner.

·
Registered
70 Posts
RoadBikeVirgin said:
Stretch plenty before your ride (and whenever you stop)./QUOTE]

Focus on dynamic stretches if any at all. Static stretching relaxes the muscle, dynamic stretches prepare the muscle for activity. Static stretches would be best saved for the end of your ride.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
porksoda87 said:
RoadBikeVirgin said:
Stretch plenty before your ride (and whenever you stop)./QUOTE]

Focus on dynamic stretches if any at all. Static stretching relaxes the muscle, dynamic stretches prepare the muscle for activity. Static stretches would be best saved for the end of your ride.
Sorry for not being more specific. Thanks :thumbsup:

·
Cpark
2,062 Posts
Gregpape23 said:
I'm just wondering if this would be considered a hard day by your standards. I was honestly pretty whipped for a good hour after this. And felt it the next morning.
77 miles
Just under 6000 ft of climbing
Just under 5 hours. (15.9 mph avg.)
Solo
Little/no wind

Towards the end of it I just wasn't quite as responsive going up a hill or If it wanted to accellerate.
Should I be this tired? lol Kind of a stupid questoin I know, but really what im asking is, is this considered a tough ride.

Thanks!
Cant' speak for other members but I'd be tired after,

Any ride for 77 mile whether it's flat or hilly.
Any ride with 6000 ft of climbing.
Any solo ride for 5 hours.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts